Do you try to trade for a pass rusher if you're Joe D?

AFJF

13 hours ago, Barkus said:

Saleh will make adjustments to compensate. He lost both bosa and armstead to ACL early on last yr (vs the Jets) and he still had a top 5 defense. Maybe he will have to blitz more and/or someone else will step up. Still some guys out there to pick up needed as others have posted, Aldon smith was not mentioned. 

Smith is a trouble magnet.  He also doesn’t fit the 4-3

ets’ Bryce Huff out to ‘prove people wrong’ after Carl Lawson injury

August 21, 2021 10:12am 

Opportunity knocked long and loud for Bryce Huff in the Jets’ second preseason game Saturday in Green Bay following Carl Lawson’s season-ending Achilles tendon rupture, and Colette Huff is certain her son is ready to answer.

“I’m never happy about my children having opportunity at somebody else’s misfortune,” Colette told The Post. “But I’m happy to see Bryce have an opportunity that he [has] looked forward to for so long. I think he would have had this opportunity regardless. I looked forward to seeing him play with Carl Lawson, but I don’t think Bryce is gonna disappoint — I know he’s not gonna disappoint at all. He’s gonna go out there and contribute to his team with every opportunity that he gets.”

Huff made the Jets last season as an undrafted free agent out of Memphis and recorded two sacks in limited action.

“Everybody’s route to the NFL may not be the same,” Colette said, “and some people may be disappointed in the route that they have to take, but if it’s what they want and they continue to work hard for it, it can still happen.”

Huff endured one disappointment after the next on his road to the NFL.

Jets defensive end Bryce Huff adjusts his jersey during practice in Florham Park, New Jersey. Bryce Huff Bill Kostroun/New York Post

“When Bryce came out of high school, his coach said that he was one of the best-kept secrets in Mobile, Ala. — nobody wants to be the best-kept secret,” Colette said, and chuckled. “He just didn’t get a lot of publicity, people didn’t know what he was capable of, or didn’t think that he was able to play at the level of maybe Alabama or Auburn.

“All it takes is time, and Bryce will show people what he’s capable of. I know I’m speaking from a mother’s perspective, but I also see the determination, the discipline, the work ethic, those things take a person very far.

“That’s what’s gonna make him great as an NFL player. I don’t doubt that at all.”

Huff’s childhood NFL dream was fostered by his mother’s mother, Cassie, who is 89.

“My granny always used to talk about Bo Jackson — Bo Jackson and Jerome Bettis were the only guys I knew back then,” Huff told The Post.

“I remember in second, third grade I was sitting at the lunch table talking about it with my teacher, we had to write reports on our favorite athletes and I was talking about Bo Jackson, and how I wanted to play in the NFL one day. And just chase that dream.”

That dream was only temporarily disrupted when he was not tapped to play in the Senior Bowl in his hometown of Mobile. His older brother, Jordan, who played running back at Northern Illinois, previously had been snubbed also. It stung.

“We were looking so forward to him coming and playing in his hometown,” Colette said, “and when he didn’t get an invite to the Senior Bowl, it was just so hurtful.”

There was no combine invite just before COVID arrived. One chip on top of another.

“Prove people wrong, and then prove myself right,” Bryce said.

Jets defensive end Bryce Huff sacks Giants quarterback Mike Glennon during a preseason game at MetLife Stadium. Jets defensive end Bryce Huff sacks Giants quarterback Mike Glennon. Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Huff recorded two sacks against the Giants and was not lacking in confidence.

“In my mind I’m unstoppable,” he said. “Anything I put my mind to I can accomplish. I don’t back down from anybody.”

It is as if he can hear his mother’s voice from long ago.

“She’s the hardest-working woman [Dearborn YMCA CEO since 2011] I know, very independent,” Huff said. “She is a huge reason, if not the main reason, I’m here right now, she spoke all this into existence. Every morning before school she was telling us we can accomplish anything we put our minds to. She’s a huge inspiration.”

Bryce, undersized at 6-foot-1 ¹/₂ and 253 pounds, was a linebacker/defensive end in college.

“I can set the edge with my weight right now,” he said.

Huff has opened head coach Robert Saleh’s eyes.

“I honestly haven’t even thought about my chances, I just focus on attacking every day and just doing the best I can whether it’s meetings, workout, walk-through, I just focus on the moment,” Huff said.

A big moment for him arrived at Lambeau Field.

What do you think? Post a comment.

“I learn a lot from Carl,” Huff said earlier in the week at a table on a Florham Park patio. “He’s always teaching me stuff, whether it’s recovery or pass rush technique, how to turn the edge better, something like that, so I learned a lot from Carl. And I watched a lot of Von Miller, Shaq Barrett, all those guys.”

Afterthought no more.

23 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm all for supporting the defense via a trade if it would help the Jets win a couple more games and push Zach into the playoffs in year 1. 

If the goal is to push Zach into the playoffs, the Jets can always trade him to the Chiefs. 

• Haha 1

Here are two players who can try and fill the void left by Carl Lawson’s season-ending injury

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
AUG 21, 2021 AT 12:45 PM

Gang Green got devastating news Thursday when the Jets announced star defensive end Carl Lawson tore his left Achilles during their joint practice with the Packers.

Lawson’s injury is season-ending and is a gut punch to a unit that was loaded with talent, but in need of the former Auburn star’s leadership.

A group featuring Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, Folorunso Fatukasi, John Franklin-Myers, Nathan Shepherd, Bryce Huff and Lawson was going to wreck offensive lines.

The group is still good without Lawson, but they had Top 10 potential with the former Bengal as the centerpiece.

Sponsored Content by

Carl Lawson was the centerpiece of the Jets' offseason moves, but is now out for the season after his Achilles injury.
Carl Lawson was the centerpiece of the Jets' offseason moves, but is now out for the season after his Achilles injury. (AP)

The injury may be disappointing, but Lawson is ready to attack his recovery process.

“For those who truly know me know that this is like a flesh wound to me,” Lawson wrote on Instagram. “Gods with me, I control what I can control so I’m always back better. Loved ones, friends and fans please keep your chins up so I can raise mines higher.”

Through training camp, Lawson was the Jets best player so his loss will have a noticeable effect on Robert Saleh’s team.

But focusing on the player, this isn’t a death sentence for Lawson’s career. He’s only 26. He can recover from this injury and still be a dominant force in this league. He can look to former Miami Dolphins defensive end Cam Wake for inspiration.

Wake tore his Achilles midway during the 2015 season when he was 33. He came back a year later and had 11.5 sacks for the Dolphins and earned Pro Bowl honors. He added 10.5 sacks in 2017 at 35.

Lawson — who the Jets signed to a three-year, $45 million deal in March after four seasons with the Bengals — is still young and can overcome this adversity.

Now transitioning to who on the Jets can replace his production because it’s not all doom and gloom for Gang Green. The clubs defensive line is the deepest unit on the roster.

Two players who can fill the void are Huff and Franklin-Myers. Both have had good camps, and Huff had two sacks in the preseason opener against the Giants.

The Jets will rely on Bryce Huff to help fill the void from Carl Lawson's injury.
The Jets will rely on Bryce Huff to help fill the void from Carl Lawson's injury. (Adam Hunger/AP)

Huff was already carving out a role for himself, but with Lawson being out for the season he’ll have an even bigger role. Saleh raved about the second year defensive end out of Memphis after the first preseason game.

“He’s done a really good job getting himself ready to have a great training camp and he’s been having it and it’s a credit to him,” Saleh said about Huff’s performance through camp. “At first, we’re like, man, ‘How are we gonna hide this guy in the preseason, he’s gonna end up with 10 sacks?’ Then it got to the point where we’re like, ‘How are we gonna keep him off the first team.’ It’s a credit to him and the opportunity that he created for himself.”

And Franklin-Myers isn’t a slouch either. Pro Football Focus rated the third-year defensive end 35th with a 71.5 grade last season. He also was 24th in the NFL in pressures with 51.

Both aren’t as good as Lawson, but they’ll be able to fill three-quarters of the void.