Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I will say this about the pass protection concerns.  They are legitimate, but I don’t think it’s the 5 Alarm fire some do.

One thing I think is important to note, some will disagree, but the way these practices are setup and scripted, they don’t emulate a real game in the sense where the run game and it’s physicality can heavily slow down pass rush.  

Becton is getting beaten like a drum.  No denying that.  But one thing that will absolutely help him and the offense in the regular season is how much he and the run game can wear people down.  Preston Smith whooped him today.  Preston Smith also didn’t have Becton leaning on him for multiple quarters in the run game.  

These practices are great and a great barometer for things to work on, but they don’t simulate every aspect of real games, and the main part that isn’t simulated is physicality.

Who knew our LT is apparently the only player in history that uses Practice reps to suck more instead of learn according to some here.

• Upvote 1

It'll be interesting to see if the Jets have a good practice tomorrow and how the board changes. I don't like what I am hearing today but I'd rather the team struggles now. They can't go into the season thinking they're the sh*t because they are dominating 2nd stringers, they gotta earn that attitude.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Tim Tebow was the bestest college QB ever.  

And Tim Tebow as an NFL Rookie QB never ranked top 10 amongst all NFL Rookie QBs drafted, now did he?

Because Mekhi Becton just ranked and rated #3 amongst all Rookie Offensive Lineman drafted (all 47 of them) @ LT/LG/C/RG/RT (combined).

You bringing "Tim Tebow" when talking Mekhi Becton just shows us what type of hidden Mekhi Becton agenda you really have. 

Be honest. Tell the truth. Who did you really want JD to draft @ pick #11?

• Upvote 1

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

Ok... I have seen the back and forth about MB.  Does last year have bearing on his play this year?  probably, but doubt it matters to the NCS who see him struggle in TC everyday and now against Packers D.  

I like the opinion of the poster that stated you are responsible for your position and execution, and no one else.  Amen. 

If you are struggling against speed rushers then I would think the OLC would have him spend extra time on his footwork and lateral movement esp., around the edge.  However, today he also got beat by a CB blitz because he was out of position.  In addition, unless I read the Tweet wrong, he was beat on a couple of inside moves too. 

For me that is troubling.  I want to see how he performs against #1s not 2s,  I want to see how if he is able to make adjustments for tomorrows practice and Sat PS game.   

Also, not to rain on anyone's parade or add more consternation, but the OL gave up seven (7) sacks today.  Seven... 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And Tim Tebow as an NFL Rookie QB never ranked top 10 amongst all NFL Rookie QBs drafted, now did he?

Because Mekhi Becton just ranked and rated #3 amongst all Rookie Offensive Lineman drafted (all 47 of them) @ LT/LG/C/RG/RT (combined).

You bringing "Tim Tebow" when talking Mekhi Becton just shows us what type of hidden Mekhi Becton agenda you really have. 

Be honest. Tell the truth. Who did you really want JD to draft @ pick #11?

He was arguably the third best QB drafted in his class in his rookie year.  Bradford and McCoy were clearly better but 3rd best after that is very subjective as the rest of the QB's sucked.  Most 3rd best LT aren't all that great either.  It's a very high value position with a lot of bust potential. 

To be honest Becton wasn't really on my radar.  I would have taken Wirfs or Jeudy.  Also I'm not qualified to be an NFL GM so what I would do isn't relevant.  I'm just a fan who thinks he has great potential and hope he isn't soft and is willing to bust his balls to reach his potential. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Drums said:

It'll be interesting to see if the Jets have a good practice tomorrow and how the board changes. I don't like what I am hearing today but I'd rather the team struggles now. They can't go into the season thinking they're the sh*t because they are dominating 2nd stringers, they gotta earn that attitude.

Why are people talking like this is an overreaction to one day when this has been literally almost every day of training camp?

We can hope it’s just a practice thing with Becton but it’s hilarious how some of these same people are happy to use these camp reports to crown Elijah Moore the second coming of Antonio Brown but cry “we talkin’ practice” when our supposed franchise LT is being abused daily.

No one is suggesting we give up on the guy but to act like we shouldn’t be concerned that Becton has been one of our worst camp perfomers is equally delusional. 

• Post of the Week 1

People have such irrational thoughts on the Jets outlook this season. Best case scenario the Jets finish around. 500, either 8 or 9 wins.  Must likely scenario is they win 5-7 but show promise. They are the 4th best team in the division with a rookie QB until they prove they aren't. How anybody thinks they're going to be some great team or even a playoff team is beyond me. 

What we all should be hoping for is a team and QB that is exciting to watch and shows promise. Anything more than that and you're going to be awfully disappointed.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

18 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Why are people talking like this is an overreaction to one day when this has been literally almost every day of training camp?

We can hope it’s just a practice thing with Becton but it’s hilarious how some of these same people are happy to use these camp reports to crown Elijah Moore the second coming of Antonio Brown but cry “we talkin’ practice” when our supposed franchise LT is being abused daily.

No one is suggesting we give up on the guy but to act like we shouldn’t be concerned that Becton has been one of our worst camp perfomers is equally delusional. 

In practices/scrimmages , ends and pass rushers can go all out on their rushes as there's no ramifications for loss of containment, additionally QB's aren't typically calling audibles to take advantage of rushers. Furthermore, Olinemen know rushers aren't allowed to hit the QB (in practice) so they are not as concerned about being beaten wide. In real game scenarios the players understand the gravity of the situation and will adjust accordingly even if it means they need to hold now and then to protect their QB. Lawson is giving Becton a good test in practices but keep it all in context. 

To hear posters dying here with every snap of a practice or scrimmage is laughable . If it happens consistently in a PS game or regular season game when real bullets are flying then its time to get worried.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

People have such irrational thoughts on the Jets outlook this season. Best case scenario the Jets finish around. 500, either 8 or 9 wins.  Must likely scenario is they win 5-7 but show promise. They are the 4th best team in the division with a rookie QB until they prove they aren't. How anybody thinks they're going to be some great team or even a playoff team is beyond me. 

What we all should be hoping for is a team and QB that is exciting to watch and shows promise. Anything more than that and you're going to be awfully disappointed.

I think by mid season this defense is going to be real good.  If they get consistent offensive production this can be a team that surprises and potentially fights for a playoff spot.  Having said that with such a young squad and rookie coaches there's no judging how well they will handle adversity.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok. I was going to walk away from this thread until I noticed this quote/post above. 

Very up and down in pass protection @ college?

(Written in 2019). 

"Louisville left tackle Mekhi Becton has brought home some hardware early in college football award season. Becton, was named the winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy. The award has been awarded to the ACC's most outstanding blocker since 1953 an is voted on by league's head coaches and defensive coordinators. 

The Louisville offense took a strong step forward behind Becton's talent and leadership. Heading into the Kentucky game, Saturday, Becton had not allowed a single sack in 628 snaps this season.

He also had 60 total knockdowns in 10 games and graded above 80% in nine of those 10 games. He recorded a season-high seven knockdown blocks and had a 90% grade against Syracuse, just two weeks ago.

Over the course of his career, he allowed just four sacks in 2,300 snaps".

So 4 sacks throughout 2,300 NCAA career snaps with 0 holding penalties is what you consider "very up and down in pass protection"? 

I love you as a Jets fan man you're 100% passionate and I'll always look forward to your posts and I take 99.9% of your posts seriously but your Becton posts while claiming Becton was up and down in pass protection when he was the best pass protector in all of NCAA Football (only 4 sacks allowed and 0 holding penalties committed despite 2,300 snaps) is letting me know that you wanted to draft someone else and now you're holding something against him?

Who did you want @ 11th overall? Be honest too. Because I wanted Jerry Jeudy (and so thankful I was wrong).

@Mogglez

What do you mean "very up and down in college in pass protection" when he was THE BEST? And who did you really want at pick #11?

Every single scouting report on Becton said that he still needed to work on his pass protection.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2020/3/24/21186279/mekhi-becton-nfl-draft-2020-offensive-tackle-projection-highlights-film-jets

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/03/03/2020-nfl-draft-mekhi-becton-scouting-report/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/.amp/gm-report/seahawks-nfl-draft-profile-mekhi-becton

https://www.google.com/amp/s/elitesportsny.com/2020/04/24/new-york-jets-scouting-report-meet-the-mountain-mekhi-becton/amp/

I’m not rewriting history on Becton’s weaknesses, nor will I hide from the fact that I wanted Wirfs, even though he projected better as a RT.

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

In practices/scrimmages , ends and pass rushers can go all out on their rushes as there's no ramifications for loss of containment, additionally QB's aren't typically calling audibles to take advantage of rushers. Furthermore, Olinemen know rushers aren't allowed to hit the QB (in practice) so they are not as concerned about being beaten wide. In real game scenarios the players understand the gravity of the situation and will adjust accordingly even if it means they need to hold now and then to protect their QB. Lawson is giving Becton a good test in practices but keep it all in context. 

To hear posters dying here with every snap of a practice or scrimmage is laughable . If it happens consistently in a PS game or regular season game when real bullets are flying then its time to get worried.  

Ok, so why isnt every LT and RT in the league getting beat like a drum every practice.  Its not happening.  Its only happening w/ becton.

Zach dropped back 23 times today and on6 of those drop backs, becton got beat.  That is horrendous!!!

At first it was a carl lawson thing.  Now, you moved to its a practice thi g.

No, its a mechi becton thing and it needs to stop now or this guy cant be out there.

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Those Julio Jones and Jonathan Ogden comps for Mims and Becton aren’t aging well. Measurable’s like size and speed don’t automatically make you a Hall of Fame football player, who would’ve thought. 

Uh, it was Al toon and Orlando Pace comps from me.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don't care what the "scouting reports" read because the Football tape shows only 4 career sacks in pass protection, 0 holding penalties in pass protection and that's throughout 2,300+ Offensive Snaps. + An award for the best past protector. 

And Wirfs? Are you kidding me? 

Take your boy "Wirfs" away from...

1.) RT.

2.) Bruce Arians.

3.) Mike Evans.

4.) Chris Godwin.

5.) Antonio Brown. 

6.) Rob Gronkowski. 

7.) Leonard Fournette/Ronald Jones II. 

8.) HOF GOAT ? TOM BRADY ? (who gets the ball out faster than any other QB). 

And stick "Wirfs" @ and behind...

1.) LT (much more difficult).

2.) Adam Gase. ?

3.) Jamison Crowder. 

4.) B. Perriman (bust). ?

5.) Vyncint Smith. ?

5.) Braxton Berrios. ?

6.) Chris Herndon. ?

7.) Frank Gore ?

8.) Sam Darnold/Joe Flacco as his QBs ?

And you'd be screaming a different tune right now, now wouldn't you?

Wirfs was hidden and well protected from becoming exposed as a Rookie RIGHT TACKLE. And I live in Saint Petersburg Florida. Tampa Bay. So I know the truth. And none of my longtime Buccaneers friends of 20+ years never once raved about "Wirfs" of all players leading their Tom Brady led Buccaneers to the SB ???

Kind of how you make fun of Jamal Adams for playing the SS position this is where I make fun of Wirfs for not being good enough for LT but instead hidden at RT and hidden behind Bruce Arians, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski, Ronald Jones II, Leonard Fournette and TOM freaking BRADY!

Both of you and PFF would be singing a different tune if Becton were drafted into TB12's RT position while your favorite Wirfs was drafted into the crap Jets and forced to try and play LT. He would've looked like absolute dog crap homie. 

Don't worry. In 1-2 more years you'll finally get to see Wirfs fully exposed and without 7x SB Champion ??????? there to save his overrated PFF ass.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

You’ve become one of the more negative posters. I try to be even keeled as much as possible. I don’t like the struggles but they are what they are. No one on our team is perfect. I’m not gonna cry about it. That is what out coaches are for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Anyone have any video footage or even pictures of Becton getting "destroyed" today? 

Or...

are you guys just buying stock into the same beat writing hacks who are paid $$$ to tweet and destroy kids while also claiming Denzel Mims was going to be released and Zach was going to STINK heading into NYG because of "practices"?

lol, so now it's a conspiracy against Becton, and not just by the Jets beat writers, but Green Bay's, too.

You can't make this sh*t up.

Oh, wait. You did.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I don't care what the "scouting reports" read because the Football tape shows only 4 career sacks in pass protection, 0 holding penalties in pass protection and that's throughout 2,300+ Offensive Snaps. + An award for the best past protector. 

And Wirfs? Are you kidding me? 

Take your boy "Wirfs" away from...

1.) RT.

2.) Bruce Arians.

3.) Mike Evans.

4.) Chris Godwin.

5.) Antonio Brown. 

6.) Rob Gronkowski. 

7.) Leonard Fournette/Ronald Jones II. 

8.) HOF GOAT ? TOM BRADY ? (who gets the ball out faster than any other QB). 

And stick "Wirfs" @ and behind...

1.) LT (much more difficult).

2.) Adam Gase. ?

3.) Jamison Crowder. 

4.) B. Perriman (bust). ?

5.) Vyncint Smith. ?

5.) Braxton Berrios. ?

6.) Chris Herndon. ?

7.) Frank Gore ?

8.) Sam Darnold/Joe Flacco as his QBs ?

And you'd be screaming a different tune right now, now wouldn't you?

Wirfs was hidden and well protected from becoming exposed as a Rookie RIGHT TACKLE. And I live in Saint Petersburg Florida. Tampa Bay. So I know the truth. And none of my longtime Buccaneers friends of 20+ years never once raved about "Wirfs" of all players leading their Tom Brady led Buccaneers to the SB ???

Kind of how you make fun of Jamal Adams for playing the SS position this is where I make fun of Wirfs for not being good enough for LT but instead hidden at RT and hidden behind Bruce Arians, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski, Ronald Jones II, Leonard Fournette and TOM freaking BRADY!

Both of you and PFF would be singing a different tune if Becton were drafted into TB12's RT position while your favorite Wirfs was drafted into the crap Jets and forced to try and play LT. He would've looked like absolute dog crap homie. 

Don't worry. In 1-2 more years you'll finally get to see Wirfs fully exposed and without 7x SB Champion ??????? there to save his overrated PFF ass.

Becton can be seen as a good player in his own right, I dont think wirfs haveing a good tema means he didnt earn it. He went against starters and did well. We shoudl give him credit, sure may have been different circumstances but that is just the way it is. 

Wirfs can be good along side Becton. Who i think is good as well.

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Becton can be seen as a good player in his own right, I dont think wirfs haveing a good tema means he didnt earn it. He went against starters and did well. We shoudl give him credit, sure may have been different circumstances but that is just the way it is. 

Wirfs can be good along side Becton. Who i think is good as well.

Witfs had a PFF rating of 81.8 (while playing in RT heaven).

Becton had a PFF rating of 74.4 (while playing in LT hell). 

Reverse the tables. Switch teams. Put Mekhi @ RT for Brady and Arians + elite Offensive weapons everywhere and put Wirfs @ LT for Sam/Joe/GASE + crap offensive players everywhere...

And Mekhi Becton has a Buccaneers PFF Rating in the 90's and Wirfs has a Jets PFF Rating in the 60's. 

PFF doesn't take into account surrounding teamsters which is why it's a flawed site and there's no question who's a more dominant OT (and it's not Wirfs).

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Maybe Darnold was helping to make Becton look last year...  :) 

• What about 50 yo RB Frank Gore?

• What about atrocious Adam Gase and where is he now?

• What about play calling Dowell Loggains and where is he now? 

• What about B. Perriman 1st round bust and gone after 1 year?

• What about Vyncint Smith and Braxton Berrios who had to fill in for Denzel Mims first 7 weeks due to a Rookie injury?

• What about completely washed up standing statue Joe Flacco? 

• What about Becton's help at LG in Feeney and the other guy what's his name (running to Google now) Pat Elflein? 

Etc. Etc. 

Did any of these trash ass guys help Mekhi Becton look good @ LT last year? 

And this why I can't stand fans who run to PFF in order to prove Wirfs was "better" than Mekhi Becton. 

Wirfs would've looked like complete crap if drafted into NYJ and forced into playing LT and Mekhi Becton would've made an All-Pro team as a rookie if drafted into TB12's (much easier) RT position while always getting rid of the ball in 1.5 seconds flat etc.