Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

10 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Listen, I’ll be the first in line to yell bust if he stinks in games. All I’m saying is you have to afford him that opportunity to stink in games. He’s actually earned that.  

Pointing to training camp/practice and whipping yourself into a worry before those actual games is a bit much. I mean, feel free, have at it. I just think you’re prematurely driving yourself crazy. When I see with my own eyes him consistently stinking in real games, I’ll fork lift him myself to RT.

Of course you have to afford him that.  I never said anything otherwise.  The problem is, as of now, there is evidence that something isn’t right, so how long does that leash go once the season starts?  If we had a veteran QB back there and not a 2nd overall pick of rookie QB that we are trying to develop, I’d say “f*ck it who cares?”

That isn’t the case though.

I don’t feel like seeing Zach shred his knee because Becton earned the benefit of the doubt and faltered.  According to those so far up his ass they could see his heart, that’s controversial, which blows my mind.  Not wanting our potential FQB to get hurt, is a hot take because it hurts the fans of Becton’s fee fees.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Becton isn’t playing well it seems but if Feeney is as bad as reported then that probably has a lot to do with it

Very well could be.  At the very least I think it’s making it worse.  However, these struggles were still present with AVT in there.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I still think Wirfs can play LT.  Either way, if Becton does take this massive regression that it’s looking like he might take, we might have unintentionally taken one.  The second these struggles appear in the regular season he needs to move or be pulled from the line.  You cannot, and I mean CANNOT, have your LT giving up pressure or sacks left and right because that’s exactly how Wilson ends up on IR by week 8 or 9.

He can't play LT as a blind-side pass protector and that's because he's never done it before. Which is why he's always been hidden at RT for both Iowa (NCAA) and Tampa Bay (NFL). 

And how can you say that Mekhi Becton is "regressing" when he's still only 22 years old and developing before even entering his 2nd NFL season? 

Because Mekhi Becton just looked flat out dominant against the Giants (vs. another NFL professional) in Azeez Ojulari an OLB out of Georgia who dominated the elite SEC as an elite edge pass rusher with 9.5 sacks last year (2nd round pick!).

Regressing?

But yet he just feasted against an awesome Azeez Ojulari and without Alijah Vera-Tucker to help him @ LG too? Yeah. Ok.

You think Becton struggled vs. the Raiders? 

D'Brickishaw Ferguson (my favorite Jets LEFT TACKLE OF ALL-TIME) once allowed (as a Rookie) 3 sacks during a single game vs. Aaron Schobel and the Buffalo Bills (WEEK 14).

And D'Brickishaw Ferguson damn near got Chad Pennington destroyed.

Because not only did D'Brickishaw Ferguson as a ROOKIE allow Pennington to become sacked 3x by Aaron Schobel but he also allowed Aaron Schobel to dominate him with another 9 tackles, 3 QB hits, 3 tackles for loss and a Forced Fumble. Brick was atrocious on that day (not a practice, but a game).

And that wasn't his only Rookies struggles throughout 2006's Rookie season either. 

I remember that game like yesterday and I can dig back to my JI posts of me having to defend a kid Rookie D'Brickishaw Ferguson vs. angry Jets fans who (back then) didn't understand the definition of player development. 

All I can say is thnx the Football Gods for our coaching staff and GM not quitting on a young D'Brickishaw (nor listening to some of our fan base) and all because of a couple angry Jets fans wanted to bench the kid after that game; while also completely throwing him away too.

(and all because they were pissed off that we didn't draft their favorite Reggie Bush as the "next Gayle Sayers" who went before him and also passed on everyone's favorite TE Vernon Davis).

So they held it against him (sound familiar?). 

And I remember.

Because I defended a baby D'Brickishaw Ferguson on JI as I'm now defending a baby Mekhi Becton here on JN).

Let's not throw Mekhi Becton away (just as we didn't do to D'Brickishaw Ferguson) before giving this kid a chance to fully develop (Brick didn't even make his first of multiple Pro Bowls until 2009 during his 4th season).

PS: Mekhi Becton's 2020 Rookie season was more dominant than Bricks 2006 Rookie season.

If you really believe that JD will allow his 1st ever draft pick to be pulled, benched and thrown away and all because of having growing pains as a 2nd developing LT? It isn't happening. 

(just like it never happened with D'Brickishaw Ferguson; and rightfully so).

Mekhi Becton will make more Pro Bowls than Brick (3) and more All-Pro's than Brick (0, which imo wasn't right) and I'm 100% confident in my prediction too. 

TLDR;

I think it's hilarious how fans are now trying to throw away Mekhi Becton as they once tried to do to a baby D'Brickishaw Ferguson during his rookie season both before and after Aaron Schobel embarrassed the (developing) kid with 3 sacks of Chad Pennington during week 14 (when some fans thought he should've been "fully developed" by then), another 3 QB hits allowed on Chad Pennington, 9 total tackles (while beating ?) along with a forced fumble too. 

And now it's beginning to happen to Mekhi Becton (all over again) and I'm not buying it (just like I wasn't buying it on JN back in 2006 either).

There's already talk about benching the kid because of practices?

Funny.

Because he just physically destroyed Azeez Ojulari who's an OLB/DE out of Georgia and who dominated the elite SEC as an elite edge pass rusher with 9.5 sacks last year (2nd round pick!).

(See for yourself)

AND DO NOT WATCH ZACH WILSON...

ONLY FOCUS ON MEKHI FKN BECTON!

HIGHWAY 77 AKA THE BIG TICKET AKA MT. BECTON JUST MADE THAT SEC 2ND ROUND PICK LOOK LIKE HE DIDN'T EVEN BELONG ON THE SAME FIELD AS MEKHI BECTON!!!!

image.png.fdcfc55d894a734ffdba397e3dea44ab.png

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

TLDR;

I think it's hilarious how fans are now trying to throw away Mekhi Becton as they once tried to do to a baby D'Brickishaw Ferguson during his rookie season both before and after Aaron Schobel embarrassed the (developing) kid with 3 sacks of Chad Pennington during week 14 (when some fans thought he should've been "fully developed" by then), another 3 QB hits allowed on Chad Pennington, 9 total tackles (while beating ?) along with a forced fumble too. 

And now it's beginning to happen to Mekhi Becton (all over again) and I'm not buying it (just like I wasn't buying it on JN back in 2006 either).

There's already talk about benching the kid because of practices?

Funny.

Because he just physically destroyed Azeez Ojulari who's an OLB/DE out of Georgia and who dominated the elite SEC as an elite edge pass rusher with 9.5 sacks last year (2nd round pick!).

(See for yourself)

AND DO NOT WATCH ZACH WILSON...

ONLY FOCUS ON MEKHI FKN BECTON!

HIGHWAY 77 AKA THE BIG TICKET AKA MT. BECTON JUST MADE THAT SEC 2ND ROUND PICK LOOK LIKE HE DIDN'T EVEN BELONG ON THE SAME FIELD AS MEKHI BECTON!!!!

image.png.fdcfc55d894a734ffdba397e3dea44ab.png

TL;DR

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

And you should learn how to use quotation marks and the space bar properly because reading that post was like trying to read a pre-schooler’s paper on why Mommy and Daddy are the best.

You, and anyone else for that matter, who think I want Becton to fail can go chew on rocks.  You ridiculous homers can’t fathom that maybe, just maybe, his struggles are legitimate and that it’s something very concerning since he’s responsible for protecting our number one asset.  It’s f*cking bonkers.

I can fathom it. Trust me, I've seen plenty of busts in the past 25 years. Just saying I want to see it in a game. And no, I don't consider practice proof positive a guy stinks just like I don't consider it proof positive a guy is great. How many times have we heard of players lighting it up in practice and disappear in games? He'll, last year under gase apparently we were a super bowl team Monday-Friday but somehow were totally inept on Sunday. Remember those reports on how awesome the team was practicing?

I'm just looking out for your blood pressure bro. And no, choosing not to hang our hats on practice reports doesn't make us blind Homers in this case because Becton played at a high level last year. We have actual video evidence to rely upon until proven otherwise. If he was a rookie or stunk last year, yes, I'd be more concerned. I'll wait until I see a real game which is a totally reasonable, non-homer position. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I still think Wirfs can play LT.  Either way, if Becton does take this massive regression that it’s looking like he might take, we might have unintentionally taken one.  The second these struggles appear in the regular season he needs to move or be pulled from the line.  You cannot, and I mean CANNOT, have your LT giving up pressure or sacks left and right because that’s exactly how Wilson ends up on IR by week 8 or 9.

So far these struggles have only appeared while playing 2 hand touch:

*Becton had a very credible rookie campaign.

*The entire OL is learning a new blocking scheme this year.

*He's playing next to a backup level LG so has more ground to cover.

*He's a mauler which is how he stops guys in real games.   

• Post of the Week 1

I don't know how many pages are dedicated to Becton, but after all the wasted time nobody has even come close to changing their mind. What a wasted day, for what? To try to get the last word in. Even worse, I wasted the time to see if someone would change their mind.

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

So far these struggles have only appeared while playing 2 hand touch:

*Becton had a very credible rookie campaign.

*The entire OL is learning a new blocking scheme this year.

*He's playing next to a backup level LG so has more ground to cover.

*He's a mauler which is how he stops guys in real games.   

I know you remember D'Brickishaw Ferguson getting used and abused by Buffalo's DE during his Rookie 2006 season man.

Thankfully we didn't quit on him my dude (while still developing).

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He can't play LT as a blind-side pass protector and that's because he's never done it before.

Which is why he's always been hidden at RT for both Iowa (NCAA) and Tampa Bay (NFL). 

And how can Mekhi Becton be "regressing" when he's still only 22 years old and developing before even entering his 2nd NFL season? 

Because Mekhi Becton just looked flat out dominant against the Giants (vs. another NFL professional) in Azeez Ojulari who's an OLB out of Georgia and who dominated the elite SEC as an elite edge pass rusher with 9.5 sacks last year (2nd round pick!).

Regressing?

But yet he just feasted against an awesome Azeez Ojulari and without Alijah Vera-Tucker to help him @ LG too? Yeah. Ok.

You think Becton struggled vs. the Raiders?

Because D'Brickishaw Ferguson (my favorite Jets LEFT TACKLE OF ALL-TIME) once allowed (as a Rookie) 3 sacks during 1 single game vs. Aaron Schobel and the Buffalo Bills (WEEK 14).

And D'Brickishaw Ferguson damn near got Chad Pennington destroyed. Because not only did D'Brickishaw Ferguson as a ROOKIE allow Pennington to become sacked 3x by Aaron Schobel but he also allowed Aaron Schobel to dominate him with another 9 tackles, 3 QB hits, 3 tackles for loss and a Forced Fumble. ? was ATROCIOUS on that day (not a practice but a game).

And that wasn't his only Rookies struggles throughout 2006 either. 

I remember that game like yesterday and I can dig back to my JI posts of me having to defend a kid Rookie D'Brickishaw Ferguson vs. angry Jets fans who (back then) didn't understand the definition of player development. 

All I can say is thnx the Football Gods for our coaching staff and GM not quitting on the kid and not listening to some of our fan base and all because of a couple angry Jets fans wanted to bench the kid after that game; while also completely throwing him away too (and all because they were pissed off that we didn't draft Reggie Bush as the "next Gayle Sayers" who went before him and also passed on everyone's favorite TE Vernon Davis). So they held it against him

(I remember. Because I defended a baby ? on JI).

QB: Sam Darnold (42nd QB Rating).

QB: Joe Flacco (completely washed up).

RB: Frank Gore (50 years old and now retired).

WR: B. Perriman (1st round bust and thrown away).

WR: Vyncint Smith (won't even crack our top 5). 

WR: Braxton Berrios (won't even crack our top 5).

WR: Denzel Mims (beat writing hacks saying he'll become released). 

LG: Dan Feeney and the other guy (trash). 

TE: Chris Herndon (everyone tells me he's a bust).

LTTRISTAN WIRFS: 

Wirfs wouldn't have even regressed because Wirfs would've failed from day one and would've looked like absolute crap @ LT if drafted into our Jets (imo).

Let's not throw Mekhi Becton away (just as we didn't do to D'Brickishaw Ferguson) before giving this kid a chance to fully develop (Brick didn't even make his first of multiple Pro Bowls until 2009 during his 4th season).

PS: Mekhi Becton's 2020 Rookie season was more dominant than Bricks 2006 Rookie season.

Come on Mogz dude if you really feel and believe that JD will allow his 1st ever draft pick to be pulled, benched and thrown away and all because of having growing pains as a 2nd year LT puppy? It isn't happening man (just like it never happened with D'Brickishaw Ferguson; and rightfully so).

Mekhi Becton will make more Pro Bowls than Brick (3) and more All-Pro's than Brick (0, which imo wasn't right) and I'm 100% confident in my prediction too. 

And I'm going to continue supporting this kid even when it's not the popular thing to do; and I wish D'Brickishaw Ferguson would've had a Twitter after his nightmare Buffalo game too. 

Screenshot_20210818-233258.thumb.png.0f14981c4630cfc1f39241d722726d4e.png

I’m not getting into a Becton/Wirfs bickering match with anyone, as I’m not overly concerned with Becton and I think Wirfs is being a bit pumped up to try and make an argument against Becton.  That said some of the stuff you stated about Wirfs in this post is unequivocally false. I’m not arguing against your views on Becton, just trying to be factual.

Wirfs did play LT at Iowa for stretches and was very good when he did.  The reason he didn’t play LT full time is because they had another very good college tackle who was considerably worse when playing RT and Wirfs was equally good on both sides(maybe ever so slightly better at RT).  That’s how Wirfs ended up RT at Iowa, absolutely zero to do with his ability to play the position at the college level.

15 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember years when the Jets dominated preseason and would go like 4-0 in exhibition games followed by a 6-10 season. Some of you need to calm down with these preseason overreactions. He was good last year. No reason to think he won't be as good, if not better this year. 

Not to mention he's learning a new system and probably not looking to maul a dude in practice. 

he was a good run blocker. as a pass blocker he didnt grade out highly and it's been showing all through camp this year