Carl Lawson OUT FOR SEASON

Rhg1084

7 minutes ago, BillsFanBurner said:

Why are you guys so broken up about this? Lawson is a good pass rusher but he's not a game wrecker.

Bingo.  

Between Josh Allen’s season ender and Zach Wilson’s emergence the AFC East is ours.  Just worried about the AFC Championship Game.  We could have used Lawson against the Chiefs.  Sucks.  

SAR I

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I really felt conflicted trying to pick out an emoji rep for this one.  Quite challenging indeed. I opted out because every choice gave me a feeling of guilt but this was...idk...clever? 

You don’t have a catatonic emoji?

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Well guys, if you had, top free agent acquisition dominates training camp until rupturing his Achilles and being lost for the season AND quarterback coach tasked with developing #2 overall pick QB gets run over by a car and dies on your New York Jets Off-Season BINGO Card, come on up and collect your prize.

The prize is a punch in the dick, but it comes with a free frozen yogurt.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanBurner said:

According to who or what?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-defensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

7. NEW YORK JETS

The Jets were not a good football team in 2020. But they did have several promising seasons from young defensive linemen, namely Quinnen Williams, Folorunso Fatukasi and John Franklin-Myers. Those three all finished among the top 35 interior defenders in the NFL in overall grade last season.

New York proceeded to add Sheldon Rankins, Vinny Curry and Carl Lawson to the group in free agency, placing an emphasis on improving the unit. Lawson should provide much-needed pass-rushing ability off the edge. No edge defender graded higher as a pass rusher on true pass-rushing snaps than him in 2020.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If you were following camp this year he was 100% a game wrecker.

Lol in training camp? Against Becton who has apparently been bad all around? I promise you when the regular season came around Lawson was not going to be a game wrecker. He's a pretty good pass rusher. You overpaid a little bit for him, which is fine because that's what you do to get free agents from other teams. But he has never been a game wrecker.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If Stephon Diggs tore his Achilles, I;m sure the brave bills fans would have no angst and just smile and next man up.

We are in a completely different part of our life cycle as a team. When Josh Allen was a rookie if Tre'Davious White had torn his achilles I would have been devastated for him. But it would not have changed my outlook on that season. And White is a much better player than Lawson.

Until you guys are in a Super Bowl window don't worry about it. Lawson has a full year to get ready for next season, 2 years to get ready for the first season you should be in your championship window if Wilson develops. The only possible bad scenario for the Jets this year is that Wilson, or maybe Elijah Moore, suffer a season ending injury. You're probably a 6 win team at best no matter what else happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-defensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

7. NEW YORK JETS

The Jets were not a good football team in 2020. But they did have several promising seasons from young defensive linemen, namely Quinnen Williams, Folorunso Fatukasi and John Franklin-Myers. Those three all finished among the top 35 interior defenders in the NFL in overall grade last season.

New York proceeded to add Sheldon Rankins, Vinny Curry and Carl Lawson to the group in free agency, placing an emphasis on improving the unit. Lawson should provide much-needed pass-rushing ability off the edge. No edge defender graded higher as a pass rusher on true pass-rushing snaps than him in 2020.

Lol how did I know you were going to cite PFF? Come on. If he was that good he would have gotten more money. He might be at Jerry Hughes's level. I love Jerry Hughes. But he is not a game wrecker.

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Neil O’Donnell slipped on the wet end zone astroturf and like hyper-extended his calf or something to that degree IIRC. 

edit: Found it!

In '96, their sorry season was epitomized by what happened to O'Donnell on Dec. 1. Returning from a six-game shoulder injury, he tore a calf muscle in pregame warm-ups. In a light rain, he practiced his dropbacks in the end zone and slipped on the Jets' logo that was painted on the artificial-turf at the old Giants Stadium. The injury was so severe that it ended his season.

And there you go!!!  Smdh.

1 hour ago, BillsFanBurner said:

Why are you guys so broken up about this? Lawson is a good pass rusher but he's not a game wrecker. And it's not like you were going to be legit contenders this year. All you guys should worry about this season is that Zach Wilson and Robert Saleh show growth. You are 2 years away from being Super Bowl contenders if everything goes right.

Go.

Away.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I really felt conflicted trying to pick out an emoji rep for this one.  Quite challenging indeed. I opted out because every choice gave me a feeling of guilt but this was...idk...clever? 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

You don’t have a catatonic emoji?

doctor who blonde woman GIF

• Haha 1

According to who or what?

GTFO

Lol in training camp? Against Becton who has apparently been bad all around? I promise you when the regular season came around Lawson was not going to be a game wrecker. He's a pretty good pass rusher. You overpaid a little bit for him, which is fine because that's what you do to get free agents from other teams. But he has never been a game wrecker.

We are in a completely different part of our life cycle as a team. When Josh Allen was a rookie if Tre'Davious White had torn his achilles I would have been devastated for him. But it would not have changed my outlook on that season. And White is a much better player than Lawson.

Until you guys are in a Super Bowl window don't worry about it. Lawson has a full year to get ready for next season, 2 years to get ready for the first season you should be in your championship window if Wilson develops. The only possible bad scenario for the Jets this year is that Wilson, or maybe Elijah Moore, suffer a season ending injury. You're probably a 6 win team at best no matter what else happens.

You

Lol how did I know you were going to cite PFF? Come on. If he was that good he would have gotten more money. He might be at Jerry Hughes's level. I love Jerry Hughes. But he is not a game wrecker.

Tw@t

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I think it's just because of the reports we were reading in camp.   I was telling folks to pump the brakes a bit on expectations, the season was going to be different then just pinning your ears in practice but it was hard not to get caught up in  the way he was being hyped with all the reports.  Truth be told, we were hoping with Lawson to begin with as he's never been a double digit sack guy, has an injury history and is really a 1 trick pony but still, the reports were drool worthy and this definitely takes some wind out of the sail. 

Agreed.  I like Lawson and was excited to see him, but this doesn't give the D carte blanche to suck.  Speed/motor guys always look better in shells anyway.  I'm not busting on anybody for being down about it.  They will have to make adjustments, but I don't see it as the end of all good things for the D.

A letdown, but not a big surprise.  I had zero expectation of Lawson or Cashman staying healthy regardless of how good they look between injuries.

For me, the bigger worry is the offensive line.   Questions with Becton now and AVT nursing a soft tissue injury. 

I don't want a mangled QB. 

EVERYTHING depends on Wilson. 

Losing Carl Lawson stinks I went from talking Jets playoffs and top 3 Defense to feeling down as a Jets fan and within the blink of an eye too. This guy ranks top 3 in QB hits throughout the previous two seasons and Lawson's injury has me feeling like C.J Mosley Buffalo week 1 all over again.  

What I'm really down about is all 3 of Quinnen Williams, C.J. Mosley and our younger CBs because losing Carl Lawson hurts all 3 and I can't seem to shake this feeling off :-(

What I'm most disappointed about is now QBs won't struggle 24/7 because we'll have 0 pressure from the edge this stinks. 

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I can appreciate opposing fans here.  Hell I do it on other team boards.

But this one just seems like a troll.

A troll? I'm apparently more optimistic about the Jets than most Jets fans on here. I was here telling people to calm down when Zach Wilson was throwing training camp interceptions. Your fanbase is trolling itself. Be realistic with where you are as a team. You have a rookie QB that needs at least one year of seasoning and a rebuilding roster. So the one strength of your team got weaker. Oh well. Enjoy watching Wilson develop if he does. That's what your sesson is about.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

7. NEW YORK JETS

Ruh roh

4 hours ago, BillsFanBurner said:

Why are you guys so broken up about this? Lawson is a good pass rusher but he's not a game wrecker. And it's not like you were going to be legit contenders this year. All you guys should worry about this season is that Zach Wilson and Robert Saleh show growth. You are 2 years away from being Super Bowl contenders if everything goes right.

GTFO.  Why are you here other than to troll?  Go back to your board and count your Lombardi trophies.  Oops. That didn't take long.  

Carl Lawson's loss is a helluva blow and I admit to feeling pretty deflated when I heard the news yesterday, BUT...2021 is all about Zach Wilson and his development. I'm far more interested in the recovery and progress of AVT and Elijah Moore and getting Becton back to  being that dominant blindside protector. Those are 3 players that will be vital to Zach's development.