What kind of life is this?

JazzyJet

I'm 36 years old, grew up in Connecticut, DC metro, and Pittsburgh. I'm a fan of the Jets, Mets, Rangers, and Knicks. This thread is only for people who share my specific pain. Yankees, Devils, and Giants fans need not apply.

I was 10 when the Rangers won the SC. Besides that, it's been nothing but awful disappointment while I have seen the teams all around me win championships:

Patriots - 6 times, Red Sox 4 times, Bruins 1 time, Celtics 1 time

Steelers - 2 times, Penguins 3 times

Ravens - 2 times, Caps 1 time, Nationals 1 time

Giants - 2 times, Yankees 5 times

Eagles - 1 time, Phillies 1 time

Devils - 3 times

And this just geographically speaking, it doesn't include honorary mentions like the Tampa Bay Lightening winning with our players, the Braves owning the Mets, and the many times these teams have also been to the championships and lost.

This has to effect personality? Doesn't it? Not to expect nice things? Being pessimistic?

Does any other group of fans have it worse than Jets-Mets-Rangers-Knicks fans?

1 minute ago, JazzyJet said:

I'm 36 years old, grew up in Connecticut, DC metro, and Pittsburgh. I'm a fan of the Jets, Mets, Rangers, and Knicks. This thread is only for people who share my specific pain. Yankees, Devils, and Giants fans need not apply.

I was 10 when the Rangers won the SC. Besides that, it's been nothing but awful disappointment while I have seen the teams all around me win championships:

Devils - 3 times

And this just geographically speaking, it doesn't include honorary mentions like the Tampa Bay Lightening winning with our players, the Braves owning the Mets, and the many times these times have also been to the championships and lost.

This has to effect personality? Doesn't it? Not to expect nice things? Being pessimistic?

You're stuck being a Jets fan.  I mean giants fans just suck.

But other than that, improve your life.

Become a Yankee and Devil fan.

Stop watching basketball. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, peebag said:

oh boo hoo hoo.

Try 50+ years of this BS then come back and cry.

So you weren't frustrated after your first 30 years like me and Jazzy Jet who's the same exact age?

Early 90's elementary school is when I fell in love with my Jets and you being older in age doesn't make you a more passionate or better Jets fan than anyone else. 

Losing felt good to you during your first 30 years of fandom?

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Devils - 3 times

And this just geographically speaking, it doesn't include honorary mentions like the Tampa Bay Lightening winning with our players, the Braves owning the Mets, and the many times these teams have also been to the championships and lost.

Hey it's supposed to be Islander, Jets and Mets, what went so wrong in your life that you became a rangers fan?  Oh and they won the Cup in 94 with a big assist from the Oilers, just sayin... ?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The Lawson injury stinks but keep in mind the Bengals let him leave. This is hardly a make or break moment for Jets fandom.

It's just compounded over compounded.  In the overall big picture of NFL football, no - losing the best player on your roster isn't the end of the world.

But it's just classic Jetyness.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Lawson injury stinks but keep in mind the Bengals let him leave. This is hardly a make or break moment for Jets fandom.

While signing another premier pass rusher to replace him. In hindsight, I guess they just didn’t feel comfortable paying him given his injury history.

I feel your pain @JazzyJet.  Just swap out the Islanders for Rangers, but we have the 3 other teams in common.  I am a bit older than you.  By the time I was 25, I saw the Mets win 2x, Knciks win 2x, Isles win 4x and Jets once.  Since then, it has been 35 years of nothing but near misses.  Even added Georgia to the mix when I went to grad school down there, and all they did is add a couple of other near misses.

At some point, I learned to enjoy the ride, regardless of the destination.  I still want my teams to win, but even if they don't, I enjoy the ride with like minded friends -- including some  on this board.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Devils - 3 times

I get what you’re saying but I quite enjoyed those Penguins Stanley Cups.

Somehow I chose a Penguins, Jets, Pirates trifecta as a fan (at one time I liked the knicks but now I don’t care about the NBA).

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Devils - 3 times

nope

• Upvote 1

I follow all the same teams you do.  I have been doing it for 40 plus years of misery.  Put it behind you.  The teams don't pay your bills, unless you work for the organization.  Just enjoy it as entertainment and don't get to wrapped up in it.  Everything will be fine.

I got 2 wins from the Knicks,  I was only 3 when the second one happened so I consider that 0.  1 from the Rangers and 1 from the Mets.  Oh the joy.  LOL

I'm old enough to where the success of the Mets, Jets & Knicks in the late 60s/early 70s seeped into my formative brain and made me believe it was ok to root for those teams (I have no memory of those championships). I call it my "birth defect".

Not a big hockey fan.

Since then, I've experienced 1 championship. At this rate, the next one I witness will probably kill me (heart attack)

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Devils - 3 times

Poor me.

Theres always suicide.

• Sympathy 1

To the OP:

It builds character for life’s REAL misfortunes, cruelty, and devastating heartaches.

The BS I’ve been (we’ve all been) in the past year and 1/2 alone was an example and to be able to endure it all without wanting for suicide is due to my early Jets fan hood since the age of 6 y.o. Lol. ?

Iron sharpens iron and TRUE JETS FANS endure and outlast the rest. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Devils - 3 times

Sorry about all that. But if you lived in DC do you at least get my joke from the Washington Football team babe thread? 

16 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Washington Goodguys

Washington Camelot’s 

Washington Archilbalds 

5 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

To the OP:

It builds character for life’s REAL misfortunes, cruelty, and devastating heartaches.

The BS I’ve been (we’ve all been) in the past year and 1/2 alone was an example and to be able to endure it all without wanting for suicide is due to my early Jets fan hood since the age of 6 y.o. Lol. ?

Iron sharpens iron and TRUE JETS FANS endure and outlast the rest. 

we'll always be there to help people who are used to things going well cope. silver lining!

• Sympathy 1