Carl Lawson injury rationalization thread

thshadow

Glass half full…. Someone else needs to step up with 9 sacks. Yeah- I get it… tons of pressure too. If you're a year away from 50 and watched this team for over 40 years. Are you really that surprised?? Next man up. Let’s hope they get out of camp with no more serious injuries.

• Upvote 1

I hope it's not a career or season ending injury. Anything less and we will have a better defense and more experienced DL when he returns. We have a young team, it may allow us to develop another solid youngster to replace Lawson. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year. I am more concerned with development of our QB than an injury to a DLman. 

It’s never good when you lose a (potential) star but I’d say if there is one area we have quality depth(Blair/Curry) and potential(Huff) it’s along the DL.  Even if he is out, I still think the pass rush could be decent and better(considerably better) than at any point in the past 5 years if not more.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

1,000 years from now we’ll all be dust in the wind so in the end, it doesn’t even matter 

Indeed. Against a backdrop of the rolling hills and sprawling plains of Wisconsin, their very sense of permanence juxtaposed the impermanence of human life, and the fatalism of the New York Jets. As Leonard Shuler would say, 'all  of the Jets pleasures - appointing Saleh, drafting Wilson, AVT, Moore, signing Lawson - are fleeting, yet their troubles are constant'. 

• Haha 1

1. This utterly sucks, there is no rationalization but....I'll try:

2. Jets were not winning the Super Bowl in 2021 anyway.

3. We do have some depth at DLine, maybe this opens a spot for a young guy which would have otherwise been cut or on Practice Squad, and that player uses the opportunity to show some growth and potential heading into 2022 and beyond...

4. We do have two 1sts and two 2nds next year....So maybe this "helps" us to a worse record in 2021, and gets us a higher draft slot...

5. With those picks next year, JD can aggressively target a stud pass rusher, if he so chooses.

Yeah, that's all I got...can someone please pass the bottle of Jack?

• Upvote 1

If you want to be a great team, your season cannot depend on the health of a player who is not your QB.  Let's hope there comes a time in the near future when an injury like this, while tragic for the player, is not devastating to the team's season.

Next Man Up! 

PS. Who wants to go in with me on the "ALL GAS, NO BREAKS" Jets t-shirts?

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Wait, I've got one more....

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/20/robert-saleh-excited-adversity-new-york-jets/

Coach Saleh said he's truly excited for adversity...

"When the going gets tough, Robert Saleh gets going — and he would like to see his team follow suit."

So, if 2021 is a year to change the culture of the New York Jets, this presents a huge opportunity for the organization to evaluate who rises to the challenge and who doesn't.  

Out of adversity rises opportunity.  Well, there is now a huge opportunity for someone to step up.  Let's see who, if anyone, answers the call...

If we're rationalizing, I'd start with this:

The loss of Lawson is the loss of a guy who produced 3.8 sacks a year for the last three years, and made alot of "almost got there" plays.

While he looked good early in camp, there is no evidence that he would have had a breakout year, that was all hopeful/wishful thinking still to be determined.

So we've lost 3.8 sacks and a bunch of almosts, at minimum.  Fine, sucks, but fine.  

We'll just have to hope our young ex-D-Co Salah can coach up the other D-Linemen as a group to fill the gap.  That is, in part, why we hired the young man, to coach up our players and team.  Now he'll really have to earn that paycheck.

Is what it is.

• Upvote 1