New regime, young team, lots of early adversity...

WowOhWow

For a new regime with a young team we have had to deal with a lot of adversity already (Knapp, Lawson - not in the same class but very tough emotionally) and we're not even out of pre-season.

This is a huge test for JD, Salah, senior team leaders.  We are going to find out what we're made of with how we react to all of this.

Hopefully this will pull this team together and they will rise.

And not to be lost in all of this headline news is we really may have a player in Zach.  

There is a lot going on with this team.  Lots tough to stomach...lots to be excited about.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Losing a Coach most of the players didn't really know yet, and losing a single player for the year who was also brand new to the team, albeit an expected key contributor, I wouldn't call that "adversity" the way you seem to think it is.

Not sure what you mean here but this is a sport we are talking about.  A game.  Don’t know what else would qualify as “adversity” in this setting.

45E06195-0C93-4B37-9DE1-008BD74E7B4F.jpeg

• Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Losing a Coach most of the players didn't really know yet, and losing a single player for the year who was also brand new to the team, albeit an expected key contributor, I wouldn't call that "adversity" the way you seem to think it is.

As Jet fans we call that Thursday. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Not sure what you mean here but this is a sport we are talking about.  A game.  Don’t know what else would qualify as “adversity” in this setting.

I'm well aware of the definition of the word.  

Adversity, in this setting, IMO, would be losing a long-time established Coach the players had played under for years and whose system and play-calling was vital to historical success.  As horribly tragic as Coach Knapp's passing was, he was brand new to the team, isn't the play-caller, and was not (yet) a vital cog in the overall offensive system or scheme.

Adversity, in this setting, would be losing Wilson at QB, Davis at WR and say Moore at WR (for example) for the season early on.  Not Lawson alone, who was also brand new, when we have plenty of DE's behind him and his avg. annual production prior to joining us is 3.8 sacks/year the past three years.

Now to be clear, both these events are unfortunately, the Coach's passing especially is very sad to boot, but neither are adversity as I'd define it for the team as a whole to overcome.  We have an entire staff of Coach's who will fill in for the tragic loss of Coach Knapp, and Lawson, although planned to be quite important, is still only one cog in the defense, not the key player in the defense (that's Mosely).

In no way am I trying to minimize these two events, but they are not and should not be back breaking to the success of the team as a whole in 2021, and they don't seem to meet the "continued" aspect of the definition.  Both events, in fact, are "freak accidents", more or less.

If we want to call it adversity, have at it.  JMO is all.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Sure - it's a game to us, but it's the workplace to them. Would the sudden death of a team leader, and the unexpected long term absence of a new talented employee in a key role not be stressful in your workplace? It would in mine.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm well aware of the definition of the word.  

Adversity, in this setting, IMO, would be losing a long-time established Coach the players had played under for years and whose system and play-calling was vital to historical success.  As horribly tragic as Coach Knapp's passing was, he was brand new to the team, isn't the play-caller, and was not (yet) a vital cog in the overall offensive system or scheme.

Adversity, in this setting, would be losing Wilson at QB, Davis at WR and say Moore at WR (for example) for the season early on.  Not Lawson alone, who was also brand new, when we have plenty of DE's behind him and his avg. annual production prior to joining us is 3.8 sacks/year the past three years.

Now to be clear, both these events are unfortunately, the Coach's passing especially is very sad to boot, but neither are adversity as I'd define it for the team as a whole to overcome.  We have an entire staff of Coach's who will fill in for the tragic loss of Coach Knapp, and Lawson, although planned to be quite important, is still only one cog in the defense, not the key player in the defense (that's Mosely).

In no way am I trying to minimize these two events, but they are not and should not be back breaking to the success of the team as a whole in 2021, and they don't seem to meet the "continued" aspect of the definition.  Both events, in fact, are "freak accidents", more or less.

If we want to call it adversity, have at it.  JMO is all.

Any time your Rookie QB loses his first ever NFL QB coach (due to death) it's an adversity. 

This man was one of the greatest NFL QB Coaches and Quarterback minds of All-Time and he'll be missed. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

we have plenty of DE's behind him and his avg. annual production prior to joining us is 3.8 sacks/year the past three years.

I think its really really scary that a guy who has been doing that is destroying Becton on such a regular basis. That may end up being the 2021 jets' biggest adversity. 

• Upvote 1

There is simply no way to rationalize the tragic death of a coach and a torn Achilles for your most exciting player in camp who was your “prize FA” as anything else but adversity. To downplay those hits to the team would just be naive. Jet teams in the past have crumbled under way less adversity, so seeing the team come together and still put everything on the field would be a true testament to what our future will look like under this new regime.

Also would like to take another moment to say RIP Coach Knapp, he was excited to coach up our rookie QB and finally get our offense in the right direction and is such a huge loss. If I was a player especially in that QB room or on the coaching staff, idc how well I knew the guy his loss would be felt.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, freestater said:

I think its really really scary that a guy who has been doing that is destroying Becton on such a regular basis. That may end up being the 2021 jets' biggest adversity. 

Carl Lawson ranks top 3 amongst all NFL players in QB hits throughout the previous two seasons.  

Screenshot_20210820-162626_Chrome.thumb.jpg.da74c648d4912a3d500101e07f70ae1b.jpg

75 QB hits throughout 2017, 2019 and 2020 combined? That's nuts. 

Trust me when I say that coach Saleh has already made it known that Carl Lawson is one of the very best in regards to getting after QBs while also disrupting them on drop backs. 

Mekhi Becton hasn't been practicing against no slouch and if you only go by "sacks" that means even the greatest pass rushers of All-Time make less than 20 impact plays per season... which couldn't be further from the truth.

(because pass rushing ability goes way beyond box score sack numbers).

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Any time your Rookie QB loses his first ever NFL QB coach (due to death) it's an adversity. 

Zach had barely met the man.  Their time together was very brief.    

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

This man was one of the greatest NFL QB Coaches and Quarterback minds of All-Time and he'll be missed. 

Without disrespecting the dead, this feels like your usual hyperbole.

I am sure he will indeed be missed.

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Zach had barely met the man.  Their time together was very brief.    

Without disrespecting the dead, this feels like your usual hyperbole.

I am sure he will indeed be missed.

DWT was the one who said the Acai berry can cure cancer and reverse make pattern baldness.