Do we start rooting for the tank right off the bat in week 1?

Rhg1084

Just now, Irish Jet said:

While this thread is nonsense I think people bringing up the sack total are also missing the point.

Any further analysis of Lawson shows that he’s an outstanding pass rusher who’s steadily improved since entering the league. The camp reports seemed to indicate he could be about to take his game to another level and become that premiere pass rusher. Now we’ll never know.

It’s not just that we lost him, it affects the whole line and front 7, which he was probably the most integral part of. The tanking talk is ridiculous but this really, really hurts the team.

It affects the whole defense. The thought of having a young, inexperienced secondary was based on the fact the d line was supposed to be dominant. Now it looks average at best with Q as the only standout. We could be getting torched on a weekly basis 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Dreadful thread. But, this will actually happen before midseason (Jet fans rooting for losses so we can get a higher draft pick). 

Yeah I mean I started this as a joke but in reality we could be in for another long season 

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You seriously think anyone here will find that funny? Its just the worst type of trolling

Well you obviously don’t know Jets fans if you’re not familiar with tanking talk or rooting for losses. Usually begins around week 7 or 8

I assume this thread was started as a joke.  We have a young team that needs to learn how to win.  Our defense took a hit today, but we still need this young core to learn how to win games.  And hopefully Zach can do enough this season to make us feel like we finally have our QB.  I would love to make the playoffs this year, but 6 or 7 wins and a young improving team picking 12 - 14 is still better than a 4 win season and top 5 pick.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

While this thread is nonsense I think people bringing up the sack total are also missing the point.

Any further analysis of Lawson shows that he’s an outstanding pass rusher who’s steadily improved since entering the league. The camp reports seemed to indicate he could be about to take his game to another level and become that premiere pass rusher. Now we’ll never know.

It’s not just that we lost him, it affects the whole line and front 7, which he was probably the most integral part of. The tanking talk is ridiculous but this really, really hurts the team.

I mean, we heard about Preston Smith feasting on Becton, the same as Lawson has been, and Smith is a good, not great, edgerusher.

I’ve said before that people get way too wrapped up in these camp reports and preseason games. We all continually fall into it every year, without fail. 

It absolutely sucks that we lost Lawson and hell, he may not even end up playing a meaningful down for the Jets over the course of his contract if the Achilles is that bad.

But let’s not act like the dude was due for a guaranteed 14+ sack season and ascend to all-pro status.

Fans are simply so starved for football at this point to where they hang on to everything.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I dont think our schedule is that easy, I was thinking 9-8 would be our ceiling.  Losing Lawson probably costs us 2-3 wins.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I mean, we heard about Preston Smith feasting on Becton, the same as Lawson has been, and Smith is a good, not great, edgerusher.

I’ve said before that people get way too wrapped up in these camp reports and preseason games.

It absolutely sucks that we lost Lawson and hell, he may not even end up playing a meaningful down for the Jets over the course of his contract if the Achilles is that bad.

But let’s not act like the dude was due for a guaranteed 14+ sack season and ascend to all-pro status.

Fans are simply so starved for football at this point to where they hang on to everything.

When was the last time the Jets had a decent pass rusher? That is the point... not how great he was or was going to be... The fact that he was a legit pass rusher that they have not had since JA... That is why it is devastating 

• Thumb Down 1

Why on earth would you root to tank.  We just drafted a QB second overall.  Look even with Lawson we weren’t a playoff team IMO BUT I still think we will win some games.  Offense should be better with all the upgrades.  Now is losing  a bug blow?  Of course but this isn’t a 1-2 win team.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’ve said before that people get way too wrapped up in these camp reports and preseason games. We all continually fall into it every year, without fail. 

Well it’s easy to take this stance now that he literally can’t but no it’s disingenuous to say he only feasted on Becton’s struggles. He got sacks in both days against GB, just read today’s reports prior to him going down.

Just look at his pressure numbers, look at the company he was in. Go look at the reaction of Bengals fans when they heard he wasn’t resigning. The hype over Lawson was based on far more than camp reports. He was a very good player improving every year. It sucks for him that he doesn’t get a chance to prove he could take that next step.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Skeptable said:

When was the last time the Jets had a decent pass rusher? That is the point... not how great he was or was going to be... The fact that he was a legit pass rusher that they have not had since JA... That is why it is devastating 

Lawson is a loss, but the Jets overall DL and their ability to get after the QB should still be improved over last year provided that we don’t get slammed with more injuries.

Between Quinnen, Rankins, JFM, Huff, Curry, Blair, etc the Jets should be able to get after the QB more so than at least the last 5+ years.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Lawson is a loss, but the Jets overall DL and their ability to get after the QB should still be improved over last year provided that we don’t get slammed with more injuries.

Between Quinnen, Rankins, JFM, Huff, Curry, Blair, etc the Jets should be able to get after the QB more so than at least the last 5+ years.

Agreed but sans a legit pass rusher... sure... others can fill in the job... or they can scheme around their personnel but this hurts... I was so excited to see a game changer again on the edge.

• Thumb Down 1