Jump to content

VERY Early Observations of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Small sample size, but...  From the first preseason game highlights:  Wilson appears to be the best passer.  Footwork, timing, accuracy and ultra fast delivery time all show up for Wilson.  Lawrence h

There were only a few things I was looking for with Zach in preseason Game 1.... 1.  Did he look calm, comfortable, confident and in control vs NFL competition?  Yes, he did. 2.  Did he exec

Yes.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Small sample size, but...  From the first preseason game highlights:  Wilson appears to be the best passer.  Footwork, timing, accuracy and ultra fast delivery time all show up for Wilson.  Lawrence had an NFL throw or two, but his moves and throwing motion appear to comparatively slower to Wilson’s.  Fields obviously exciting with what he can do with his feet, but several of his passes were not timed or placed very well.  Lance can throw big to open pass catchers, but also looks to be lacking with accuracy and timing.  Indeed, VERY early to tell much, but from one single preseason game, I’d take Wilson without hesitation. 

Too little to make any conclusions on. I will say that Fields still looked to me like he was processing everything so slow...he still might be successful in a Newton/Jackson sort of way, but he was not really impressive. Lawrence seemed to just be running his college offense hard to make any conclusions. But no question Zach is just fast in all ways.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

With the caveat that it's still super early and more reps are needed to draw more accurate conclusions...

- Justin Fields looked good. It's still baffling to me that he was the 4th quarterback selected after some of the success he had in college against some quality opponents. His physical talent is obvious, and the pro game did not look too big for him.

- Trey Lance looked raw but displayed on two different throws the talent and playmaking ability that made Shanahan sell the farm to move up for him.

- Trevor Lawrence had a ho-hum day, but he had a really pretty 3rd-and-long conversion to Marvin Jones that showed his arm talent and accuracy. 

- Zach Wilson looked good. Calm and poised and in command. The script didn't call for him to do much. I'd like to see some more "tough" throws attempted, but I understand why the Jets called the game they did offensively. His best throw of the game was that well-timed out route to Corey Davis.

- Sam Ehlinger and Jacob Eason both looked pretty good for the Colts. I wonder if one of them will get the nod and play well and end up Wally Pipp-ing Carson Wentz.

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Too little to make any conclusions on. I will say that Fields still looked to me like he was processing everything so slow...he still might be successful in a Newton/Jackson sort of way, but he was not really impressive. Lawrence seemed to just be running his college offense hard to make any conclusions. But no question Zach is just fast in all ways.

That was my take-away too. Some of their debut games reminded me of their respective pro days. Zach just gets the ball out quickly. Fields' can throw the ball from A to B but it's like slow-mo in comparison to Wilson. Lance can make you go 'wow' but miss the simple stuff. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Small sample size, but...  From the first preseason game highlights:  Wilson appears to be the best passer.  Footwork, timing, accuracy and ultra fast delivery time all show up for Wilson.  Lawrence had an NFL throw or two, but his moves and throwing motion appear to comparatively slower to Wilson’s.  Fields obviously exciting with what he can do with his feet, but several of his passes were not timed or placed very well.  Lance can throw big to open pass catchers, but also looks to be lacking with accuracy and timing.  Indeed, VERY early to tell much, but from one single preseason game, I’d take Wilson without hesitation. 

Steven A. was on first take today saying the same thing. Said he was highly impressed with his arm and he just looked like a real nfl quarterback. He’s the only person I’ve seen give love to Wilson… it’s otherwise been all Fields and Lance d riding.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:



- Sam Ehlinger and Jacob Eason both looked pretty good for the Colts. I wonder if one of them will get the nod and play well and end up Wally Pipp-ing Carson Wentz.

 

Now maybe the Colts really expect Wentz back game 1 or 2 but still interesting that the Colts have no interest in getting Rivers back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

That was my take-away too. Some of their debut games reminded me of their respective pro days. Zach just gets the ball out quickly. Fields' can throw the ball from A to B but it's like slow-mo in comparison to Wilson. Lance can make you go 'wow' but miss the simple stuff. 

When I think of elite POCKET QBs, all of them really have lightning fast releases maybe except for Peyton- Rodgers, super fast Mahomes, super fast, Marino, super fast, etc...Zach has that...watch a video face on to Zach and it is amazing how fast and smooth his arm moves

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

- Sam Ehlinger and Jacob Eason both looked pretty good for the Colts. I wonder if one of them will get the nod and play well and end up Wally Pipp-ing Carson Wentz.

 

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Now maybe the Colts really expect Wentz back game 1 or 2 but still interesting that the Colts have no interest in getting Rivers back.

I think Eason made some really good throws tbh. I have high hopes for a Wentz bounce back year, but if he doesn’t start Week 1, I’ll be interested to see Eason thrown into the fire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They are hyping everyone but Zach Wilson hopefully he proves them all wrong. 

 

Who is "they"?

How long have you suffered from this persecution syndrome?

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice write up.

To me, they all looked similar to how they did in college. Zach is a really twitchy athlete both passing and with his legs.

I’m expecting a scenario where Zach is the highest graded QB by PFF, but Lawrence wins ROTY because he has the better traditional stats.

The Jags are going to throw a lot of bubble screens to Shenault and Etienne which will juice up his stats. On the flip side, we are clearly a run first team. Zach may not get the volume to be ROTY.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, flgreen said:

For what it's worth I saw a tweet from PFF, (might have been on JN) saying Fields ave time of release was 3.7 secs.  Wilson's was 2.4.  If true, that's HUGE

This is good and I never understood the Fields hype (plus the media ahem gaslighting him) But Wilson didnt play much and most of his passes were safe outs. I hope he gets at least a half in on Saturday...put more on his plate.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’m expecting a scenario where Zach is the highest graded QB by PFF, but Lawrence wins ROTY because he has the better traditional stats.

Like TD's.  Passing Yards.  And Wins.

:-k

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, flgreen said:

For what it's worth I saw a tweet from PFF, (might have been on JN) saying Fields ave time of release was 3.7 secs.  Wilson's was 2.4.  If true, that's HUGE

 IN NO WAY do I want to over-hype Wilson.   A fast release alone does not translate into a professional career for a qb.  However, Wilson's release is by far the fastest of all the top QB's selected in the past draft.  The fastest by far. The last QB I recall with such a quick delivery was Marino.  Also not being spoken about... Wilson can gobble up yardage with his feet as well.  Some of his college games saw him running for a pile of yardage.   SUPER glad he seems to be pass first qb by instinct, but he'll have a few surprises for a defense that offers up a safe running lane.  

Not sure if it is a worry or not, but he has a low release point.  After defense look at tape, they may take advantage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like TD's.  Passing Yards.  And Wins.

:-k

Not wins. The jags don’t look like a good team. But I see him having more yards do to volume despite Zach being the more efficient passer. Make sense?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Not wins. The jags don’t look like a good team. But I see him having more yards do to volume despite Zach being the more efficient passer. Make sense?

To some degree. 

If Wilson is protected by a run-first, run-often offense, and simply has a higher completion % say, but Lawrence is throwing more passes, for more yards, and for more TD's, I don't see that as Wilson being better myself.

Not to say I think that will happen per se, just not hopping on the "Wilson was better despite lesser "traditional" numbers all round" bandwagon just the yet.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i saw a tweet today that Justin Fields held the ball an average of 3.8 seconds and took no sacks. that sh*t will not fly in the big boy games.

That was the main detractor when I watched him. 

Preseason doesn't give the full picture on how a guy will do, but you can learn a little bit about a guys game speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Who is "they"?

How long have you suffered from this persecution syndrome?

Read the sports pages. 

Then report back. 

I suffer from nothing how about you. 

You might be suffering from PTJS.......Post Traumatic Jets Syndrome. 

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's never too soon to make  definitive statement with comparative analysis and based on these QB's preseason debut, Zach Wilson will be the best and I'm not sure what that means but it could be be anywhere from greatest Jet of all time to greatest QB of all time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i saw a tweet today that Justin Fields held the ball an average of 3.8 seconds and took no sacks. that sh*t will not fly in the big boy games.

That's a very suspect statistic.  Watching his snaps, he rolls out a lot, which is naturally going to add time to how long he holds the ball.

There was a lot to not like in the early part of the video, but as it went on, he settled down and extended a number of plays with his feet.  It would not surprise me if he had a good season, as long as CHI can give him time to find his receivers.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...