Carl Lawson OUT FOR SEASON

Rhg1084

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is a big deal, but it's one ******* guy.  He is an NFL starter.  Frankly I was surprised he was doing so well.  It sucks, but it happens.  

One of our three best defensive players - Maybe the best. The only one who's a consistent pass rushing threat.

No one is saying it gives them an excuse to suck but it's a huge blow. In the modern NFL defence is all about getting to the QB and we just lost our best guy - There's no one else even in his league in terms of QB pressures. Sack numbers are garbage - Mahomes only took three sacks in the superbowl but he was running for his life all day. 

It does suck, it does happen but it also justifies being heartbroken over. This defence will not be the same. Also just devastated for the guy himself, he seemed to be putting in all the work to elevate his game even further. At least he got paid.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

It’s a team. It can never hinge around one player. It does suck about Lawson, big time, but we go forward from here, and unexpected heroes will arise! 

Ha. Hopefully the hero we need rather than the hero we deserve.

The Dark Knight Batman GIF

• Haha 3

Let's be honest among ourselves. Something like this is what we all have been expecting to happen after hearing about his monster camp and preseason.  We've been waiting for a pass rusher since the depature of John Abraham so this was the perfect  prediction for such a cursed franchise. 

On 8/19/2021 at 4:13 PM, artemusclyde said:

Well it's a rebuilding year anyway. Time to get excited about the 2022 draft class sigh.

What year isn't a rebuilding year for this team? I guess your only purpose of being a Jets' fan is to always be excited for the next draft class. What a way to waste your life away.

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:45 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That is just not true.  There were seasons when the Jets were clear playoff contenders and more since 69 - 82-86, 97-06, 08, 09-11. 

Rhetorical question: How did all those seasons end?

Obvious answer: Disastrous.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

I don’t want to talk with a tinfoil hat on, but maybe after seeing how well Wilson played yesterday they think we can possibly make some noise with a potential wildcard push. 

if we make a big splash, I think that would be an indication of that. Either way, props for them not just watching the season slip by and not doing anything about it. 

hope it’s something good

On 8/19/2021 at 4:50 PM, Scoop24 said:

Saleh has been in these situations before and still had very productive  defenses. So ima believe in him.. sucks losing lawson though had really high hopes for the kid. Hope he comes back stronger next year. He is pretty much in  the beginning of his prime . So he should recover fine.

You mean like the time SF had a lot of injuries on defense and didn't make the playoffs in spite of being in the Super Bowl the previous season? Ok, you're right. He will recover just fine.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who could be available. 

Guys who would really make a difference?

Chandler Jones, but that would seem very short sighted.

I’d rather just go with what we have and save our resources for next year when we can go all out and hopefully have Lawson return.

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I don’t want to talk with a tinfoil hat on, but maybe after seeing how well Wilson played yesterday they think we can possibly make some noise with a potential wildcard push. 

if we make a big splash, I think that would be an indication of that. Either way, props for them not just watching the season slip by and not doing anything about it. 

hope it’s something good

He'll get an early season ending injury before this happens. I know it. You know it. We all know it.

16 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

hope it’s something good

I think it is more liely that after seeing how the defense played yesterday, they are looking to upgrade the pass rush to help protect the young secondary and reduce the pressure on some of the rookie/2nd year guys that we are hoping to develop.

I also wonder what this might say about the health of a guy like Vinny Curry.  We have been hearing he would be back for week 2, maybe it is looking like he may be out a bit longer.

18 hours ago, STLuLu said:

You mean like the time SF had a lot of injuries on defense and didn't make the playoffs in spite of being in the Super Bowl the previous season? Ok, you're right. He will recover just fine.

I mean he had all those injuries snd still Had SF ranked in the Top 10 defensively 

On 8/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, BurnleyJet said:

He’s out for more than 2021, power athletes like Lawson just aren’t the same  again. We will be drafting an edge with one of our two 2022 picks.

One study in 2017 looked at Achille tears in the NFL between 2010 and 2015. The study found that:

78 Achilles tendon ruptures were identified in professional football players during the 2010-2015 NFL seasons. 58% of these injuries occurred during the preseason. Of those that suffered an Achilles tendon rupture, 26% did not ever return to play in the NFL. Players who did return to play in the NFL took an average of 9 months to recover after the date of injury. Across all positions, there was a net decrease in power ratings by 22% and a net decrease in approximate value by 23% over 3 years following player return after Achilles tendon rupture. Across all positions, running backs saw the biggest decrease in production with a 78% decrease over 3 years post-injury in both power ratings and approximate value.

The prognosis is grim.

Yep. He already wasn't the same guy after tearing his Achilles the last time.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:20 AM, jgb said:

Didn’t expect to be so quickly vindicated saying we shouldn’t put any hopes in an oft-injured player who his prior team let walk and never did anything without Geno Atkins soaking up attention.

This blows.

What up Darksider? Haven't seen any posts from you in a while.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:42 AM, Irish Jet said:

One of our three best defensive players - Maybe the best. The only one who's a consistent pass rushing threat.

No one is saying it gives them an excuse to suck but it's a huge blow. In the modern NFL defence is all about getting to the QB and we just lost our best guy - There's no one else even in his league in terms of QB pressures. Sack numbers are garbage - Mahomes only took three sacks in the superbowl but he was running for his life all day. 

It does suck, it does happen but it also justifies being heartbroken over. This defence will not be the same. Also just devastated for the guy himself, he seemed to be putting in all the work to elevate his game even further. At least he got paid.

Plus he was one of the few FAs who was thrilled to be here.  Embraced being a Jet and was working his ass off in practice.  Seems like so many FAs who got paid stop working.  He actually wanted to be great.  You need and love guys like that.  Easy to root for. 

• Upvote 1