Carl Lawson OUT FOR SEASON

Rhg1084

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't believe that we are this upset about Carl Lawson.  Yes, we were excited to see him and he seemed like a great fit.  Big ******* deal.  When they signed him we knew there was a 75% chance he would suck.  He didn't suck and got hurt.  Huge difference?  We have some bodies on the DLine.  Let's see some scheme.  Let's see Huff and Hamilcar.  

Yeah this is not true.

The only chance of him sucking was if he went full Mo Wilkerson after being paid. He’s a very good player who was only getting better. If he had stayed healthy I would say the floor of what he could be here was Calvin Pace, who was very good.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If there was anyone else on the roster, the Lawson signing would not have happened.  This creates a hole that cannot be filled this season at all.  

Not true at all. You never have enough pass rushers. If the Jets had Chase Young they still would have tried to sign Lawson. 

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't believe that we are this upset about Carl Lawson.  Yes, we were excited to see him and he seemed like a great fit.  Big ******* deal.  When they signed him we knew there was a 75% chance he would suck.  He didn't suck and got hurt.  Huge difference?  We have some bodies on the DLine.  Let's see some scheme.  Let's see Huff and Hamilcar.  

75% chance he'd suck?

What are you talking about?

PFF write-up on Jets dline...

The Jets were not a good football team in 2020. But they did have several promising seasons from young defensive linemen, namely Quinnen Williams, Folorunso Fatukasi and John Franklin-Myers. Those three all finished among the top 35 interior defenders in the NFL in overall grade last season.

New York proceeded to add Sheldon Rankins, Vinny Curry and Carl Lawson to the group in free agency, placing an emphasis on improving the unit. Lawson should provide much-needed pass-rushing ability off the edge. No edge defender graded higher as a pass rusher on true pass-rushing snaps than him in 2020.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

And won nothing, 

It doesn't mean they were rebuilding.  Look, today sucks and this and the passing of Knapp are terrible blows for the success of this team, but this team has not been rebuilding for 53 years.  There were years where the Jets were Super Bowl contenders.  Was every team other than TB rebuilding last season?  It's just a nonsensical statement to say the Jets have been rebuilding since 69.  It's NFL football media anti-Jets hyperbole.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think it's just because of the reports we were reading in camp.   I was telling folks to pump the brakes a bit on expectations, the season was going to be different then just pinning your ears in practice but it was hard not to get caught up in  the way he was being hyped with all the reports.  Truth be told, we were hoping with Lawson to begin with as he's never been a double digit sack guy, has an injury history and is really a 1 trick pony but still, the reports were drool worthy and this definitely takes some wind out of the sail. 

Sucks, particularly for Lawson who had a chance to hit the upper echelon of pass rushers. Feel bad for the dude.

Unfortunate Becton won’t be able to practice against him either.

Fortunately for Lawson, with $30M guaranteed he’s set for life if this is a career ender.

At his age and the way his contract was structured, he and the Jets left a door open for him to get a second big deal before he’s 30. Hopefully for both sides he’s able to come back healthy and make that happen. Know it’ll be tough.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It doesn't mean they were rebuilding.  Look, today sucks and this and the passing of Knapp are terrible blows for the success of this team, but this team has not been rebuilding for 53 years.  There were years where the Jets were Super Bowl contenders.  Was every team other than TB rebuilding last season?  It's just a nonsensical statement to say the Jets have been rebuilding since 69.  It's NFL football media anti-Jets hyperbole.  

Theres always next year and we are always rebuilding. 

joewilly12 

Lifelong fan. 58 years of this. 

Injuries are part of the game sick and tired of hearing all the time we are rebuilding. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the hell… I don’t think I’ve ever lumped your name in with the peanut gallery before, but going to have reassess. This is your worst take yet.

It’s a huge fcking deal, others we wouldn’t even have an NFL draft, just weekly walk ons. Talent matters. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This one stings worse than any preseason injury I can recall during my time. 

Chad Pennington going down due w/a wrist injury to a BS late hit by Dhamani Jones in the ‘03 preseason game vs. The Giants. 

SOUL-CRUSHING after the high expectations set by his great winning record that saved our season in ‘02 leading us to our last division crown. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This goes to show how stupid the daily hand wringing is over the beat writer's play by play tweets, who beat who for a sack, and who looks good and doesn't in practice.  Yesterday Becton having a rough camp was the end of the world. Today, that is meaningless. The main goal of preseason is to install the O and D and avoid injuries. It is not to practice more in pads or for every player to look great.  Too much emphasis is being put on the play-by-play in practice so beat writers in a dying industry can justify their existence with "hits" and many on this board are falling for it.  Instead, the goal is to get ready for an 18 week season with no major injuries.  Other than an injury to Wilson, this was the worst possible injury the Jets could have suffered.  Who cares about Becton now??????? Where is the hand wringing over whether Wilson had a good or bad practice today?  I hope this puts things in perspective.  Becton could turn things around in 2 weeks or 10 weeks.  Wilson will up and down.  But Lawson is done and gone, maybe for 2 seasons. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Chad Pennington going down due w/a wrist injury to a BS late hit by Dhamani Jones in the ‘03 preseason game vs. The Giants. 

SOUL-CRUSHING after the high expectations set by his great winning record that saved our season in ‘02 leading us to our last division crown. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know how old you are - but Vinny is '99 was worse.  That team was going to the Super Bowl....

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Reminds of Vinny's injury in the season opener in '99. Devastating.

Vinny yes, I was still figuring out life Post-CLE. it was the 2000 Jets that stole my heart. I remember the deflation related to his loss tho. 

Chad in 03?  I didn’t like anything about that off-season. Coles to the redskins was a bummer that started a whole year of “no” 

• Upvote 2