Carl Lawson OUT FOR SEASON

Rhg1084

38 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If the Jets had a bona-fide RDE who rushed the passer, Lawson would not have been signed to a big free agent deal by the Jets.  Period.  

Totally disagree with you, but I respect your opinion. Let’s leave it at that and hope other guys step up.?

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't believe that we are this upset about Carl Lawson.  Yes, we were excited to see him and he seemed like a great fit.  Big ******* deal.  When they signed him we knew there was a 75% chance he would suck.  He didn't suck and got hurt.  Huge difference?  We have some bodies on the DLine.  Let's see some scheme.  Let's see Huff and Hamilcar.  

Because we would be a better defense and better team with Lawson? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Well guys, if you had, top free agent acquisition dominates training camp until rupturing his Achilles and being lost for the season AND quarterback coach tasked with developing #2 overall pick QB gets run over by a car and dies on your New York Jets Off-Season BINGO Card, come on up and collect your prize.

The season is not lost. Our defensive line is our strength and we can make up for Lawson. Our kid quarterback looks like the real deal.  We can run the ball.   8 wins is the expectation.  That’s realistic.  That’s bingo. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

So who would have been worse to lose for the season?

Zach?  Yeah for obvious reasons.

Becton?  Probably, but Fant n Moses could be decent tackles.

Mosley?  Yeah.  I expect him to lead the D.

Quinnen?  Nope.  Plenty of DT depth.

Davis?  No.  Also some decent WR depth.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The season is not lost. Our defensive line is our strength and we can make up for Lawson. Our kid quarterback looks like the real deal.  We can run the ball.   8 wins is the expectation.  That’s realistic.  That’s bingo. 

SAR I

Oh, I don’t disagree.  But hard to argue the snake bit franchise notion right now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Vinny was not PS though it was Game1 of the regular season. 

That was my worst memory in the sense that we were everyones pick to make it to the SB and with all of that excitement along with a beautiful opening day and the season was over 1 quarter into the season

If we cant win because Lawson is out, we weren't winning much with him.  QB in game one was much worse

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't use the word cursed, and I'm not making jokes at Lawson's expense. It's just been going on for way too long. My breaking point was the Thanksgiving game against the Pats. Yeah that's right they scored 58 points in 21 seconds!

At least that's what it felt like while I was curled up in the fetal position for 3 days after being embarrassed in front of my entire family.

But seriously does anybody else remember what player it was that injured himself coming out of the tunnel? I believe it was a free agent former star, possibly a qb? It was a game where like as soon as the broadcast started they said and so and so apparently tripped over a wet towel and he's out for the season?

Don't know if it was definitely out for the season but it was definitely somebody got hurt like either during warm-ups or walking out of the tunnel and it was some totally bizarre Jets crap.

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Well guys, if you had, top free agent acquisition dominates training camp until rupturing his Achilles and being lost for the season AND quarterback coach tasked with developing #2 overall pick QB gets run over by a car and dies on your New York Jets Off-Season BINGO Card, come on up and collect your prize.

I can’t decide to laugh or cry at this.  Probably both.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Agree, but this one hurts as bad as any injury since then

actually bought in to them being a competitive team this year 

Yeah, this one hurts but for different reasons....

I really thought and still believe that team in 99 was going to the Super Bowl. 

I did not expect the team this year to win a whole of games this year - but thought they would be fun to watch and had the youth to build on a create a Super Bowl contender in the next couple of years...

Now I'm thoroughly convinced this team is cursed.  I'm not one to believe in the supernatural - but there really is no other way to see it at this point.  It's more or less ruined football for me.  I'll still watch and still cheer, but I KNOW any time something good happens to this team - something terrible will stop it. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Neil O’Donnell slipped on the wet end zone astroturf and like hyper-extended his calf or something to that degree IIRC. 

edit: Found it!

In '96, their sorry season was epitomized by what happened to O'Donnell on Dec. 1. Returning from a six-game shoulder injury, he tore a calf muscle in pregame warm-ups. In a light rain, he practiced his dropbacks in the end zone and slipped on the Jets' logo that was painted on the artificial-turf at the old Giants Stadium. The injury was so severe that it ended his season.

I was at O’Donnell’s first game as a Jet at Old Mile High.

That was a beauty.  Game was over at kickoff.

It stinks to lose Lawson, from what I saw he and Williams were
going to be a big problem for offenses.  What will be interesting
to see is who steps up to grab Lawson's spot on the roster.  To
me the following DLinemen are going to make the team:

Williams
Rankins
Huff
Fatukasi
Franklin-Myers
Blair
Marshall

Who takes the last 1 or 2 spots?

Rashed
Smart
Zuniga
Shepherd
Curry
Phillips

And will Saleh/Ulbrich move guys around to different spots
to get the best pass rushers on the field?  Could we see
Williams or Rankins at DE in some packages?  Interesting
coaching decisions coming up

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I really felt conflicted trying to pick out an emoji rep for this one.  Quite challenging indeed. I opted out because every choice gave me a feeling of guilt but this was...idk...clever? 

Why are you guys so broken up about this? Lawson is a good pass rusher but he's not a game wrecker. And it's not like you were going to be legit contenders this year. All you guys should worry about this season is that Zach Wilson and Robert Saleh show growth. You are 2 years away from being Super Bowl contenders if everything goes right.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanBurner said:

Why are you guys so broken up about this? Lawson is a good pass rusher but he's not a game wrecker. And it's not like you were going to be legit contenders this year. All you guys should worry about this season is that Zach Wilson and Robert Saleh show growth. You are 2 years away from being Super Bowl contenders if everything goes right.

In 2020 he ranked as the NFL's #1 edge defender on pass downs.

Imagine that next to Quinnen Williams.

And now realize our CBs are at best, unproven projects. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanBurner said:

If you were following camp this year he was 100% a game wrecker.

Also if you were paying attention the Jets have not had a legit edge rusher in 15 years.

To go along with that the jets have had legions of high priced bum free agents and we finally have one that looks legit.

If Stephon Diggs tore his Achilles, I;m sure the brave bills fans would have no angst and just smile and next man up.

• Upvote 1