49ers waive Rosen

38 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Many of us didn't want Allen because his scouting report resembled Hackenburg in that he was a big strong kid, who looked like an elite QB talent and we were all asked to ignore his crappy college stats/ bad comp pct. and just trust the scouts who say he will figure it out in the NFL. 

I was massively intrigued by Josh Allen, who I thought had Elway levels of natural talent.

I was also scared to death of him as a potential Jets pick. You just knew that, had we picked him, he would turn out more Heath Shuler than John Elway.

• Upvote 2

On 8/18/2021 at 6:29 AM, Jet Nut said:

Not many do.  And thats the point when you were a big time prospect drafted first!

Ever read up on him? Pretty interesting. Also I'm not sure how much Rosen is into playing football, similar to Daigle and hockey. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Ever read up on him? Pretty interesting. Also I'm not sure how much Rosen is into playing football, similar to Daigle and hockey. 

Yeah, I remember him being this hot prospect that was hyped for the year before his draft class.  He never played well with the Senators and then retired after only a few years.  After a couple of seasons off he tried to come back and bounced around.  I remember the Rangers buying the rights to him but he couldn't even get 10 goals and they dumped him

On 8/18/2021 at 10:05 AM, kdels62 said:

The Rosen narrative about personality is overblown. The Rosen issue is more about evaluator error.

I really liked Rosen but even then I felt like I was just making up facts to reach a conclusion. The guy wasn’t especially accurate. He also had a mediocre arm. He also was bad under pressure. All of this was ignored because he was big time recruit with a good freshman year under his belt. 

So yes there’s something to personality but the primary differences  between him (who I liked) and Josh Allen (who I hated) is that Josh Allen is immune to pressure on top of being bigger, faster, stronger and having an elite level nfl arm. 

And dumber. Its easier to teach a hillbilly dufus like Allen than a spoiled wanna be know it all like Rosen. 

4 hours ago, roscoeword said:

his lack of mobility doomed him. These days, a qb has to be able to make yardage with his feet.

Assuming you can’t make up for it with the smarts and quick throws like a Brady, Brees, Peyton, Stafford, Ryan, Big Ben, Rivers, etc have the last several years, yeah, it’s certainly the direction the NFL is headed.  

When QBs are young, mobility/athleticism certainly can make up for the deficiencies that get cleaned up later.  

• Upvote 3

On 8/20/2021 at 5:18 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Assuming you can’t make up for it with the smarts and quick throws like a Brady, Brees, Peyton, Stafford, Ryan, Big Ben, Rivers, etc have the last several years, yeah, it’s certainly the direction the NFL is headed.  

When QBs are young, mobility/athleticism certainly can make up for the deficiencies that get cleaned up later.  

This is a false narrative that Brady lacks mobility.  Yes, Tom Brady cant run around, is slow etc.  But Brady is great at moving within the pocket and avoiding pressure, finding passing lanes.  

• Upvote 2

You'd think that Rosen has little chance to get a starting NFL job right now at best he is a contender for a backup slot. His best chance is to get on a roster and backslide into playing time and playing well after injuries. Ryan Fitzpatrick built a career on that.  Or he could next season sign with a CFL team, win a starting job, play well and come back to the NFL. The bottom line no matter what he does is: play well. The thing is can he?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You'd think that Rosen has little chance to get a starting NFL job right now at best he is a contender for a backup slot. His best chance is to get on a roster and backslide into playing time and playing well after injuries. Ryan Fitzpatrick built a career on that.  Or he could next season sign with a CFL team, win a starting job, play well and come back to the NFL. The bottom line no matter what he does is: play well. The thing is can he?

I think he would be really good in the CFL.

I also think he would never come up here to play.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think he would be really good in the CFL.

I also think he would never come up here to play.

I think you're right. I just don't see him getting a chance to be a starter in the NFL at this time. He has to prove himself again after striking out with 4 teams in just a few years. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:06 AM, roscoeword said:

his lack of mobility doomed him. These days, a qb has to be able to make yardage with his feet.

He couldnt sense the pass rush. Brady has no mobility either. It's all about sensing the pass rush and knowing when to step up, slide or backpedal. 

• Upvote 1