The meaning behind your JN usernames.

Godfather's kid nickname based in an Irish last name and painted in his flexible flyer sled that hung in the garage from the 1950s .... its unique ... never seen the name used before ... so yeah that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

My handle history.  I had been reading the Jets thread on the message boards kept by the NY Times way back when.  I decided to register so I could join the fray.  I choose my name and clicked "register".  Denied = teken.  I tried adding a 1.  Denied = taken.  I tried a 2.  Denied = taken.  I kept this up for some time.  Finally annoyed by the endless FU from the computer, I tried "clayton163v" and said "TAKE THAT you %$@*&@ machine".  And a handle was born.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I just made it up one day when I needed to name these weird puppet things in middle school, lmfao.  I made it my gamertag on Xbox and username on every platform.

No fancy backstory.

I always hoped you were secretly a gorgeous lesbian couple posting here for laughs.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I grew up in NY.  1968, my dad took me to my first game at Shea Stadium.  Jets beat the Chargers 23-20, and a couple of months later they were Champs and I was hooked.  It was always going to be like that, right.  Moved out to Chicago 20 years ago, but I already had received my life sentence from the Jets.  They chose me, not the other way around.  Lith is a reference to the suburb of Chicago I live in.  I hate the name, but its been mine for so long that I live with it.

My son, on the other hand, is one of those Jet fans who wasn't raised in NY.  Lived in NY until he was 8, but was raised in IL and now lives in Iowa.  He is a Jet fan thanks to me.  DIdn't have it so bad at first.  My first memory of becoming a fan was 68, his was 98.  98 - 2010 were pretty good for a Jet fan.  But in the last 11 years, he has learned what it really is to root for this team.  He is their's for lilfe now too.  And now it is up to us to pass it on to his son, who is almost 1 year old. 

Miserable fall Sunday's - a Lith family tradition spanning 3 generations.

See now that’s what I’m talking about. It was passed down, father to son. That’s a decent explanation. I tried to influence my daughter with Jets fandom. She wasn’t having any part of that. She snickered, shook her head and waved me off with her hand. “Uh NO, you’ll be getting me a 49’ers satin jacket for my birthday”. But still no explanation for the individual who has no ties to NY or familial connection.  Schizophrenia? Severe personality disorder? inferiority complex? I’m gonna be a fan of this crummy ass team because I identify with their plight. Weird.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I was working an Event Detail at an Art Show in Downtown West Palm, and Namath was sponsoring a booth for Jupiter Hosptal, I ran into him and he couldn't have been a cooler guy. For real. Walked up to me and said, 'If anything happens, I'm on this guy's side!" and hugged me. ?  We talked for a few minutes. Super nice, gracious and funny guy. I've been in Combat and in some ripping fires, but I was more nervous talking to him than in any other situation I can remember. Thus the crazy look on my face. ? 

Great day.

Great story.  Back in the 80s, I had a couple of friends who had met Joe in a park.  Can't remember where.  Like you, said he was just a cool regular guy.   He even threw the football around with them for a minute or two.  Never forget that they said you could not believe how even as an "older guy" the ball stung when they caught it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Great story.  Back in the 80s, I had a couple of friends who had met Joe in a park.  Can't remember where.  Like you, said he was just a cool regular guy.   He even threw the football around with them for a minute or two.  Never forget that they said you could not believe how even as an "older guy" the ball stung when they caught it.  

He and a buddy of his recently opened a waterfront restaurant in Jupiter, Charlie and Joes by the inlet. Keep meaning to get down there. Maybe next weekend. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Throughout the 1990's during Football seasons on Saturdays as a pregame ritual for Sundays games my Grandfather would dust off old VCR games that he had recorded throughout the entire 60's and every season my Grandpa would watch those games with both me and my older brother. 

At 13 years old during our 1998-1999 season (my favorite Football year of All-Time) it finally happened we had finally made it to his favorite 1968-1969 Championship season and that's when I fell in love with his throwback players on Defense Gerry Philbin, Paul Rochester, John Elliott, Verlon Biggs, Johnny Sample, Ralph Baker, Randy Beverly, Jim Hudson, Cornell Gordon and Al Atkinson but Larry Grantham was his favorite player of All-Time and throughout our 1968-1969 season during our 1998-1999 run he always preached to both me and my older brother that 'DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS'. 

Thinking back my favorite game was beating the powerhouse Oakland Raiders in Queens @ Shea Stadium during the AFC (AFL) Championship Game who had beat us earlier in the season imo that game was more intense than our SB win over Baltimore and he was right all along because against Johnny Unitas our legendary Jets Defense held his Colts to only 7 points).

iavjwzbckzyf2akj6m6p.thumb.jpg.0af4fb9e82875902424a3e5766f3d75f.jpg

And that's how I came up with the username of DWC in loving memory of my Football hero who introduced me to the game of Football happy birthday pops

??? 8-21-1937 ???

(Carl Lawson's injury has been stressful on our entire fan base so i wanted to create a lighthearted topic of discussion in order to learn more about the meaning behind all of our usernames).

Gerry Philbin is my favorite all-time jet ----- My username is for the architect of the SB champion Jets and the first person involved in professional football that truly understood the business of football and just how badly the TV networks were screwing the leagues in their TV deals. In his words to his new fellow owners, "they pay more for the set on the Dean Martin show". The TV deal was so laughably one sided that once Werblin confronted the TV execs on it they opened the contract and renegotiated providing AFL ownership with the money to outbid the NFL for players.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I've never been a "name yourself after a player" kinda guy.

I am a student of War and Politics, and I'm sorta aggressive in debate.  I like to Fish.  Sounded cool when put together, and I needed a name for online use because screw giving out your real name in any way.

Not really any deeper meanings.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

As a kid I always thought those Jets games of his were recorded live but since not by the 1990's he had plenty of time to gain access I just remember throughout my childhood watching those throwback games on Saturdays with him a football tradition of his and that's how I came up with DWC as he always preached Defense Wins Championships we all give Joe Namath all the credit in the world and rightfully so but holding Johnny Unitas to only 7 points is what really won us our Championship. 

9 hours ago, DeeJet said:

I’m a Melbourne demon fan (Australian rules football ). We are known as the Dees for short. So I mixed the names of my two favourite sports teams DeeJet. 

I've always asked myself what would happen if the NFL sent our our strongest, toughest,  biggest and fastest players into a Rugby game, how would we do?

And would Barry Sanders have been magical on the Rugby field or gotten killed?