Jump to content

Washington Football Team narrows list of possible new names down to three final candidates


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prediction: This thread is locked in under 5 pages.

The Washington Douches

And watch all the confederate-flag loving Southerners go bonkers?   Yes, please.

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I think I had the best idea.  Washington Federals.  And the uniform would be a Civil War Union soldier's themed uni.  Dark union blue top with gold numbers and accents. Light union blue pant with gold or red stripe.  Dark union blue helmet with gold US Eagle or gold crossed swords or  gold cannon logo.  Grey face mask.  Appropriate, manly and attractive. 

union02.jpg

i really like this.

thats where our federal government works, they play at Fed ex field. good name. 

they used to have a baseball team called the Senators

the team now is the Nationals..

the hockey team are the Capitals...

the only team with a dumb name are the Wizards...

well until these guys pick

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, Washington… center of our government… Reds… nickname for commies?

What is this, 1953?

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites

My hometown CFL team had to change its' name this year (which it had for probably almost 70 years) from Edmonton Eskimos to Edmonton Elks.  Due to growing current day outrage over using the word Eskimos.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My hometown CFL team had to change its' name this year (which it had for probably almost 70 years) from Edmonton Eskimos to Edmonton Elks.  Due to growing current day outrage over using the word Eskimos.

Naturally. Who thought of this names in the first place? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Washington Presidents would be the funniest team name in Sports because their mascots would dress up like old presidents and after loses NYG/DAL/PHI fans would post pictures such as...

image.png.633ccf38a64c801625e583ca683f849d.png

And to really piss their fans off (I won't even say his name because politics aren't allowed) it would make them go nuts 😭

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

Naturally. Who thought of this names in the first place? 

Naturally?  A good many of the innuit who were surveyed were fine with the name a few even thought it was an honor even though it is a slang name.  A vocal  minority raised a stink just the last few years after very little problem with it for years.

There really is a LOT of sports names in place now that can be looked at as a problem, if you choose to make it a problem.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Which one you like?

Here's a list of the eight names that were shown in Monday's video (The team was still considering roughly 30 names back in April, so the fact that these eight made the cut would indicate that one or more of them might be one of the three finalists): 

Armada
Brigade 
Commanders
Defenders
Presidents
RedHogs
RedWolves
Washington Football Team

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-football-team-narrows-list-of-possible-new-names-down-to-three-final-candidates/

 

RedHogs, and it's not close.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

Like it has been previously mentioned, Washington Football Club would be the best name for a franchise.

 

Simple but classic.

at this rate all teams will be called Football club

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've warmed up to sticking WFT...  an ode of sorts to the history. 

If i had to pick from that list I would go with Red Wolves. Armada has a nice ring to it, but it's a little heavy handed for a football team. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like they’re gonna stay the Washington Football Team. Trademark a their slick W logo with the established date under it and leave it alone. Their problem is gonna be trademarking the actual name and enforcing that trademark. It’s super generic.

I’d love it if our alternates next year are a throwback hybrid where we mostly go by “Gotham City Football Club” 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

My hometown CFL team had to change its' name this year (which it had for probably almost 70 years) from Edmonton Eskimos to Edmonton Elks.  Due to growing current day outrage over using the word Eskimos.

What is wrong with eskimos?

 

edit: I see it’s a derogatory term.  I never knew that. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

What is wrong with eskimos?

 

edit: I see it’s a derogatory term.  I never knew that. 

Yea, I actually only learned this recently too. Book I’m reading sent me down a rabbit hole.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Naturally?  A good many of the innuit who were surveyed were fine with the name a few even thought it was an honor even though it is a slang name.  A vocal  minority raised a stink just the last few years after very little problem with it for years.

There really is a LOT of sports names in place now that can be looked at as a problem, if you choose to make it a problem.

What vocal minority? What I know about the topic is that Eskimo is considered a term that was imposed by European settlers on indigenous people. Therefore it's easy to understand the connotation of the name with a darker past of the American continent. Like, I live in Australia and I'm pretty sure it would be inconceivable for a sports team to adopt Aboriginals as a mascot, that's simply absurd. 

 

The following declaration hits the nail on the head:

Natan Obed, the president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, the organization that represents the 65,000 Inuit in Canada, had called for a nickname change in 2015 but declined further comment when contacted by the Guardian recently, referring to what he’d said in the past. “This issue is about our right to self-determine who we are on our own terms. We are not mascots or emblems,” Obed wrote in 2015.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the Washington Walruses?

 

It would physically describe most of the lawmakers and when they score a TD, their fans at the stadium can all chant, "Goo Goo Ga Joob".

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

What is wrong with eskimos?

 

edit: I see it’s a derogatory term.  I never knew that. 

Well it is a derogatory name now.  It was never used in a derogatory manner the previous 65 years. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

What vocal minority? What I know about the topic is that Eskimo is considered a term that was imposed by European settlers on indigenous people. Therefore it's easy to understand the connotation of the name with a darker past of the American continent. Like, I live in Australia and I'm pretty sure it would be inconceivable for a sports team to adopt Aboriginals as a mascot, that's simply absurd. 

 

The following declaration hits the nail on the head:

Natan Obed, the president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, the organization that represents the 65,000 Inuit in Canada, had called for a nickname change in 2015 but declined further comment when contacted by the Guardian recently, referring to what he’d said in the past. “This issue is about our right to self-determine who we are on our own terms. We are not mascots or emblems,” Obed wrote in 2015.

 

 

"This week, the franchise finally released some findings from its consultation with Inuit communities earlier this year, outlined in its 2019 annual report.

That research found that 78 per cent of western Arctic Inuit oppose the team changing its current name, the report said.

In Nunavut, 55 per cent of Inuit oppose a name change, while in the rest of the eastern Arctic, 31 per cent of Inuit oppose any change to the team’s name.

“For the Inuit who view the [team] name positively, the dominant theme is pride,” the report said.

Despite those numbers, the football team is facing increased pressure to change its name. Although there have long been calls by Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and others for the CFL to reconsider the name, a few of the football’s clubs sponsors have weighed in in recent weeks.

Boston Pizza ended its partnership with the team last week, while Belairdirect has said its continued support will be contingent on a name change.

As well, the Washington Redskins recently announced they would change their team name, which has long been considered a slur against Indigenous peoples.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Leave it as it is if you ask me.   Fairly unique Though..... 'Red hogs'.........

Never.  That be offensive to Native American hogs.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m surprised so many of you like Football Team. To me it seems a bit boring, like you had the opportunity to brand a product but couldn’t be bothered to do it. 
 

Since I’ve constantly been mistaking WFT for WTF, I suggest:

Washington The F*cks 

Was it on the list, I’m a gambling man. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, I actually only learned this recently too. Book I’m reading sent me down a rabbit hole.

Pls be sensitive.  A few got mad recently and said they prefer bunny hole. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...