Initial thoughts on Saleh?

JohnnyLV

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I know we are all in the honeymoon phase with Saleh, but I have to say that he is quite different than I imagined.

To be honest I sort of expected a mini-Rex sort of coach, all energy and bluster and aggressiveness, but instead he seems super calm, introspective, very organized and detailed and quite focused on teaching and development.

His stance on rookies and the QB situation to me are a breath of fresh air and something I support 100%. I love that he is completely all in on Zach and Zach gets all the #1 reps and some additional as opposed to say Darnold who split reps and then for much of camp only played with the 3s.

I also love what he is doing at CB. It takes giant guts to basically do so young at QB and CB and just trust in your ability to teach.

From just the super small sample size of the first preseason game, our entire team seemed more organized and disciplined and cohesive than I can remember in quite a while. Hopefully that remains true.

We know the fire is there, but I was not expecting such an intelligent, thoughtful and organized coach as he seems to be. He seems like a coach that becomes a "players" coach by his obvious commitment and respect of his team, not from the short termed rah rah motivation we see in a lot of head coaches.

I am very impressed, and he could fall flat on his face when we fall on adversity but I will say that after the experiences of Bowles and Gase I wanted to be in a complete wait and see mode with Saleh but he is really winning me over and making me excited that he is driving the future of this team,

My favorite quote and echoes completely my thoughts on the rookies vs. veteran thing (Gase and Bowles favored "veterans" to an absurd and perverse level.

“I’ve said it before, I think, the difference between player A and player Z in the entire league, I’m not talking about superstars, I’m not talking about the Aaron Donald’s of the world, they’re unique,” Saleh said. “But the difference between player A and player Z is minimal and the only thing that keeps player Z from becoming player A is an opportunity and reps. Let’s see what happens. Does it always happen? It doesn’t, but unless you’re willing to be bold enough to coach your tail off and to invest as much as you can into these young men and give them the opportunity to be seen, give them the opportunity to get reps, and give them the opportunity to get better, you’ll never know what you might find. So, that’s just the belief and the philosophy of not only our coaching staff but the entire organization and that’s something we’re committed to.”

Nice post and I agree.  At first, when I heard that he had "EXTREME VIOLENCE" listed here or there, I was concerned that he might be a total cement head.  I was 180 degrees out on that one.  I'd go so far as to call him somewhat of a gentleman.   The more I see and hear of him and from him, the more I like him.  He appears to have all the qualities of a top level administrator and the football chops to go along with it.  

• Sympathy 1

We look like a well run team and looked organized against the Giants. We haven’t seen that in a while. PFF guys even said they think we have the second best situation for these rookie QBs and the gap may not be large between us and SF. I was surprised they said that but....

Everyone loves the head coach initially. Gase being the only exception because he’s the worst in league history.

If you go back to Mangini, Rex, Bowles they were all loved initially, especially because they were nothing like the previous coach. Saleh has an even bigger advantage in that respect because he literally can’t be worse.

Has been extremely impressive to this point, says all the right things and seems to have everything under control. All this can change when the games start though. We know nothing yet.

Haven't seen remotely enough to form a legitimate opinion based on facts.  One preseason game doesn't cut it.

Ask again in Week 8.

I swear, I think some of you literally are racing each other to be the first to say how much they love this new guy or that guy, so you can say later "I LOVED HIM FIRST!!!!"

Chill out.  Not a one of you has enough info yet to form any kind of cogent opinion that could be supported by facts.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

Some things that are noticeable: 

1) He’s brought an identity to the team. They never had this with Gase and didn’t have the personnel to do it the way he wanted with Bowles. 

2) He’s a servant leader, which has been shown to be an effective leadership style at getting buy-in. 

3) so far, players have to earn playing time, which hasn’t happened team-wide in like forever as our last few coaches played favorites. 

4) Both of our systems play up to what works in the modern NFL. I can’t remember the last time this team ran one like this on offense especially. 

• Upvote 2

Obviously too early to tell but I have to say I’ve been very impressed by his calm, detail-oriented, and introspective mentality — couple with what we know is an aggressive, excited, alpha enthusiasm.

• The rah-rah stuff will only take you so far if you’re not a good teacher (Rex).

• The detail-oriented mindset will only take you so far if you can’t motivate or relate to players or they can’t respect you (Mangini).

• The players may respect you but you’re weak and stupid that will only take you so far (Bowles).

• If you’re a psychotic, backstabbing, introvert who can’t relate to people on any basic emotional level, while lacking every vital leadership characteristic, you will only go so far (Gase).

Hopefully Coach Saleh has that perfect combination that the great ones do. He definitely has the mindset and personality for that.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 4
  • Haha 1

I will start by saying I’m nowhere near the optimist you are when it comes to all things Jets, so I was hesitant to open this thread.

I’m glad I did however. As I read your OP, I found myself nodding in agreement with everything you said about Saleh, both the pre conceived idea, and what we’re actually seeing right now as far as his personality.

How that will translate into wins and losses, I have no idea however.

Still, this was a good job by you, and the quote you included was great. I’ve never seen it before.

Well done, @johnnysd

Now let’s hope he can get some wins on the board, then I’ll be excited also!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Some things that are noticeable: 

1) He’s brought an identity to the team. They never had this with Gase and didn’t have the personnel to do it the way he wanted with Bowles. 

2) He’s a servant leader, which has been shown to be an effective leadership style at getting buy-in. 

3) so far, players have to earn playing time, which hasn’t happened team-wide in like forever as our last few coaches played favorites. 

4) Both of our systems play up to what works in the modern NFL. I can’t remember the last time this team ran one like this on offense especially. 

2. Servant leader — I believe is most effective style in any organization for today’s society/younger generation.

• Upvote 2

Adam Gase's 2-14 stink left the building and our locker room the very moment and immediately after coach Robert Saleh replaced him.

There is nothing worse than fans trying to correct us for predicting 2021 playoffs as if "Adam Gase" is still Jets head coach (and play caller).

Coach Robert Saleh has already changed the culture of our Football program and preseason week 1 goes to show for it too because our D-Line was without QW and the Giants had their entire starting O-Line playing and coach Saleh's D-Line absolutely destroyed NYGs O-Line.

Sleep on coach Saleh and these Jets if you want to because you're mistaken if you feel and believe they'll play like Adam Gase's 2-14 2020 team did. 

image.png.d812fce86072bfa77f1cbb96f68db06d.png

C.J. Mosley lost his love for football due to Adam Gase and he sat out all of 2020 because of it; and Robert Saleh is the man who's now got C.J. Mosley more FIRED UP than ever!

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Everyone loves the head coach initially. Gase being the only exception because he’s the worst in league history.

If you go back to Mangini, Rex, Bowles they were all loved initially, especially because they were nothing like the previous coach. Saleh has an even bigger advantage in that respect because he literally can’t be worse.

Has been extremely impressive to this point, says all the right things and seems to have everything under control. All this can change when the games start though. We know nothing yet.

This.

If anyone uses the search function on this forum and goes back to the years that all the other coaches were hired, they’d find that fans were just as excited about them as they are about Saleh.

It’s like a darn merry-go-round.

We just keep going in circles, ending up in the same spot after a little while.

Only difference is which horse we choose to ride on (I actually prefer the bench seats on merry-go-rounds).

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I love him, I love them all….but if we start the season 2-7 then it’s all for sh!t…..let’s see how they play 

I just don't think this is true.  Not at all actually.

We are the youngest team in the league, starting rookie QB and a new offense and defense.  Starting 2-7 is the likely outcome and what we should be expecting.

But if the team and ZW is showing growth, playing smart and flashing that potential than 2-7 is totally fine.

I love this team and think it's the most talent/potential this we may have ever had - but I also think it's a 4 to 5 win team.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Gase I did not love. 
Mangini I was meh on. But was positive about it. 
Rex I was running through walls for the first day. 
Bowles was boring. But was supposed to be a good hire so I went with it. 

My Saleh excitement is slightly below Rex but above the rest. 

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I know we are all in the honeymoon phase with Saleh, but I have to say that he is quite different than I imagined.

To be honest I sort of expected a mini-Rex sort of coach, all energy and bluster and aggressiveness, but instead he seems super calm, introspective, very organized and detailed and quite focused on teaching and development.

His stance on rookies and the QB situation to me are a breath of fresh air and something I support 100%. I love that he is completely all in on Zach and Zach gets all the #1 reps and some additional as opposed to say Darnold who split reps and then for much of camp only played with the 3s.

I also love what he is doing at CB. It takes giant guts to basically do so young at QB and CB and just trust in your ability to teach.

From just the super small sample size of the first preseason game, our entire team seemed more organized and disciplined and cohesive than I can remember in quite a while. Hopefully that remains true.

We know the fire is there, but I was not expecting such an intelligent, thoughtful and organized coach as he seems to be. He seems like a coach that becomes a "players" coach by his obvious commitment and respect of his team, not from the short termed rah rah motivation we see in a lot of head coaches.

I am very impressed, and he could fall flat on his face when we fall on adversity but I will say that after the experiences of Bowles and Gase I wanted to be in a complete wait and see mode with Saleh but he is really winning me over and making me excited that he is driving the future of this team,

My favorite quote and echoes completely my thoughts on the rookies vs. veteran thing (Gase and Bowles favored "veterans" to an absurd and perverse level.

“I’ve said it before, I think, the difference between player A and player Z in the entire league, I’m not talking about superstars, I’m not talking about the Aaron Donald’s of the world, they’re unique,” Saleh said. “But the difference between player A and player Z is minimal and the only thing that keeps player Z from becoming player A is an opportunity and reps. Let’s see what happens. Does it always happen? It doesn’t, but unless you’re willing to be bold enough to coach your tail off and to invest as much as you can into these young men and give them the opportunity to be seen, give them the opportunity to get reps, and give them the opportunity to get better, you’ll never know what you might find. So, that’s just the belief and the philosophy of not only our coaching staff but the entire organization and that’s something we’re committed to.”

Saleh is cerebral, great at connecting with the players, and he is passionate.  

What will be interesting to me is when the Jets lose games, and how when he is up at the podium speaking, "Will he call out individual players, or will he speak in generalizations?"

Will he hold players accountable, or will he not?  

We will learn much more about Robert Saleh when adversity comes.  Right now, I like what I see, and this is exactly what I expected.

• Upvote 2

I will.be dead honest..

I thought we were getting Pete Carroll part 2.

Now that I have watched this guy .. I am blown away .. I absolutely love the professionalism this guy exudes.

Once the live bullets start flying and the mistakes mean something ... things may change.

But as of right now ... I have no words for how impressive this guy has been.

Keep it rolling .. all gas ... **** the brake.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I like how Saleh and JD are taking a strategy that could develop a championship team. Zach has the tools around him so he has the opportunity to develop while not overspending on older players such as Bell and Gore who would need to be replaced in a year or two  

Also, they are setting us up for the draft next year if a couple of these young guys develop such as Nasirildeen and Hall and organically fill some holes in they roster. Then, they can target the remaining holes that aren’t filled (such as TE) through the draft and FA.

It may cost us a couple wins this year because not everyone is going to develop and people will explode on JetNation, but it sets us up for a better year next year.

We won’t know how good of a coach he is until the season is played but so far so good.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I will start by saying I’m nowhere near the optimist you are when it comes to all things Jets, so I was hesitant to open this thread.

I’m glad I did however. As I read your OP, I found myself nodding in agreement with everything you said about Saleh, both the pre conceived idea, and what we’re actually seeing right now as far as his personality.

How that will translate into wins and losses, I have no idea however.

Still, this was a good job by you, and the quote you included was great. I’ve never seen it before.

Well done, @johnnysd

Now let’s hope he can get some wins on the board, then I’ll be excited also!

Im trying  @Green Ghost not to bleed too much Green and be more objective. It just struck me how different he is to what I expected

• Upvote 1

This team is still a work in progress but there is definitely a long term plan in place. Saleh has impressed and I'm really excited about this GM/coach tandem. They seem to be a very confident and competent duo. I'm looking forward to this year and I think we will see some major improvements from the clown shows of the past but there will be some speed bumps along the way. It won't be until next year when we start to see things really come together. 

• Upvote 1