2017 Study: Impact of Achilles injury on NFL career

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

Came across this on a Rams site in the context of Cam Akers achilles tear.  From 2017 Study for American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2473011417S000314

Interesting that more than half achilles injuries have occurred during pre-season.  Not sure how they define "power rating" but my probably incredibly oversimplified take is that Lawson should be able to return for 2022,  but the injury is likely to impact his production.

I saw that one.  Most of what I have read said that the effects are worst for RB and LB.  Not sure if Lawson is more LB or DE for these purposes.  The good thing is that the 22% decrease in effectiveness includes the 78% reduction for RB.  This is also dealing with injuries that are from 6 years ago, so hopefully things keep getting better.

The fact that 58% occur during the preseason really stands out.  Is it a function of trying to do too much after the end of the previous season?   I know guys work out all year now.   But maybe the intensity of camp really strains the Achilles?

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw that one.  Most of what I have read said that the effects are worst for RB and LB.  Not sure if Lawson is more LB or DE for these purposes.  The good thing is that the 22% decrease in effectiveness includes the 78% reduction for RB.  This is also dealing with injuries that are from 6 years ago, so hopefully things keep getting better.

I think the takeaway is that at age 26, it is not likely a career ender, as I have seen several folks speculate.  No guarantees, but it appears reasonable to expect him to be back in 2022, but not necessarily playing at pre-injury level. 

Seems like a hard worker who will put a lot of effort into his recovery/rehab.  Maybe he comes back close to 100%.

• Upvote 2

He's lost this year completely.

He's likely to never be the same, and never get back that burst.

Sadly, looking like yet another "Big FA" pickup that will never be worth anything close to what we paid for.  A painful trend for the Jets.

Tough break for us, no doubt.

• Upvote 4

Well it doesn't look good for Lawson but thankfully we've got two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks in order for Joe Douglass to draft our next 4-3 beast pass rusher in order to line up alongside of Quinnen Williams @ DT and for many of years to come too.

Before yesterday I was all for C/TE 1st round but now I want DE first and foremost.  

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

Came across this on a Rams site in the context of Cam Akers achilles tear.  From 2017 Study for American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society.

Interesting that more than half achilles injuries have occurred during pre-season.  Not sure how they define "power rating" but my probably incredibly oversimplified take is that Lawson should be able to return for 2022,  but the injury is likely to impact his production.

I would imagine the 26% who never return includes many rookies, both drafted and undrafted who never really had a chance in the first place.  This is exacerbated by having so many in pre season.  I'd like a more well defined sample group of 2+ year starters who get this injury.  One would think there would be a higher return rate among that group.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I would imagine the 26% who never return includes many rookies, both drafted and undrafted who never really had a chance in the first place.  This is exacerbated by having so many in pre season.  I'd like a more well defined sample group of 2+ year starters who get this injury.  One would think there would be a higher return rate among that group.

A friend of ours hosted someone from Stanford who was an UDFA with the 49ers.  He tore his achilles.  His agent said it was the best thing that could have happened professionally, because he was going to get cut, and instead he got to collect a year's worth of salary.

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Lith said:

I've often speculated (no evidence of course) that it's not the pre-season that's the important part, but rather the first action they're getting.  IOW, skipping the pre-season would just push these injuries into the beginning of the year.  (See Testeverde, V.)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, Lith said:

were done befor 21 got started we just gotta hop that the D playes good 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

He's lost this year completely.

He's likely to never be the same, and never get back that burst.

Sadly, looking like yet another "Big FA" pickup that will never be worth anything close to what we paid for.  A painful trend for the Jets.

Tough break for us, no doubt.

Are they going to cut off his other leg or is the one with the injury the only one he uses?

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Origen said:

Are they going to cut off his other leg or is the one with the injury the only one he uses?

I'm quite sure NFL Defense ends use both legs regularly.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Kevin Durant is proof that it can work out. I think impatience leads to a lot of issues for Achilles injuries. Aggressive rehab along with thoughtful load management with regards to snap counts etc might be key here. That said with that kind of injury it is smart to temper expectations and be surprised if it works out. Football is inherently a more violent sport than basketball. 

• Upvote 2

22% decrease in power if he ever plays again 

put him out of your minds people. 

he’s already had 2 ACLs on top of it. 

Great knowing you dude 

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm quite sure NFL Defense ends use both legs regularly.

There's 50% of his burst undamaged.  Everything he does now gets his injured leg back as close to matching the 50% and being 100.  Will it happen?  Who knows, but I'm sure as hell not going to write him off as a lost cause who is now an anchor on he team.

1 minute ago, Origen said:

There's 50% of his burst undamaged.  Everything he does now gets his injured leg back as close to matching the 50% and being 100.  Will it happen?  Who knows, but I'm sure as hell not going to write him off as a lost cause who is now an anchor on he team.

You're free to do as you like, of course.

I only hope JD isn't the optimism many of you are, and makes appropriate future contingency plans for our pass rush, as needed.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Carrying 90 in the pre-season should see more injuries of every kind as the number dropped to 60 during the time of the study (53 active and 7 practice squad.  Add 30 guys to any job and more injuries will occur.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Carrying 90 in the pre-season should see more injuries of every kind as the number dropped to 60 during the time of the study (53 active and 7 practice squad.  Add 30 guys to any job and more injuries will occur.

I hear ya, but on the other hand, pre-season lasts 6 weeks.  Which is being compared to a regular season that is 17 weeks.  More than that for some teams (but we wouldn't know much about that).

15 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Kevin Durant is proof that it can work out. I think impatience leads to a lot of issues for Achilles injuries. Aggressive rehab along with thoughtful load management with regards to snap counts etc might be key here. That said with that kind of injury it is smart to temper expectations and be surprised if it works out. Football is inherently a more violent sport than basketball. 

We are Jet fans.  If the last half century has not taught us to temper expectations, I don't know what will.  Hope for the best, but don't expect it.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And those 30 guys never had much of a chance of making the team. So of course the return % from the injury is really low. Most of them would not have returned even in perfect health

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lith said:

I'm going to guess that they didn't control for the skill level of the players or the age of the players at the time of injury. The odds that a 12-year veteran who ruptures his Achilles comes back to ever play again, or that an undrafted free agent holding onto a back-end roster spot comes back to play again, are going to be different than the odds that a highly paid player in the prime of their career plays again, even if the injury is identical.

• Upvote 3

I think they have 45 million rea$on$ and (hopefully) the best medical staff in the league to repair him.  I guess at least we got to see 1 quarter from CJ before he shut down for 2 years...  Time passes, here we are and there we will be eventually

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Lith said:

I’d like to see the statistics for players that were considered average or better. I’m sure a good portion of these players in this article were either bubble players and / or older vets.  You’d have to assume an UDFA that sustained this injury had little chance of making a team prior to the injury so sustaining the injury pretty much just lead to something that was likely to happen anyways. I’m curious to see, if this study was narrowed down to players who were between average and elite that sustained this injury in their prime years... how they played after they came back. 

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Sounds funny but I would not be surprised if treatment has advanced in four years.  Orthopedic surgeries and treatment evolve very rapidly.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Lith said:

Thank you sunshine.