Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

Just now, genot said:

It's not just a weight issue. He's so naturally huge, it might take him a millisecond longer to move laterally than others with a more lean frame. A millisecond is all it takes to get beat bu a speed rusher. Inside or outside 

Yeah, that too.  Being almost 400 pounds doesn’t help though.

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Jets passed 37 times against the Giants and gave up 1 sack. 

Sacks in these scrimmages are meaningless. Some guys are trying to win jobs and trying to harder to impress than others that are working more on scheme etc..

I will venture the Jets don't give up 7 sacks against Wilson on Saturday. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jets passed 37 times against the Giants and gave up 1 sack. 

Sacks in these scrimmages are meaningless. Some guys are trying to win jobs and trying to harder to impress than others that are working more on scheme etc..

I will venture the Jets don't give up 7 sacks against Wilson on Saturday. 

Azeez Ojulari is not Preston Smith or Carl Lawson.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah, that too.  Being almost 400 pounds doesn’t help though.

Just walking around with his weight and frame must put a massive strain on his joints.  If not already present, all that man meat (kids, don't Google this) will destroy his ankles making Becton even slower off the line.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I absolutely hated him as a prospect, happily ate crow last year, and now am terrified my initial feelings were correct.

Did Joe D make major changes to the scouting department in 2021?  I am curious man, because honestly 2020 draftees ain't too hot (this actually my first time that I express concerns about the 2020 draft class). 

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

No evidence there at all about him being overweight  this camp.  There is some good stuff about last season. Thanks for that.

So I will continue to wait 

Lmfao.  Did you miss the part where Saleh discussed getting his weight right or is your head so deep down in the sand that you can see the earth’s core?

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Becton gave up 4 sacks last year in 14 games playing in a worse offense. I rather he give up a fake sack in a scrimmage than get hurt. 

You guys need to relax. 

Sheldon Richardson once almost had double digit sacks.

Then what?

First test for Saleh. 

they are clearly making mims “earn it”

if Becton is injured, shut him down 

if he just isn’t playing well, bench him

He seemed to give up a lot more pressure than Lawson generated so I think that idea is dead 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just walking around with his weight and frame must put a massive strain on his joints.  If not already present, all that man meat (kids, don't Google this) will destroy his ankles making Becton even slower off the line.

And you have zero reason to believe that the strain will impact him this year, next year, in 5 years or in 10 years. What you do have are the stats from last year where he gave up 4 sacks in 14 games. But why look at stats when you can just make crap up based off a few scrimmages that mean nothing? 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And you have zero reason to believe that the strain will impact him this year, next year, in 5 years or in 10 years. What you do have are the stats from last year where he gave up 4 sacks in 14 games. But why look at stats when you can just make crap up based off a few scrimmages that mean nothing? 

Did these scrimmages mean nothing last year when Becton dominated camp, or are we choosing a different narrative today?

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Lmfao.  Did you miss the part where Saleh discussed getting his weight right or is your head so deep down in the sand that you can see the earth’s core?

Saleh discussed his weight.  Very good.  I agree. 

so I will continue to wait for evidence of him currently being overweight.   

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Based on that statement you could argue that any player will suck after 1 good year. At this point you are making crap up after meaningless practices. 

Yeah.  That is kind of the point.  You don’t crown anyone or dump anyone over one year. Becton isn’t a franchise LT yet because he had one good year.

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

Saleh discussed his weight.  Very good.  I agree. 

so I will continue to wait for evidence of him currently being overweight.   

Might want to get your eyes checked then, since weighing 380 lbs to open mini camp is, in fact, being overweight.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

A1AB1D9A-70EE-415D-9BD7-C826E716FF4D.thumb.png.57dfb931c4091f9f89c4591992831bbe.pngB7543D99-6489-4CBE-A23A-15448A03702C.thumb.jpeg.aaf638b8785222624d6dae2a95fa577d.jpegD0FF95C9-8946-4B65-986B-3892364885D2.thumb.jpeg.5610315c0b1905b782a48da7911d79a9.jpeg

Not that I'm not concerned about Becton's play, but do you have anymore recent info about what his current weight is?

A Google search found this as the latest story to list him at a weight other than what the team "officially" lists him at:

July 4th (lists him as 365):

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/slimmed-down-mekhi-becton-casts-weight-concerns-aside-in-viral-video-watch/

2 later stories list him as "360 pound plus", and at his "official" 363, respectively:

July 20th:

https://nypost.com/2021/07/20/health-weight-are-keys-to-mekhi-becton-unlocking-superstar-potential/

July 27th:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/27/new-york-jets-training-camp-robert-saleh-mekhi-becton-weight/

If these stories are believed to be the latest, and most accurate account, then it appears like he has his weight currently under control. Hell, the first link shows that he looks visibly thinner.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

You probably wanted to cut Zack after the green and white practice. It’s only practice. This is how you learn. The reactions are ridiculous.

No.  I loved Zach as a prospect.  Wrote a nice little article about it too.  Maybe, just maybe, Becton is the same guy he was at Louisville.  Physically dominant, technically sh*t, and better suited as a RT.

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Not that I'm not concerned about Becton's play, but do you have anymore recent info about what his current weight is?

A Google search found this as the latest story to list him at a weight other than what the team "officially" lists him at:

July 4th (lists him as 365):

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/slimmed-down-mekhi-becton-casts-weight-concerns-aside-in-viral-video-watch/

2 later stories list him as "360 pound plus", and at his "official" 363, respectively:

July 20th:

https://nypost.com/2021/07/20/health-weight-are-keys-to-mekhi-becton-unlocking-superstar-potential/

July 27th:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/27/new-york-jets-training-camp-robert-saleh-mekhi-becton-weight/

If these stories are believed to be the latest, and most accurate account, then it appears like he has his weight currently under control. Hell, the first link shows that he looks visibly thinner.

He won’t tell anyone what the actual weight is so, unfortunately, I don’t.  Becton slimmed down for the combine last year, and immediately ballooned back up over the course of the year.  He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt from me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Defense Wins Championships said:

Bad practice all around today.

but it's going to become EPIC when we dominate GB from start to finish in a PRESEASON GAME (Saturday).

Instead of "PRACTICE". 

And I'll bump up these Mekhi Becton posts after he dominates GB on Saturday too ?

Dominating the Packers back-ups won’t be impressive homie.

• Upvote 2