Fields Blownup Hard

Warfish

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

He is a tough kid, what he did last season, and the pain he played through, very impressive.

I didn't see this hit but I hope he is okay.

Think of a triple decker cheeseburger smothered with french fries, onions, pickles, bacon and mushrooms sitting in front of @The Crusher

That would give you a good idea of the hit Fields took.

td.jpg

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Good breakdown on what went wrong on the play by Tim Jenkins.  Basically, Justin didn’t set the right protection.  This was a huge problem with Sam last year, particularly when it came to blitzes up the A gap, and I remember pointing it out:

It was still a totally unnecessary helmet to helmet hit.  Either way, after rewatching some of the game, I take back what I said “how can you justify starting Dalton?”  Fields should probably sit.  That o-line isn’t good and having a rookie QB who needs to learn how to read that pre-snap and adjust the protections properly isn’t going to help.

FWIW, since I know all these victory laps and "this poster said blah blah blah" is projected at me.  I watched the snaps and listened to Fields and the coaches and this is where these guys, while I appreciate their efforts are just making assumptions and they dont know the calls.  Fields had the 5-0 protection and recognized the blitz.  He called an audible.  He said they didnt push out to him (meaning, someone missed their assignment, looks like the RT) and the mistake he made was, he needed to throw a hot route at the blitz, instead of the opposite side double move.  So the protection was supposed to be there and an assignment was missed and basically he said, he shouldnt have had the audible on the opposite side of the blitz. 

fwiw, they sent an extra defender 6 times in that game, 5 of the 6 went for a 1st down, including that play.  lol

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

FWIW, since I know all these victory laps and "this poster said blah blah blah" is projected at me.  I watched the snaps and listened to Fields and the coaches and this is where these guys, while I appreciate their efforts are just making assumptions and they dont know the calls.  Fields had the 5-0 protection and recognized the blitz.  He called an audible.  He said they didnt push out to him (meaning, someone missed their assignment, looks like the RT) and the mistake he made was, he needed to throw a hot route at the blitz, instead of the opposite side double move.  So the protection was supposed to be there and an assignment was missed and basically he said, he shouldnt have had the audible on the opposite side of the blitz. 

fwiw, they sent an extra defender 6 times in that game, 5 of the 6 went for a 1st down, including that play.  lol

Lol, I’m not calling you out bb, don’t worry.

Appreciate that context because I didn’t see any of the postgame presser for Chicago due to the Jets game.  Adds a whooooole different level of evaluation.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, the Claw said:

Why? People are living truncated lives because of the “old NFL.” That defender should absolutely be fined for this hit.

Do we actually know that football truncated their lives? What is the average age of an NFL players death?

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The gap between the media praise and actual performance with Fields is going to be an issue for the Bears.

It has genuinely been pretty stunning.

People latched on to the narrative that he’s a superstar who’s been done wrong by falling so low in the draft. The media had annointed him second to Lawrence and like a lot of posters here can’t accept that he wae actually a very flawed prospect who’s extremely raw. 

He would have been better going to New England. Cam would have been a good stopgap and the scumbag wouldn’t fee any pressure to play him. 

Bears fans are already booing Dalton and chanting Fields’ name. They should be careful what they wish for.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Zach Wilson (2 games).

16/20 (80.0%).

191 Passing Yards.

(9.5 yards per pass attempt).

2 TDs.

0 INTs.

0 sacks.

0 fumbles.

QB Rating of 120.7.

Vs. 

Justin Fields (2 games). 

23/39 (58.9%). 

222 passing yards. 

(5.6 yards per pass attempt). 

1 TD. 

0 INTs.

2 sacks. 

1 fumble.

QB Rating of 82.9. 

Be more like me (DWC) and less like you (JiFFy) and just admit that you're wrong about Justin Fields already (as I've proudly admitted to being wrong about Trevor Lawrence) because watching you try and defend Justin Fields is just sad (when you should be taking this time to rave about Zach Wilson instead). . 

I always told you that your favorite Justin Fields was more of an NCAA running back than an NFL quarterback.

(but you just never wanted to listen to me). 

• Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, Facts said:

Do we actually know that football truncated their lives? What is the average age of an NFL players death?

"53 to 59 years

The average life expectancy or lifespan of an American football NFL player has been reported to be extremely low, only 53 to 59 years depending on playing position"

Also...

"NFL players' rate of death was 1.3 times higher than pro baseball players. The research is the first time any comparison of life expectancy between professional athletes has been done. It found two factors that shortened NFL players' life expectancy: Cardiovascular disease".

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

It has genuinely been pretty stunning.

People latched on to the narrative that he’s a superstar who’s been done wrong by falling so low in the draft. The media had annointed him second to Lawrence and like a lot of posters here can’t accept that he wae actually a very flawed prospect who’s extremely raw. 

He would have been better going to New England. Cam would have been a good stopgap and the scumbag wouldn’t fee any pressure to play him. 

Bears fans are already booing Dalton and chanting Fields’ name. They should be careful what they wish for.

They are pitting Wilson against Fields for whatever reason and totally ignoring Lance went ahead of him too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

"53 to 59 years

The average life expectancy or lifespan of an American football NFL player has been reported to be extremely low, only 53 to 59 years depending on playing position"

Also...

"NFL players' rate of death was 1.3 times higher than pro baseball players. The research is the first time any comparison of life expectancy between professional athletes has been done. It found two factors that shortened NFL players' life expectancy: Cardiovascular disease".

Thanks for finding this.

But that same study says: The researchers also analyzed the deaths and found that while heart disease was the No. 1 cause of death in both groups, as it is around the world.”

I don’t think playing in the NFL is making their heart disease progress faster, do you?

Im not a doctor, but I would speculate that the millionaire lifestyle with access to all the food and drugs you want may have something more to do with early death rate than being hit 16 times per year. 

Then there is also the 2012 study that states: “However, a 2012 study reported that retired NFL players have a lower death rate than men in the general population.”

What to believe?

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Fields didnt play well at all.....went 9-19

Media........46 YARDS RUSHING!! 

They arent ready to admit they are wrong yet

So two partial preseason games is all you need to see to know all things.

You know, it's amazing no NFL team has noticed your keen insight and hired you on.  

It's amazing how much the "don't wait, rush to judgement, be the first to say X and win the media/internet!" mentality has infested our culture and discourse.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Lol, I’m not calling you out bb, don’t worry.

Appreciate that context because I didn’t see any of the postgame presser for Chicago due to the Jets game.  Adds a whooooole different level of evaluation.

You werent, that's not your style but others have, which is fine.  This really wasnt mean to be a defense, 9-19 speaks for itself, I was more so just commenting on these breakdowns. They dont know what was called and make assumptions and in this particular case, he was wrong.  

And fwiw, while I was advocating for Fields, I always said I wanted a bridge QB so he could sit and watch.  I agree, I think it is the best thing for him.  That said, I want the same for Zach but homeboy has come out cool as ice so I hope I was dead wrong on this kid.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I, too, draw definitive conclusions from two preseason games 

I keep saying it but this place on overreaction Monday is going to be insane, the question is, which way will it be?  lol

It always blows my mind how everyone knows not to wet their pants after week 1 because history has shown it means nothing but yet every year it happens.  This season the board is ahead of the curve doing it in the preseason, getting nice and ready for week 1.  Impressive when you think about it.

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

I keep saying it but this place on overreaction Monday is going to be insane, the question is, which way will it be?  lol

It always blows my mind how everyone knows not to wet their pants after week 1 because history has shown it means nothing but yet every year it happens.  This season the board is ahead of the curve doing it in the preseason, getting nice and ready for week 1.  Impressive when you think about it.

Seriously. This forum is on the ledge with training camp practice reports. We’re gonna have a collective aneurysm after the first game. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Still not sure how he was supposed to hit him. 

In the shoulder or midsection . Defenders are taught not to launch upward.  I agree there are some cases where the QB or WR is falling into the path of a tackle and there really is nothing a defender can do - This was not one of them . 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If fields learned how to strap his helmet properly it wouldn’t of looked so bad. He didn’t go head first into or bring his arm up into his head. He made helmet contact  but there was nothing dirty about it. 

Are helmet to helmet hit allowed in the NFL?  No, never under any circumstances 

Was he flagged on the play?  Yes

Where did you get the inside info that his helmet strap wasnt on right?  And what does it even have to do with he came in, saw a defenseless QB and launched into him helmet firs.  Are you seriously arguing this?  

47 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If fields learned how to strap his helmet properly it wouldn’t of looked so bad. He didn’t go head first into or bring his arm up into his head. He made helmet contact  but there was nothing dirty about it. 

That helmet he's wearing I think is designed to come off...the chinstrap is super loose. Hit looked worse than it was. I mean that's a textbook form tackle that looks worse because Fields is short and also dipped right before the defender makes contact. The defender led into the shoulder and skied his eyes. Not much else he could have done. 

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are helmet to helmet hit allowed in the NFL?  No, never under any circumstances 

Was he flagged on the play?  Yes

Where did you get the inside info that his helmet strap wasnt on right?  And what does it even have to do with he came in, saw a defenseless QB and launched into him helmet firs.  Are you seriously arguing this?  

Is holding dirty play meant to hurt someone? Is it illegal? Does it get flagged? 
Hitting is part of the game. The guy made a dumb play with the new rules that’s it’s. It’s not two hand touch.