Jump to content

Cuts around the league...


Beerfish
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Chris Herndon played really good during our final 3 games man.

I'm not ready to quit on this kid until I see how he plays under Mike LaFleur because he was awesome under Bowles as a Rookie until Gase got here. 

I'm ready lol 

If he is on the team I will root as hard for him as anyone else, but my feeling is that JD knows how undependable he's been. numerous injuries, suspension, mental lapses, lack of effort etc.  The saving grace is that he played for Gase and an abandoned and declining Darnold for two years.  The theory that he could have that after gase bounce back has potential.  

I'd rather get a 4th-5th for him if possible and roll with Griffin, Kroft, Yeaboah (who'd better snap the hell out of it) and Wesco as an emergency TE than give Herndon any more chances.  Then just take a legit stud TE in the draft next year. 

Let's see how it goes.  Again, I'm all about it if he can bounce back. I'm not rooting "against" him.  Just not impressed. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Chris Herndon played really good during our final 3 games man.

I'm not ready to quit on this kid until I see how he plays under Mike LaFleur because he was awesome under Bowles as a Rookie until Gase got here. 

All of our players looked better before Gase got here...

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Do any quality players who can come in and immediately start (as an upgrade) even ever get released during this time of year? 

It's not a usual thing, but sometimes from the really good, deep teams you may get lucky. It's not always just about getting a starter, though. If you can get a player or two who is better than what you currently have, you are still getting better as a team.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I'm sure the Jets will look to add some guys from the waiver wire as cuts are made, but it's hard to see how many spots will be available and for good reason: players are making their case to remain on the roster. A lot can happen between now and the start of the season from an injury standpoint, but this is my read on it right now... 

 

Positions the Jets may outsource via camp cuts/waivers/trades

Linebacker: possibly 1 new addition- 5 on active roster 

CJ Mosley has been on fire, Jarrad Davis is locked into a starting spot, and Hamsah Nasirildeen (6th) has come along quicker than expected (although that may not be such a surprise to the drafnik community). Jamien Sherwood (5th) has had moments in camp, as has Blake Cashman when healthy. It's hard to see the Jets carrying more than 5 linebackers, and if any of them were to be moved it would be Cashman. The guy the Jets were interested in this offseason was LAR's Kenny Young, but it looks like he's locked up a starting role on their defense. Still, this is a position where surprising players get cut, and if an injury occurs or someone they didn't expect becomes available, I think the Jets would pounce. 

Tight End: possibly 1 new addition- 3-to-4 on active roster 

The Jets may have some flexibility here, as Trevon Wesco serves as both a FB and a TE. Ryan Griffin appears to be hurt, so I think the Jets will take advantage and put him on temporary IR. Kroft, Herndon, and Wesco would be the 3 that make it with Daniel Brown being the odd-man out, but it's possible that they carry 4 and add someone off waivers/via trade, or they carry 3 and cut/trade Herndon (disappointing fall from grace). Kenny Yeboah hasn't shown enough to warrant a roster spot, but could be added to the Practice Squad. There are a few teams who will be forced into making some surprising cuts at TE so I wouldn't rule anything out here. 

Quarterbacks: possibly 1 new addition- 2 on the active roster 

The backup QBs have come on of late, so there's certainly a possibly that one of James Morgan or Mike White enter the season as the backup as the Jets try to stash the other on the practice squad. Maybe they add a veteran, but they haven't shown any indications that it's a priority for them. 

Special Teams: possibly 2 new additions- 3 on the active roster 

Thomas Hennessy is safe. I think Braden Mann is likely safe. Matt Ammendola is the front-runner right now, but he's not stopping the Jets from adding a proven kicker if one comes available. 

 

Positions the Jets are unlikely to outsource  

Defensive Backs: projecting no new additions- 10-to-11 on active roster

It sounds like the Jets are going to roll with their young corners. Forget the fans, it takes some balls to throw a bunch of young guys into the fire because you do risk them losing confidence, but in some respects it will allow the Jets a clear evaluation which guys will rise to the top of the depth chart now and in the future. Bless Austin, Bryce Hall, and Javelin Guidry are likely to enter the season as starters, but a lot of rookies have impressed too: Michael Carter II (5th), Jason Pinnock (5th), Brandin Echols (6th), Isaiah Dunn (UDFA) all have made a case to land roster spots, and ST/DB Justin Hardee is virtually guaranteed one. Elijah Campbell and Lamar Jackson are both guys that they'll likely try to stash on the practice squad, but still, carrying 8 corners is not traditional. In response, my guess is they'll only carry 3 safeties to start the season - Maye, Joyner, and Neasman - while stashing Ashtyn Davis on PUP/IR; Michael Carter II can play safety in a pinch and they can always bring up someone from the practice squad to fill in if need be,  

Defensive line: projecting no new additions- 8-to-9 on active roster

This is where they're going to have the hardest time. Of the 14 that are currently active, 6 are locked into roster spots: Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, Folorunso Fatukasi, John Franklin-Myers, Carl Lawson, and Bryce Huff. That leaves coach's favorite Ronald Blair, Nathan Shepherd (who has had an impressive camp), rookie 6th round pick Jonathan Marshall, last year's 3rd round pick Jabari Zuniga, impressive UDFAs Michael Dwumfour and Hamilcar Rashed Jr., and a few back-of-the-roster veterans to compete for 2 spots. Not to mention, Vinny Curry will likely have a spot when he returns (projected week 2) and a decision will have to be made on Kyle Phillips too. I'm guessing they'll try to stash a few of these guys on IR or the practice squad, but one thing I'm confident in is that they will not be adding anyone via cuts. If Zuniga is healthy, he may be the odd man out. 

Offensive line: projecting no new additions- 8-to-9 on active roster 

Jets have pretty solid depth and will be forced into making some difficult decisions. It looks like it'll be LT Becton, LG Vera-Tucker, C McGovern, RG Van Roten, RT Moses, T Fant, T/G McDermott, G/C Feeney, and they'll stash Cameron Clark, Parker Ferguson, and Teton Saltes on PUP/IR. 

Wide Receiver: projecting no new additions- 6-to-7 on active roster

Like CB and DL, the Jets are going to have trouble slimming this position down. Corey Davis, Jamison Crowder, Keelan Cole, Elijah Moore, and Denzel Mims (yes- despite his camp status) are virtual locks. Berrios has been impressive and the coaching staff has a very high opinion of him. Vyncint Smith, Jeff Smith, and Lawrence Cager have had strong camps. Not sure how this position will round out, but highly doubt they'll be adding someone to the group. 

Running Backs: projecting no new additions- 4 on active roster 

Michael Carter and Ty Johnson are pretty much locks. Tevin Coleman and La'Mical Perine have clearly separated themselves from the rest. If one gets hurt it'll be the next man up, and my guess is they'll try to stash Austin Walter/Josh Adams on the practice squad. 

 

Welcome back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No need to get "personal" with me it was just a Football question I had man.

Since you know so much @Integrity28 please list your top 10 FA signings from August 16th (and beyond) dating back to 2000 of 21 years ago. 

1.) ____

2.) ____

3.) ____

4.) ____

5.) ____

6.) ____

7.) ____

8.)  ____

9.) ____

10.) ____

It was a good football question I had and one I didn't know the answer to but @Integrity28 since you're such a Football guru I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem filling in the blanks in order to teach me something.

Please don't use "Google" either.

image.gif.aa562eedb31ee3072a649ca551c8c5d5.gif

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'd rather get a 4th-5th for him if possible and roll with Griffin, Kroft, Yeaboah (who'd better snap the hell out of it) and Wesco as an emergency TE than give Herndon any more chances.  Then just take a legit stud TE in the draft next year. 

Let's see how it goes.  Again, I'm all about it if he can bounce back. I'm not rooting "against" him.  Just not impressed. 

 

Wow, you really think Herndon has trade value?  I'd love it if he did but even JD can't make bricks w/o straw.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No need to get "personal" with me it was just a Football question I had man.

Since you know so much @Integrity28 please list your top 10 FA signings from August 16th (and beyond) dating back to 2000 of 21 years ago. 

1.) ____

2.) ____

3.) ____

4.) ____

5.) ____

6.) ____

7.) ____

8.)  ____

9.) ____

10.) ____

It was a good football question I had and one I didn't know the answer to but @Integrity28 since you're such a Football guru I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem filling in the blanks in order to teach me something.

Please don't use "Google" either.

what is it with you and these lists? i feel like every time you get into an argument the other person needs to fill out an application.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm sure the Jets will look to add some guys from the waiver wire as cuts are made, but it's hard to see how many spots will be available and for good reason: players are making their case to remain on the roster. A lot can happen between now and the start of the season from an injury standpoint, but this is my read on it right now... 

 

Positions the Jets may outsource via camp cuts/waivers/trades

Linebacker: possibly 1 new addition- 5 on active roster 

CJ Mosley has been on fire, Jarrad Davis is locked into a starting spot, and Hamsah Nasirildeen (6th) has come along quicker than expected (although that may not be such a surprise to the drafnik community). Jamien Sherwood (5th) has had moments in camp, as has Blake Cashman when healthy. It's hard to see the Jets carrying more than 5 linebackers, and if any of them were to be moved it would be Cashman. The guy the Jets were interested in this offseason was LAR's Kenny Young, but it looks like he's locked up a starting role on their defense. Still, this is a position where surprising players get cut, and if an injury occurs or someone they didn't expect becomes available, I think the Jets would pounce. 

Tight End: possibly 1 new addition- 3-to-4 on active roster 

The Jets may have some flexibility here, as Trevon Wesco serves as both a FB and a TE. Ryan Griffin appears to be hurt, so I think the Jets will take advantage and put him on temporary IR. Kroft, Herndon, and Wesco would be the 3 that make it with Daniel Brown being the odd-man out, but it's possible that they carry 4 and add someone off waivers/via trade, or they carry 3 and cut/trade Herndon (disappointing fall from grace). Kenny Yeboah hasn't shown enough to warrant a roster spot, but could be added to the Practice Squad. There are a few teams who will be forced into making some surprising cuts at TE so I wouldn't rule anything out here. 

Quarterbacks: possibly 1 new addition- 2 on the active roster 

The backup QBs have come on of late, so there's certainly a possibly that one of James Morgan or Mike White enter the season as the backup as the Jets try to stash the other on the practice squad. Maybe they add a veteran, but they haven't shown any indications that it's a priority for them. 

Special Teams: possibly 2 new additions- 3 on the active roster 

Thomas Hennessy is safe. I think Braden Mann is likely safe. Matt Ammendola is the front-runner right now, but he's not stopping the Jets from adding a proven kicker if one comes available. 

 

Positions the Jets are unlikely to outsource  

Defensive Backs: projecting no new additions- 10-to-11 on active roster

It sounds like the Jets are going to roll with their young corners. Forget the fans, it takes some balls to throw a bunch of young guys into the fire because you do risk them losing confidence, but in some respects it will allow the Jets a clear evaluation which guys will rise to the top of the depth chart now and in the future. Bless Austin, Bryce Hall, and Javelin Guidry are likely to enter the season as starters, but a lot of rookies have impressed too: Michael Carter II (5th), Jason Pinnock (5th), Brandin Echols (6th), Isaiah Dunn (UDFA) all have made a case to land roster spots, and ST/DB Justin Hardee is virtually guaranteed one. Elijah Campbell and Lamar Jackson are both guys that they'll likely try to stash on the practice squad, but still, carrying 8 corners is not traditional. In response, my guess is they'll only carry 3 safeties to start the season - Maye, Joyner, and Neasman - while stashing Ashtyn Davis on PUP/IR; Michael Carter II can play safety in a pinch and they can always bring up someone from the practice squad to fill in if need be,  

Defensive line: projecting no new additions- 8-to-9 on active roster

This is where they're going to have the hardest time. Of the 14 that are currently active, 6 are locked into roster spots: Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, Folorunso Fatukasi, John Franklin-Myers, Carl Lawson, and Bryce Huff. That leaves coach's favorite Ronald Blair, Nathan Shepherd (who has had an impressive camp), rookie 6th round pick Jonathan Marshall, last year's 3rd round pick Jabari Zuniga, impressive UDFAs Michael Dwumfour and Hamilcar Rashed Jr., and a few back-of-the-roster veterans to compete for 2 spots. Not to mention, Vinny Curry will likely have a spot when he returns (projected week 2) and a decision will have to be made on Kyle Phillips too. I'm guessing they'll try to stash a few of these guys on IR or the practice squad, but one thing I'm confident in is that they will not be adding anyone via cuts. If Zuniga is healthy, he may be the odd man out. 

Offensive line: projecting no new additions- 8-to-9 on active roster 

Jets have pretty solid depth and will be forced into making some difficult decisions. It looks like it'll be LT Becton, LG Vera-Tucker, C McGovern, RG Van Roten, RT Moses, T Fant, T/G McDermott, G/C Feeney, and they'll stash Cameron Clark, Parker Ferguson, and Teton Saltes on PUP/IR. 

Wide Receiver: projecting no new additions- 6-to-7 on active roster

Like CB and DL, the Jets are going to have trouble slimming this position down. Corey Davis, Jamison Crowder, Keelan Cole, Elijah Moore, and Denzel Mims (yes- despite his camp status) are virtual locks. Berrios has been impressive and the coaching staff has a very high opinion of him. Vyncint Smith, Jeff Smith, and Lawrence Cager have had strong camps. Not sure how this position will round out, but highly doubt they'll be adding someone to the group. 

Running Backs: projecting no new additions- 4 on active roster 

Michael Carter and Ty Johnson are pretty much locks. Tevin Coleman and La'Mical Perine have clearly separated themselves from the rest. If one gets hurt it'll be the next man up, and my guess is they'll try to stash Austin Walter/Josh Adams on the practice squad. 

 

Good write up. Some very tough calls on DL, I think they keep 9.

What about Hoge? He was pretty dominant against the 3rd/4th guys of the Giants. Think he gets some time against higher end players? I am sure he is good for Zach too.

Of all the groups I think that we will make acquisitions at TE, our group is really bad.

WR group is interesting. You could make an argument that our 6th and 7th guys are better than our #2 guys last year considering Mims was a rookie. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...