The Struggles of Penei Sewell

HtownJet

On 8/22/2021 at 2:24 AM, HtownJet said:

Many anointed him as a generational talent. Yeah it’s very early, but he has struggled in camp and 2 games as a RT which may not be his natural position. I recall one of the pre draft arguments…keep Darnold, draft Sewell and play him at LT, move Becton to RT. What a disaster that could have been.

Ya i noticed bitonti has made like a turtle and went into his shell. No word from him

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Doesn’t really post, but he still comes back to give up-arrow rep when someone says the Jets suck or will suck or they drafted the wrong player(s).

He’ll post here again when Sewell pancakes someone in a game and there’s a video clip he can paste ;)

No one has been treated worse on this board than bit. It's not a good look, at all. Classic kill-the-messenger with disingenuous cherry-picking his misses to denigrate him.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

Never seen more glee in pointing out someone’s misses as the board has for bit. Did he take a dump on the grill at a JN tailgate or something?

To be fair, that honor belongs to Raideraholic.  Mainly because he is so blissfully ignorant, and annoyingly arrogant every single preseason and it's really kind of fun when the wheels inevitably come off.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Never seen more glee in pointing out someone’s misses as the board has for bit. Did he take a dump on the grill at a JN tailgate or something?

Bitoni is a good poster, but every time I see his name I think of his unwavering support of Dwayne Robertson.

I'm not sure JN existed yet!

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2021 at 10:41 PM, y2k8 said:

Bitoni is a good poster, but every time I see his name I think of his unwavering support of Dwayne Robertson.

I'm not sure JN existed yet!

Everyone has misses. Just seems people love to throw bit’s in his face to a sadistic level

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Everyone has misses. Just seems people love to throw bit’s in his face to a sadistic level

You got to own your misses. Cough Patrick Ramsey Cough. Sadly most folks here don’t. But the better known/louder/regular personalities can’t dodge it the way so many of the lesser folks can. We get it thrown at us regularly.

Imagine if people threw slats love of Darnold and Mims in his face every time QB or WR came up? It gets tiresome, esp when you know how always-wrong the people raising the old miss usually are. I get Bits frustration.

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, jgb said:

Yes, by sharing opinions that hurt feels. That’s not actually on him.

It's not feelings but outrageous, unsupported contentions and false data related to teams' cap spending.  Completely false data mind you.  I demonstrated that in a post, without any response from him.   Blames everything on Jets owner being cheap essentially and that is incorrect in my opinion and I challenge him on that one issue every time he brings it up. Because he's wrong about it.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, jgb said:

He got blowback back in the day because he smugly held himself up as a draft expert and condescended to other posters bc they didn't posses his level of insight or analysis.  I think that's why so many gave it back to him

That said, I think he has dialed it down over the years. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2021 at 3:33 PM, jgb said:

He spent months dumping on Zach Wilson.  He's waiting for him to be injured before he comes back.

He was practically rooting for Zach to break.  I have no problem with his opinion.  Think it's a tad weak to go into hiding over it. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Biggs said:

He spent months dumping on Zach Wilson.  He's waiting for him to be injured before he comes back.

He was practically rooting for Zach to break.  I have no problem with his opinion.  Think it's a tad weak to go into hiding over it. 

Pretty much this and what Sperm said above me, coupled with the fact that he, practically, insults your football intelligence for not agreeing with him (which I have less problems with than rooting for one of own to get hurt just so he can say that he was right).

• Upvote 2

On 8/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, jgb said:

Yes, by sharing opinions that hurt feels. That’s not actually on him.

WIth respect to one issue (Jets spending) I disagree.  He outright misrepresents facts, at least with respect to the Jets spending vs the cap as compared to other NFL teams.  I posted real spending data and challenged his narrative and he never replied.   Other than that issue, I like Bit's posts on players.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

WIth respect to one issue (Jets spending) I disagree.  He outright misrepresents facts, at least with respect to the Jets spending vs the cap as compared to other NFL teams.  I posted real spending data and challenged his narrative and he never replied.   Other than that issue, I like Bit's posts on players.

This too.  If you prove him and his narratives wrong with tangible evidence, he just ignores you and moves on to another poster/thread to spew the same sh*t, in hopes that no one saw him get proven wrong.

I have no problem with having an opinion.  Even an outlandish one.  I thought Hackenberg was going to be “the guy” because I was so convinced off of that one year under B.O.B that his struggles were everything around him for crying out loud.  That being said, DO NOT act smug, arrogant, or high and mighty and not expect it to be thrown back at you, especially if time proves you wrong.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:24 PM, Biggs said:

Don’t know the circumstances of his absence. But so what if he’s skeptical of Wilson? He might be right, you know. And even if he is not, it’s a valid opinion of a Jets fan to have.

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, y2k8 said:

He got blowback back in the day because he smugly held himself up as a draft expert and condescended to other posters bc they didn't posses his level of insight or analysis.  I think that's why so many gave it back to him

That said, I think he has dialed it down over the years. 

Yeah I don’t know the whole history. But I will say if misses disqualify one from being a draft expert, no one is a draft expert.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

I rather enjoy my back & forth with him, but I can see how some don’t, and why they negatively respond to his repeated:

• “I’m going to bring the fanbase down with this [false] aha I’m purporting to uncover” (e.g. the silly Woody Johnson is cash poor & commands his GMs to spend less than everyone else & that’s why the Jets suck).
  • “It doesn’t matter if the overall roster is worse; we shouldn’t root for better asset allocation and instead should take great comfort in 1 probowler and/or ‘sure thing’ prospect at a far lesser-need position” (e.g. the Jets need a FQB to even have a shot, but should instead rejoice in taking and/or extending a probowl box safety, a second LT, etc.).

When someone replies to him showing how his opinion may not be correct, or in other cases is factually wrong, his partial-quote replies that purposely leaves out another’s key point (or his outright ignoring the reply and pretending no one’s debunked him) isn’t an endearing habit. It’s willfully dishonest dialog to those who took the time to respond to him. That can create... if a grudge is too strong a word, then at least light/ribbing pleasure in his being proven wrong. When people above say he brings it on himself, I think this is what they mean.

For years he was an unflappable homer, and there’s always a soft spot for fans like that: even if many think they’re deluding themselves, hey BFD so what if they are; and that was Bit for years.

Now, and for so many years, he gives off the vibe that he’s a fan of and only roots for select individual rostered players (or one he feels the Jets just have to draft); THAT other than these 1-2 players, he truly despises & everything else Jets; and, without endearing sarcasm/humor, takes real pleasure in their failures as some form of self-affirmation that he was right (never mind that he could be wrong and the Jets could also suck).

In Bit’s defense, the Jets have given fans plenty of reasons to have him & other diehard fans sour on them for years, and then sucked & did so many stupid things for still more years just to make sure this souring sticks. While it seems otherwise here, I’m guessing privately he (probably) still roots for the team’s success.

I see the point. I think it’s more simple than that. Everyone grieves in their own way. Bit’s attitude about the team is a self defense mechanism against further heartache. I do the same. I keep my expectations gutter low for this team. One day — hopefully, I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Sure beats wildly vacillating from extreme disillusionment and the shattered hull of hope at the end of one season to unmitigated optimism after the draft for the next season. This team needs to earn it from some of us, at this point.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1