Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

Since Mekhi Becton became the #1 story of this TC thread (and rightfully so)...

I'm still waiting to see video footage and/or even just pictures in order to judge for myself on how bad Becton really got "destroyed" today?

Because if you expect me to believe the same beat writing hacks who made you believe (not me, but you) that Denzel Mims was being "released" because of TRAINING CAMP REPS, Carl Lawson was "embarrassing" Mekhi Becton in PRACTICE and/or how Zach Wilson already looks like a "bust" because of a green and white PRACTICE well then you're mistaken because all 3 of Zach Wilson, Mekhi Becton and Denzel were our 3 best offensive players during Preseason game #1. 

Maybe three beat writing hacks who you guys believe in (without any footage to see for yourselves) should keep crapping all over these kids and why not? They seem to play better after being written bad about ?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

36 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

lol, so now it's a conspiracy against Becton, and not just by the Jets beat writers, but Green Bay's, too.

You can't make this sh*t up.

Oh, wait. You did.

Can you post me video evidence of football film within the form of footage that you've witnessed with your own two eyes during today's practice?

• Was Zach Wilson holding the ball for too long? 

• Was Mekhi Becton's LG who wasn't Alijah Vera-Tucker hurting him in pass protection as his teammate?

• Were GBs CBs locking down our WRs without Elijah Moore and became coverage sacks? 

• Were these guys out there playing two hand touch or actually sacking/tackling Zach Wilson? 

• How were Mekhi Becton's RBs in pass protection? 

✓ You don't know how to answer any of these questions do you? 

✓ Because you haven't watched any real film footage of todays practices, have you? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

People have such irrational thoughts on the Jets outlook this season. Best case scenario the Jets finish around. 500, either 8 or 9 wins.  Must likely scenario is they win 5-7 but show promise. They are the 4th best team in the division with a rookie QB until they prove they aren't. How anybody thinks they're going to be some great team or even a playoff team is beyond me. 

What we all should be hoping for is a team and QB that is exciting to watch and shows promise. Anything more than that and you're going to be awfully disappointed.

THIS 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Can you post me video evidence of football film within the form of footage that you've witnessed with your own two eyes during today's practice?

• Was Zach Wilson holding the ball for too long? 

• Was Mekhi Becton's LG who wasn't Alijah Vera-Tucker hurting him in pass protection as his teammate?

• Were GBs CBs locking down our WRs without Elijah Moore and became coverage sacks? 

• Were these guys out there playing two hand touch or actually sacking/tackling Zach Wilson? 

• How were Mekhi Becton's RBs in pass protection? 

✓ You don't know how to answer any of these questions do you? 

✓ Because you haven't watched any real film footage of todays practices, have you? 

How were Bectons rbs in protection? Lol

Its okay to just say he got beat a few times today. It happens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Nathan Shepard is setting a trend in hair style. Too bad I don't have the hair on top to match/compete ...

image.png.18bd2ed97043be48f1e871bd1c85b010.png

Nathan Shepherd could bring like a 6th or 7th rounder maybe one that becomes like a 4th or 5th with production if it comes down to Marshall (who we likely lose if we cut) and Shepherd.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Well, the honeymoon is over.

Time to see what Saleh is made of. Does he give the firey motivational speech we all hope he is capable of? Does he rethink the plan and make adjustments? Does he have the guts to bench poor players? Or is he just a pretty boy players coach. With a killer ass. And shoulders to die for.

Time will tell.

Or does he wait for actual in game performance to decide?

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ok, so why isnt every LT and RT in the league getting beat like a drum every practice.  Its not happening.  Its only happening w/ becton.

Zach dropped back 23 times today and on6 of those drop backs, becton got beat.  That is horrendous!!!

At first it was a carl lawson thing.  Now, you moved to its a practice thi g.

No, its a mechi becton thing and it needs to stop now or this guy cant be out there.

So are you watching reports from every teams practices -  no you are not. Your just reacting to our beat writers and fans overreaction to meaningless practice Stats.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Zach said something interesting today. He was asked when he would be allowed to go "off schedule" and he essentially said that what they are doing in camp is to try and execute the play from the pocket. He feels the pressure but since he can't be hit and they are not getting really close it's hard to know when he would scramble of when it would actually be a sack. In real game situations it will be different.

So in essence in these practices any "QB pressure" is counted as a "sack". OL gives up pressures. Lawson had tons of pressures last year and only like 5 or 6 sacks.

In reality "sacks" are a function of many things on the offense: how well the OL blocks, the blocking call, the relation between the lineman, how good the defensive coverage is, how long the QB holds the ball, how does the QB move in the pocket and scramble, etc...

So the two situations are completely different. Certainly some would be in-game sacks but others might just be a pressure where the QB moves in the pocket. I also suspect that Zach is holding the ball longer in practice than he will in games because they want to complete the rep, work on the timing etc.

So i personally am not all distraught that there are a lot of "pressures" in practice at this point. In game will be different. Zach threw in like an average of 2.4 seconds on Saturday. If he can continue that he will not be sacked much at all either

How many sacks did Lawson have in the Giants game

ZERO

How many did Becton give up?

ZERO

• Upvote 1

From Connor Hughes

• It wasn’t just the Packers who created pressure. The Jets got a bit of their own. I watched the offense on Wednesday (I’ll be with the defense on Thursday), but Schneidman said Carl Lawson was a force on several of Rodgers’ throws. John Franklin-Myers and Bryce Huff each had sacks, too, in the Packers’ two-minute drill.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

New York Jets QB Zach Wilson a 'fanboy' around Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers

New York Jets rookie Zach Wilson, who grew up idolizing Aaron Rodgers, was admittedly starstruck upon meeting the Green Bay Packers' quarterback for the first time at a joint practice Wednesday in Green Bay. So too was Jets second-year quarterback James Morgan, who played high school ball in Green Bay.

"James is a big fanboy. He was getting a little nervous," a smiling Wilson told reporters after practice. "I'm a big fanboy too. We all have to kind of pretend like we've been there before. We're enjoying just being out here and being able to talk to him."

Wilson said he was "100 percent" a Rodgers fan as a kid, although he recently claimed that Tom Brady is the best of all time because of his seven Super Bowl championships.

Wilson and Rodgers met on the field during a special teams period, with Rodgers offering tips on how to orchestrate a two-minute drill.

"We're all technically at the same level now -- we're all in the NFL -- but we're all still kind of like, 'You know what? That's Aaron Rodgers. That's kind of crazy,'" Wilson said.

Wilson has drawn comparisons to Rodgers because of his playing style, particularly his ability to make off-schedule plays. The Jets drafted him second overall, thinking he has star potential -- but there's an enormous gap between potential and being one of the all-time greats.

Wilson admitted "it's hard" to watch Rodgers because he's so good and smart.

"It's like I want to do what he's doing, but when you've got 16 years of experience, and the checks and the calls he's making on the field ...

Zach Wilson got to meet Aaron Rodgers for the first time on Wednesday with the Jets in Green Bay for joint practices with the Packers. AP Photo/Matt Ludtke

"The coaches, first of all, don't want me to do that stuff. It's too much on someone's plate. There aren't many guys in the league who can do what he's doing out there as far as seeing what's going on and changing plays."

Wilson said he spoke to Rodgers a couple of times in the offseason when the agency that represents Rodgers was recruiting the former BYU star as he was leaving school to enter the draft. Wilson wound up choosing a different agency.

As a young quarterback in Corner Canyon, Utah, Wilson said he "always tried to copy what he's been doing because he's done it the right way for such a long time. He's just a fun player to watch."

Wilson took mental notes as he watched Rodgers execute a two-minute drill, noting he looked "calm and collected. It was like he was just kind of messing around. He's playing backyard football, having a good time, and he makes it work."

The two teams will practice again Thursday and will meet Saturday at Lambeau Field. Wilson, coming off a successful preseason debut against the New York Giants, is expected to play a few series.

"Zach's a good kid," Rodgers said after practice. "It's fun to see him."

Rodgers, asked about Morgan, was unaware the second-year quarterback was from the area.

"He went to Ashwaubenon?" Rodgers said of the high school that's located 1.4 miles from Lambeau Field. "I didn't even know that. I really didn't."

It sounds like Wilson, who was only 6 years old when Rodgers entered the NFL in 2005, wishes he could stick around longer.

"If I could spend more time with him and keep asking questions," he said, "I would."

ESPN's Rob Demovsky contributed to this report.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Zach said something interesting today. He was asked when he would be allowed to go "off schedule" and he essentially said that what they are doing in camp is to try and execute the play from the pocket. He feels the pressure but since he can't be hit and they are not getting really close it's hard to know when he would scramble of when it would actually be a sack. In real game situations it will be different.

So in essence in these practices any "QB pressure" is counted as a "sack". OL gives up pressures. Lawson had tons of pressures last year and only like 5 or 6 sacks.

In reality "sacks" are a function of many things on the offense: how well the OL blocks, the blocking call, the relation between the lineman, how good the defensive coverage is, how long the QB holds the ball, how does the QB move in the pocket and scramble, etc...

So the two situations are completely different. Certainly some would be in-game sacks but others might just be a pressure where the QB moves in the pocket. I also suspect that Zach is holding the ball longer in practice than he will in games because they want to complete the rep, work on the timing etc.

So i personally am not all distraught that there are a lot of "pressures" in practice at this point. In game will be different. Zach threw in like an average of 2.4 seconds on Saturday. If he can continue that he will not be sacked much at all either

This is all true, good news and I think we'll see much more from ZW.  

But everyone is playing under the same conditions and no one else is getting beat like Becton. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Rodgers, asked about Morgan, was unaware the second-year quarterback was from the area.

"He went to Ashwaubenon?" Rodgers said of the high school that's located 1.4 miles from Lambeau Field. "I didn't even know that. I really didn't."

James Morgan after hearing this:

Bbc One Drama GIF by BBC

21 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Neither have you, you f****** tool.

You're just doing these homerific mental gymnastics to convince yourself and everyone else that there's 100%, no how, no way that any "perceived" struggles are actually Becton's fault. It's either:

1. Unimportant because it's practice.

2. Literally anyone else's fault.

3. A joint conspiracy between both team's beat reporters. (Seriously, how stupid is that.)

No one is even calling Becton a bust, and with the exception of one or two posters, no one is jumping off a bridge over this. Most of us just think it's something to watch, and are hoping it's nothing. God forbid anyone think that maybe -- just maybe -- Becton is actually struggling and that's a bad thing.

Seriously lay off the homer pills.

I think it's more serious than just the pills.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Every single scouting report on Becton said that he still needed to work on his pass protection.  I’m not rewriting history on Becton’s weaknesses, nor will I hide from the fact that I wanted Wirfs, even though he projected better as a RT.

You are insane if you'd take a RT at 11.    

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

You are insane if you'd take a RT at 11.    

I still think Wirfs can play LT.  Either way, if Becton does take this massive regression that it’s looking like he might take, we might have unintentionally taken one.  The second these struggles appear in the regular season he needs to move or be pulled from the line.  You cannot, and I mean CANNOT, have your LT giving up pressure or sacks left and right because that’s exactly how Wilson ends up on IR by week 8 or 9.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

One of these beat guys needs to be all over Saleh about Becton.  They have not said one thing to coach about becton getting beat like a drum every day.  Its time for answers.

What does that accomplish?  I think they can see practice.  Are they going to smack their foreheads and say "Wow!  I didn't realize that. Hey Rich, what should we do?"   Should we bring Beningo back to the FAN to rant tomorrow too (God NO) ?  

26 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I still think Wirfs can play LT.  Either way, if Becton does take this massive regression that it’s looking like he might take, we might have unintentionally taken one.  The second these struggles appear in the regular season he needs to move or be pulled from the line.  You cannot, and I mean CANNOT, have your LT giving up pressure or sacks left and right because that’s exactly how Wilson ends up on IR by week 8 or 9.

Mogglez, you need to relax. You’re writing the dude off when he was legitimately good last year. He faced really talented pass rushers last year and proved his worth. Maybe he does regress but he’s earned the benefit of the doubt where we should at least wait until we see a game before we move him to guard or RT.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I think Mekhi's physicality, stretched over a whole game instead of the handful of plays in practice (especially since he's not trying to destroy his teammates every play) is what makes him more of a gameday player than a practice player. By the third, fourth quarter these "speed" guys have no legs to sack the qb.

Yup, that's my theory. I'm stickin to it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You used “if “once and” might “twice in the same sentence.  You should just throw in “I hope “ in there as well.   

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Mogglez, you need to relax. You’re writing the dude off when he was legitimately good last year. He faced really talented pass rushers last year and proved his worth. Maybe he does regress but he’s earned the benefit of the doubt where we should at least wait until we see a game before we move him to guard or RT.

I’m not writing anyone off.  Contrary to the beliefs of those who can’t possibly fathom being critical of a player, I’m hoping like anything that Becton continues to prove my pre-draft opinions of him wrong and this is all just some anomaly.  However, almost an entire month of getting beat like a drum doesn’t scream anomaly to me.  Yes, you can point to the Giants game and scream “he’s fine”, but Becton isn’t going to be going against a rookie 2nd round pick who had so-so sack totals in college throughout the regular season.  He’s going to be going against players on the same level as Lawson and Preston Smith.  If he can’t handle it, then he can step aside for someone who can as far as I’m concerned.

10 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

You used “if “once and” might “twice in the same sentence.  You should just throw in “I hope “ in there as well.   

And you should learn how to use quotation marks and the space bar properly because reading that post was like trying to read a pre-schooler’s paper on why Mommy and Daddy are the best.

You, and anyone else for that matter, who think I want Becton to fail can go chew on rocks.  You ridiculous homers can’t fathom that maybe, just maybe, his struggles are legitimate and that it’s something very concerning since he’s responsible for protecting our number one asset.  It’s f*cking bonkers.

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m not writing anyone off.  Contrary to the beliefs of those who can’t possibly fathom being critical of a player, I’m hoping like anything that Becton continues to prove my pre-draft opinions of him wrong and this is all just some anomaly.  However, almost an entire month of getting beat like a drum doesn’t scream anomaly to me.  Yes, you can point to the Giants game and scream “he’s fine”, but Becton isn’t going to be going against a rookie 2nd round pick who had so-so sack totals in college throughout the regular season.  He’s going to be going against players on the same level as Lawson and Preston Smith.  If he can’t handle it, then he can step aside for someone who can as far as I’m concerned.

Listen, I’ll be the first in line to yell bust if he stinks in games. All I’m saying is you have to afford him that opportunity to stink in games. He’s actually earned that.  

Pointing to training camp/practice and whipping yourself into a worry before those actual games is a bit much. I mean, feel free, have at it. I just think you’re prematurely driving yourself crazy. When I see with my own eyes him consistently stinking in real games, I’ll fork lift him myself to RT.

• Upvote 1

image.png.4de33df8287a6724861e7daea36c0188.png

Today was just a practice.

And without our most impactful player on Defense too in Quinnen Williams. 

But as a Jets fan I'm not scared of no Aaron Rodgers against a (healthy) coach Robert Saleh led Defense. 

2019 Saleh with a (healthy) 49ers Defense vs. Aaron Rodgers' Green Bay Packers (x2).

(WAKE ME UP WHEN THE LIGHTS COME ON).

Week 11

San Francisco (9-1). 

Green Bay (8-2). 

Aaron Rodgers

• 20/33 (60.6%).

• 104 passing yards (3.1 yards per pass attempt).

• 1 TD/0 INTs. 

• 1 fumble (lost).  

• 5 sacks.

• QB Rating of only 75.8. 

San Francisco won 37-8

{Saleh improved to 10-1 as DC and Aaron Rodgers fell to 8-3 as QB}. 

PLAYOFFS (NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME).

San Francisco (14-3).

Vs. 

Green Bay (14-3). 

Aaron Rodgers

• 31/39 (79.4%). 

• 326 passing yards (8.4 yards per pass attempt).

• 2 TDs/2 INTs. 

• 3 Fumbles (1 loss). 

• 3 sacks. 

• QB Rating of 97.2. 

San Francisco won 37-20. 

{Saleh advanced to the SB as DC and eliminated one of the greatest QBs of All-Time in Aaron Rodgers}. 

BOTH GAMES COMBINED:

(Saleh = 2-0 and Rodgers = 0-2). 

Aaron Rodgers:

• 51/72 (70.8%).

• 430 passing yards (only 215 passing yards per game @ only 5.9 yards per pass attempt).

• 3 TDs/2 INTs. 

• 4 Fumbles (2 lost). 

• 4 Turnovers. 

• 8x Sacked. 

• 28 combined points (only 14.0 points scored per game). 

• QB Rating of only 86.5. 

✓ GB got outscored by the score of 74-28 (-46 points). 

Like I said a moment ago. When me up when the lights come on and the GAMES (practices) COUNT.

image.thumb.png.38a42c58c168eb46e277dfaae3a4d756.png

I should create a thread about this (copy and paste) in order to make a big deal about it ("practice").

• PS: We were without Elijah Moore/Quinnen Williams/Alijah Vera-Tucker (and on the road too).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

Listen, I’ll be the first in line to yell bust if he stinks in games. All I’m saying is you have to afford him that opportunity to stink in games. He’s actually earned that.  

Pointing to training camp/practice and whipping yourself into a worry before those actual games is a bit much. I mean, feel free, have at it. I just think you’re prematurely driving yourself crazy. When I see with my own eyes him consistently stinking in real games, I’ll fork lift him myself to RT.

Exactly.  Imagine how much more praise we could heap on him , if he played the less challenging position.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1