Is Former Third-Round Pick in Jeopardy of Losing Roster Spot? Jets Need to see Something From Zuniga Soon

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Stop with the excuses.  He was terrible last season even when lined up as a DE with a 4-man 

Am I saying he'll replace Carl Lawson? No. Because I feel and believe Carl Lawson is not replaceable.  

But it's kind of hard for me to quit on Jabari Zuniga when he only had an opportunity to play only 9% of our Defensive snaps last year (and 8% was out of position too) . 

Patrick Mahomes threw 0 TDs and 1 INT during his Rookie campaign and did not look good as he recorded only 6% of KCs Offensive Snaps but yet his Rookie season with 6% of film never turned him into a bust.  

I'll stop with the excuses once we stop writing off the careers of talented youth before heading into their 2nd season. 

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Am I saying he'll replace Carl Lawson? No. Because I feel and believe Carl Lawson is not replaceable.  

But it's kind of hard for me to quit on Jabari Zuniga when he only had an opportunity to play only 9% of our Defensive snaps last year (and 8% was out of position too) . 

Patrick Mahomes threw 0 TDs and 1 INT during his Rookie campaign and did not look good as he recorded only 6% of KCs Offensive Snaps but yet his Rookie season with 6% of film never turned him into a bust.  

I'll stop with the excuses once we stop writing off the careers of talented youth before heading into their 2nd season. 

Zuniga/Mahomes comparisons hahahahahahaahahahahahaahahaahahahaha

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Zuniga/Mahomes comparisons hahahahahahaahahahahahaahahaahahahaha

Not a comparison just pointing out how Mahomes played 6% of snaps as a rookie (0 TDs/1 INT) and Zuniga played only 9% of snaps as a Rookie in order to make a point that I'll never quit on a prospect before heading into year #2. 

Screenshot_20210820-133012_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bc2b7c4349a0aaa21c1066697ee905f1.jpg

Thankfully Florida Gators fans didn't quit on him after his redshirt Freshman season or else the kid never goes 3rd round to begin with is all I'm trying to say.

I really liked the Zuniga pick in the draft so I guess 

I can't slam JD to much.

Fact is the kid has shown nothing.  I wish there were a few plays to point to to say "give the guy a chance, he's got talent"  There's  just nothing.

With Lawson going down,  IMO this is Zuniga's big chance, and last shot.  If he shows zilch again, he's got to go and make room for someone who might develop.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I wouldn't trust him to replace Carl Spackler.

7 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

Because we want to have a little fun and be optimistic before the season starts, not be mired in dour cynicism and downer vibes. We have the season to get depressed if/when things go south. Can we enjoy ourselves a little? WTF

Being optimistic or hopeful is one thing. People crowing about how Joe Douglas is a genius and attacking anyone who disagrees is something else when the man has accomplished nothing. 

I'm tired of the cycle of GM gets fired, new GM comes in and cuts last GMs players and dismantles the team and then fans holler about how we finally have a real GM who wont put up with underachievers and is finally cutting the dead weight. Only to watch the new GM draft bad players and sign bad free agents and hang on to them too long because he drafted them or signed them. And then he gets fired and the cycle continues.

Let a Douglas drafted player make a pro bowl or have the team have a winning season before beating your chests about how great he is.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

I really liked the Zuniga pick in the draft so I guess 

I can't slam JD to much.

Fact is the kid has shown nothing.  I wish there were a few plays to point to to say "give the guy a chance, he's got talent"  There's  just nothing.

With Lawson going down,  IMO this is Zuniga's big chance, and last shot.  If he shows zilch again, he's got to go and make room for someone who might develop.

Usually you see flashes with guys who pan out.  There’s just no explosion with him and it’s confusing given his testing.

• Upvote 1

I have seen written that JD’s 2020 draft was right out of the Guide for many of the picks, and obviously the coaches were not helping.  Without coach input, they picked high RAS types, except where it appears Gase wanted a player, like Perine and Morgan.  The 2021 draft looked much more thoughtful and purposeful.  

Both the 2019 and 2020 talent pools were not great, and without good coach support they were futeless.  Mac did take Edofga and Polite in the 3rd round of 2019.  Ugh.