Do you try to trade for a pass rusher if you're Joe D?

AFJF

Far more likely they pick up a body from another team when final cuts come down.  Trading for Chandler Jones right now seems like desperate move for a team that doesn’t have realistic playoff opportunities, so would signing some vet who is still on the street.  Besides, you already have Vinny Curry coming back early in season, how many aging players do you need? 

• Upvote 4

This isnt a team that needs to make a move like that.  The loss hurts, but the team is too young to trade assets right now.

This is where Saleh needs to walk over to Hamilcar Reshad and tell him that he has been given the opportunity of a lifetime and that its time to step up.  Im not sure what this kid can bring to the table as a rookie, but he had 14 sacks as a junior and was a possible second round pick - hes got the ability to be a speed rusher in this defense and it will be interesting to see if he can seize the opportunity (same for Huff).

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

I am pulling for Carl and know he has the drive to make a comeback, but Joe Douglas took a risk with Carl's prior history and unfortunately it did not work out this season.  Up until now,  it was looking like a genius move to acquire him.  Maybe a learning experience for Joe.

Most FA's come with their share of risk , whether it be injury, personality or inflated salary demands which is why their previous teams did not resign them. 

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No.

I stand pat with the team I built.

I most definitely do not trade future draft assets for temporary spot fillers in a year where I simply do not believe we will compete for a Super Bowl.

If we were one "Lawson" away from a serious Title run, then I'd sell the farm to replace that Lawson.

That's not where we are.  Let Saleh coach the young assets he has, and see how he does.

At most, I'd be ok snagging someone else's young-with-upside/practice squadder camp cut on a low-dollar, short-term deal late in the Preseason, should such a body become available.

Agreed.  The one spot where we have a lot of depth, including a mix of vets and young guys is the DL:  Quinnen, Rankins, Huff, Curry, JFM, Foley, Shepherd, Phillips, Hamilcar, Zuniga.  Sucks that we lost our best pass rusher, but thats still a pretty good DL group.  I am excited about Bryce Huff -- really want to see what he does in year 2.  We won't be as good as we would have been without Lawson, but as you said, we are not a playoff team anyway.  Lets see what the other guys can do.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

no way. besides someone will get cut if we need a body.

were not going anywhere this season. never was. no need to trade our future for a player this year.

since the draft i always thought we were a 5 maybe 6 win team. the 2022 draft is our last pick in the top 10. last chance to get a really good stand out player which could make the difference between a SB or just being a team that makes the playoffs but never goes anywhere.

2022 is the year i expect us to take off. .... i hope.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is a 5 win team and they'll be a QB or two that comes out of nowhere to move to the top of the board too.  Jets will have their pick of a top 4 or 5 position player.

Now that this has been accepted you might actually  have some fun watching a young team  who is mediocre but is also growing into themselves.

This year we find out if any of these CBs really can ball, try to gel an oline, see what we have in the WR room, watch a fun group of RBs, and maybe win a few games while being competently competitive  in general. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Trading for Chandler Jones right now seems like desperate move for a team that doesn’t have realistic playoff opportunities, 

It's  also a desperate  move for fans with delusions of grandeur  for the upcoming  season.

I loved the Lawson signing.

That being said losing our most viable  pass rusher will hopefully  cut down on the misplaced exuberant  excitement  preseason and thus the inevitable hyperbolic  crys of woe during the season when things are not all flowers and rainbows.

38 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  The one spot where we have a lot of depth, including a mix of vets and young guys is the DL:  Quinnen, Rankins, Huff, Curry, JFM, Foley, Shepherd, Phillips, Hamilcar, Zuniga.  Sucks that we lost our best pass rusher, but thats still a pretty good DL group.  I am excited about Bryce Huff -- really want to see what he does in year 2.  We won't be as good as we would have been without Lawson, but as you said, we are not a playoff team anyway.  Lets see what the other guys can do.

This is a great opportunity for Hamilcar IMO.   Will be interesting to see how he performs with the added reps. 

• Upvote 2

Saleh had the same thing happen to him last year losing Bosa, ironically against us. He still managed to have a very good defense, so there will be no panic happening. I hope that they give Zuniga and Hamilcar the spot, on a rotational basis, and let them play. Tell them it's their job and just go get the QB. We'll find out one way or another if these guys can play. Have plenty of draft capital to fix the problem in coming years, so we have absolutely nothing to lose. 100% upside, zero downside.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This is a great opportunity for Hamilcar IMO.   Will be interesting to see how he performs with the added reps. 

The guy I am most optimistic about is Huff.  I thnk he can be a 10+ sack guy.  He has been playing aginst 1s and by most accounts has looked good in practice and was solid in the Giant game.  Really hope he steps up in year 2.

• Upvote 3

I think the pressure up the middle will be much more valuable than what an edge rusher can provide. For the edge rusher to not get constant double teams you need that up the middle push. I can't see teams being able to deal with our DT's in one on one situations for very long and we do have good depth across the line. Putting that pressure up the middle will let guys like Huff/Myers and eventually Curry get more one on one situations.

Don't get me wrong Lawson would have created matchup nightmares bringing the question... Who do you double team ? But if a guys like Huff and Myers can take advantage of single coverage I don't think it will be all that bad at all. If an injury was going to happen to any position group on this football team best it happen in the area of the most depth.  

The team will move on and maybe at the mid point of the season we will be talking about all the pressure the Jets front is creating rather than worrying about Carl Lawson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

Chandler Jones wants out of Arizona.  Jets have a ton of cap space, lots of picks and just lost Lawson.

What would you do?

For Chandler Jones?  At 31 coming off injury?  No.  Not him but like JD always says, you take the call.  I wouldnt outright say no to trading for a pass rusher, just has to be the right player and deal.

That said, I think they'd be foolish not to go sign Vernon, Griffin or Beasley...or all 3.  

• WTF? 1

I think this is the time to see what we have with the kids.  JFM is probably not the wide-9 DE type, but I think he can pick up some of those snaps and I want to see what we have in Hamilcar and Huff.  Time for Zuniga to step up and there are always guys physical guys cut that might fit the bill (like when we picked up Basham and Willis). One thing to remember is that they also have Vinny Curry and I think he is supposed to be ready by week 2.  He's not Lawson, but he is probably similar to some of the guys people are talking about.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Far more likely they pick up a body from another team when final cuts come down.  Trading for Chandler Jones right now seems like desperate move for a team that doesn’t have realistic playoff opportunities, so would signing some vet who is still on the street.  Besides, you already have Vinny Curry coming back early in season, how many aging players do you need? 

We can just suck and pick Thibodeaux in the top 3 (probably going to happen anyway). 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

For Chandler Jones?  At 31 coming off injury?  No.  Not him but like JD always says, you take the call.  I wouldnt outright say no to trading for a pass rusher, just has to be the right player and deal.

That said, I think they'd be foolish not to go sign Vernon, Griffin or Beasley...or all 3.  

Chandler Jones? Pfff, who needs him, Jets passed on him for Coples (LMAO). 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Now that this has been accepted you might actually  have some fun watching a young team  who is mediocre but is also growing into themselves.

This year we find out if any of these CBs really can ball, try to gel an oline, see what we have in the WR room, watch a fun group of RBs, and maybe win a few games while being competently competitive  in general. 

I was always on the 5 win team path this year.  I honestly don't think losing Lawson makes a terrible difference for this young team.  The team has a tremendous amount of potential but that potential takes time to flourish.  

I just don't think it matters anymore.  I'm fully bought into the Jets are cursed mentality so it really doesn't matter what they do.  I'll watch because I need to do something while I'm drinking on Sunday but never winning a Super Bowl is now a certainty in my mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

No. We are a developmental team and we already had hard cuts to consider. We can now likely keep both Marshall and Shepherd. Bringing in a vet is first of all, NOT Saleh's style- he says this over and over and over and no lone listens, and second it would cost us a young player and third it does not really impact our ability to contend, that is really all on Zach

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I was always on the 5 win team path this year.  I honestly don't think losing Lawson makes a terrible difference for this young team.  The team has a tremendous amount of potential but that potential takes time to flourish.  

I just don't think it matters anymore.  I'm fully bought into the Jets are cursed mentality so it really doesn't matter what they do.  I'll watch because I need to do something while I'm drinking on Sunday but never winning a Super Bowl is now a certainty in my mind.

Family Guy Cockroach GIF

Soon you will join me in my enjoyment  of this tragic comedy.

• Haha 2