Washington Football Team narrows list of possible new names down to three final candidates

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Are there people from the north like that? Just curious

I was on a Civil War history forum for about ten years. The running joke was that it was clear that the war wasn't over. Northerners didn't drive that narrative at all... mainly because the Union was victorious. For the most part discussion was "civil" and very knowledgeable. Some serious scholars attended regularly. As well as enactors... those guys who dress up in civil war gear and show up on anniversaries of battles to play them out. They were literally immersed in the minutiae of individual soldiering and meticulous re the step by step action of specific battles. And there was a sadness about it all as well. Focusing so intensely on how a nation ripped itself apart over a vile institution that should have been abolished years before is demoralizing to say the least. Strange how so many of its themes have resurfaced with such force in recent years. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

30 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I was on a Civil War history forum for about ten years. The running joke was that it was clear that the war wasn't over. Northerners didn't drive that narrative at all... mainly because the Union was victorious. For the most part discussion was "civil" and very knowledgeable. Some serious scholars attended regularly. As well as enactors... those guys who dress up in civil war gear and show up on anniversaries of battles to play them out. They were literally immersed in the minutiae of individual soldiering and meticulous re the step by step action of specific battles. And there was a sadness about it all as well. Focusing so intensely on how a nation ripped itself apart over a vile institution that should have been abolished years before is demoralizing to say the least. Strange how so many of its themes have resurfaced with such force in recent years. 

I’m sure. Don’t doubt that for a second. I’m also sure you can find somebody up north who thinks we are at war with the crazed rednecks 

The odd obsession with retaining #HTTR (Hail To The Red...whatevers) is part of the naming problem, as it severely limits potential names.

Washington Warthogs, clearly the best possible name.  Alliteration.  Angry violent aggressive Logo.  Tie in to history (team shortened name, "The Hogs!").

But no, we get WFT and Red this and Red that and Red this other thing, few of which are any good.

Red Tails is a bad idea, it's the same "but, but, but we meant to honor them!" argument all over, so that's gotta be out as an option.

Red Wolves is maybe the least horrid of the Red group, tolerable at least, with an opportunity for a decent logo.  And there are no Wolves in the NFL (a bunch of Cats, the Dog Pound, but no Wolves).

So yeah, Warthogs, if not, Red Wolves I guess. 

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

My hometown CFL team had to change its' name this year (which it had for probably almost 70 years) from Edmonton Eskimos to Edmonton Elks.  Due to growing current day outrage over using the word Eskimos.

Ridiculous- that is one of the coolest sports names. 

15 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Which one you like?

Here's a list of the eight names that were shown in Monday's video (The team was still considering roughly 30 names back in April, so the fact that these eight made the cut would indicate that one or more of them might be one of the three finalists): 

Armada
Brigade 
Commanders
Defenders
Presidents
RedHogs
RedWolves
Washington Football Team

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-football-team-narrows-list-of-possible-new-names-down-to-three-final-candidates/

Heres some more names from a betting site from July:

Washington Football Team New Name For 2022 Season Odds

Washington Redtails+250

Washington/Washington DC Football Team+250

Washington Redwolves+450

Washington Renegades+900

Washington Presidents+1000

Washington Sentinels+1200

Washington Lincolns+1200

Washington Aviators+1600

Washington Generals+2000

Washington Guardians+2000

Washington Kings+2500

Washington Aces+2500

Washington Ambassadors+2500

Washington Americans+3300

Washington Armada+4000

RedHogs would be the best imo.  Pay some homage to the history of the team, have some fun and keep the Red part of the name intact. Unique too. The others are kind of the same old same old. 

Presidents?   come on. lol 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I’m sure. Don’t doubt that for a second. I’m also sure you can find somebody up north who thinks we are at war with the crazed rednecks 

Except that it's not a North-South divide today. It's more of an Urban-Rural divide within states. Which is a tension as old as the Republic. Federalists and Democratic-Republicans (Jeffersonians) were fighting tooth and nail over many of the same issues. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Except that it's not a North-South divide today. It's more of an Urban-Rural divide within states. Which is a tension as old as the Republic. Federalists and Democratic-Republicans (Jeffersonians) were fighting tooth and nail over many of the same issues. 

Yes. But I think we have a good  portion of people slowly waking up.  The media and the feds are getting caught in lies quite often  during the pandemic. It’s creating a strange union.  I’m hopeful 

14 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

A political scientist would likely tell you the primary divide is college educated vs. non-college educated.

This specific metric shows itself pretty clearly in almost every political, policy or 'belief' divide in our country today.

This does align to some degree with Urban vs. Rural, but not fully.

• Upvote 1

I like the Washington Monuments as a name. Plays up the local identity without getting political. They can keep the current uniforms and color scheme. Their logo could easily incorporate an identifiable monument like the Washington monument. 

I don't get the animal names at all. There's no hogs running around the streets of the district.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A political scientist would likely tell you the primary divide is college educated vs. non-college educated.

This specific metric shows itself pretty clearly in almost every political, policy or 'belief' divide in our country today.

This does align to some degree with Urban vs. Rural, but not fully.

No--college educated voters are generally evenly divided. Among white voters it skews 10-15% in favor of Dems but all other racial groups tend to divide fairly evenly between the two parties. 

32 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Yes. But I think we have a good  portion of people slowly waking up.  The media and the feds are getting caught in lies quite often  during the pandemic. It’s creating a strange union.  I’m hopeful 

That's an odd take. Literally everyone has been guilty of skewing facts to their purpose. Look at all the utter nonsense that has inundated the internet and snared the gullible and the paranoid among us. 

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

That's an odd take. Literally everyone has been guilty of skewing facts to their purpose. Look at all the utter nonsense that has inundated the internet and snared the gullible and the paranoid among us. 

There is a predominant narrative in the media that aligns with government policy.  Some of those lies are being exposed 

17 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Washington Goodguys

Washington Camelot’s 

Washington Archilbalds 

OK - it took me a while  to put this one together. I can't remember/keep them straight in my memory.  I only set foot in the place on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown. Wasn't one of the above north of Dupont Circle?