Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

8 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

If you have hard evidence Becton is overweight, then you should provide it.  Otherwise, you are making shale up

When they executed the search warrant he was suspiciously flushing something down the toilet.  One of the cops on the scene said it looked like a 150 pounds of jello.  

It's all circumstantial but based on a preponderance of the evidence any jury in the USA would find him guilty of mobid obesity.  

In all honestly, a good thrashing like this to humble the younglings is probably the best thing for this team. Don't want to think you're better than you are when you haven't been there before. Gotta work cause all the teams are working.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah.  That is kind of the point.  You don’t crown anyone or dump anyone over one year. Becton isn’t a franchise LT yet because he had one good year.

And he’s not dogsh*t because he’s had a month of subpar practices.

People overreact on both ends of the spectrum.  The default however is that the negative reactions are based more in “reality” then the positive overreactions.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Maybe Ramsey came into camp as 380 also.  Will Ramsey ever recover from a poor scrimmage????

Ramsey is one of the best players in the league and he’s done it over the course of many years.  Nice what-about-ism though.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Dominating the Packers back-ups won’t be impressive homie.

And having a bad practice on the road isn't unimpressive. It's called practice, homie. 

PS: Becton was without his starting LG to help him and no Elijah Moore and you want to talk about "backups"?

And was Quinnen Williams even practicing today or was GB going up against our backup DT?

• Upvote 1

If Becton doesn't work out...the 2020 draft is basically a blunder...

Hall is the only one who looks legitimate to date. Mimms is on bubble. Ashton Davis busted/cant stay healthy, Zuniga be cut soon. Captain Morgan is going to lose backup to Mike White. 

Perrine did nothing last year but is showing up this preseason so jury still out on him.

Becton needs to work out or 2020 is a bad draft class. Sorry, but true. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

And he’s not dogsh*t because he’s had a month of subpar practices.

People overreact on both ends of the spectrum.  The default however is that the negative reactions are based more in “reality” then the positive overreactions.

That’s fair, but I’m not holding my breath that he’s going to have an awful summer and just flip a switch when the competition only gets better and game planning gets involved.  That’s just not realistic.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Bad practice all around today.

but it's going to become EPIC when we dominate GB from start to finish in a PRESEASON GAME (Saturday).

Instead of "PRACTICE". 

And I'll bump up these Mekhi Becton posts after he dominates GB on Saturday too ?

499706956_giphy(58).gif.4ec5020351cdb102370af9af2de54138.gif773046482_giphy(62).gif.8d86d850fe93abae64d32e09cc68caed.gif

• Upvote 1

Becton is an issue.  But we don't have unlimited resources.  He needs to learn on the job and we need to accept the risks (at this point of the pre-season) that come with a young player not playing well.

As a team we are not in the Pack's class.  We are young, unproven talent-wise and in a huge learning curve.  But these experiences are great.

My expectations are in check.  We are a young team, with improved talent, that seems to have a great mentality for the journey they are on - not complacent, hungry, coachable, together...and improving.  Slowly, but improving.  Run game looks good.  Defensive front looks good.  CB seems to be playing itself out.  RB/WR improved.  QB soaking in all the knowledge he can...but has tools.  Coaching staff that is putting the team in all the right situations to get better.  Good game plans run efficiently.  Love the joint practices against a great NFC team.  A GM that gets it.  

We're good.  It's not going to be a straight line...but I believe we're really on the right path.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He won’t tell anyone what the actual weight is so, unfortunately, I don’t.  Becton slimmed down for the combine last year, and immediately ballooned back up over the course of the year.  He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt from me.

So, just to be clear, the narrative that his problems are weight related are -- while not unwarranted -- pure speculation at this point.

Not that the idea of him currently in shape and struggling is much better than him struggling because he's out of shape.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He has had a bad spring and, now, summer.  Not a single bad practice.

He destroyed the Giants. 

And he had an absolutely DOMINANT Rookie season where Baldy raved about him every week and so did Jets fans. 

He also started 14 games and during the two games he missed + 2 games he left early he still played 70% of our Offensive snaps last year and was physically DOMINANT. 

• No Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

• No Elijah Moore. 

• No Quinnen Williams. 

Please stop acting as if GB beat our team at full health today. 

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

So, just to be clear, the narrative that his problems are weight related are -- while not unwarranted -- pure speculation at this point.

Not that the idea of him currently in shape and struggling is much better than him struggling because he's out of shape.

He may be in great shape.  He just might be a big lumbering fat guy who can't handle speed off the edge?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yes and no.  We know, by his own admission, that he ballooned up last year.  He actually said it before last season ended.  Then he proceeded to show up to OTAs and minicamp fat and out of shape.  So while, yes, his current situation is all speculation, it’s only because Becton will no longer divulge his current weight, leading us to speculate.  If that’s the case, history is the best way to to predict the future.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

but it's going to become EPIC when we dominate GB from start to finish in a PRESEASON GAME (Saturday).

Instead of "PRACTICE". 

And I'll bump up these Mekhi Becton posts after he dominates GB on Saturday too ?

They're not going to be playing the same players on Saturday that they are today.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And an absolutely DOMINANT Rookie season where Baldy raved about him every week and so did Jets fans. 

He also started 14 games and during the two games he missed + 2 games he left early he still played 70% of our Offensive snaps last year and was physically DOMINANT. 

• No Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

• No Elijah Moore. 

• No Quinnen Williams. 

Please stop acting as if GB beat our team at full health today. 

Last season was last season.  If he proves me wrong, great.  If I’m right, and the tape in this years camp doesn’t lie, Zach Wilson will be on IR by week 8.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I am starting to get concerned that this may be another "Jets ruin Darnold" situation for Zach.  I cannot even tell how Wilson did at practice today because of the O-line!  I was just watching a couple of earlier 2018 games for Darnold, and I was shocked - I mean he looked cool and confident.  I don't want to say cocky, but it was not the Sam I remember from last year running for his life, seeing ghosts, etc.  I think Wilson showed us in the game against the midgets whet he can do when he has time, but if he's getting 7 (SEVEN!) sacks a game, I'm afraid he will start seeing ghosts too.

If you take the position that Darnold was always going to be bad, for which there is plenty of evidence, then you don't need to worry about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

They're not going to be playing the same players on Saturday that they are today.

Well today we were without 3 key impactful players in Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG), Elijah Moore (WR) and Quinnen Williams (DT). 

And since we got our ass kicked so bad today can anyone tell me the final score on the scoreboard?

I'd like to know...

11 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Instead of "PRACTICE". 

Because..... Rodgers is not playing Saturday?

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Maybe Ramsey came into camp as 380 also.  Will Ramsey ever recover from a poor scrimmage????

It’s been consist every day. He’s getting destroyed by any starting rusher he faces. 

over and over day after day. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Did you not watch how dominant Mekhi Becton was throughout 12 games last year (14 starts) or better yet did you not watch our Giants preseason game or something? Because Mekhi Becton was Mt. Becton in pass protection and Highway 77 as a road grader in the run game he was our most dominant player. 

And you're crying about a practice? No. Not a game not a game but  PRACTICE?!?!?

Did you watch the Raider game last year?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  That is what I am hoping -- hopefully things will be better when AVT comes back, because what I am reading right now is concerning.  Not panicked yet, but certainly concerned.

The other thing is the team is switching to a zone blocking scheme , something the Packers should be familiar with Lafleur as their HC.  The PS is the time for new systems and schemes to gel. Lets not get crazy with projections based on preseason activity.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Last season was last season.  If he proves me wrong, great.  If I’m right, and the tape in this years camp doesn’t lie, Zach Wilson will be on IR by week 8.

Last year night not matter to you but it matters to me. 

When Becton was healthy (70% of the season) he was the most dominant Jet I've enjoyed since #24. 

It matters to me. 

You're already wrong dude and he'll prove you wrong again this year too. 

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yes and no.  We know, by his own admission, that he ballooned up last year.  He actually said it before last season ended.  Then he proceeded to show up to OTAs and minicamp fat and out of shape.  So while, yes, his current situation is all speculation, it’s only because Becton will no longer divulge his current weight, leading us to speculate.  If that’s the case, history is the best way to to predict the future.

Do you have any insight into this? From the recent pictures i've seen, he looks in better shape than last year. Fat and out of shape, really?

3 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Do you have any insight into this? From the recent pictures i've seen, he looks in better shape than last year. Fat and out of shape, really?

I don’t have any insight as to what his current weight is.  I do know the team is concerned about whether or not the weight thing is going to be an every year type of situation.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Larz said:

That’s what you picked out lol.  Any comment on the foot injury?  Possible shoulder injury could explain it. 

whats your theory?

My theory is to not speculate without actual footage and not to trust everything these hacks tweet about. They are clearly masters at manipulation and sensationalism. He looked good in his limited action vs NYG. Lets see how he does Saturday before we claim the sky is falling. 

• I don’t think there is any question that having Feeney play next to Becton drags his game down.   But he still needs to play better.
  • Rodgers was not recruited highly out of HS, and drafted lower than expected, somewhat because of his size.  He is not the prototypical big QB.  Wilson is at least as big.  
  • The 2020 draft class does not look good.  I think it is large part a reflection of the coaches input.  JD’s new system obviously needed some work too.   I love the 2021 class, and we did not think that way about the 2020 class last year at this time.  
  • If AVT comes back and can play, the OL and year will go much better.  If the OL suffers too many injuries, Wilson and the Jets are toast.  To build a foundation, Moses needs an extension and JD needs to find even more OL.  Can’t have enough.