To Our L.I. Fans - Hurricane Henri

Warfish

I live in Nassau County not far from Suffolk border. Looks like the storm went further east when hit landfall.  On the local news they were talking about Montauk. Since last night we have intermittently gotten strong rains then it goes down to light rain and then increases but like another poster mentioned winds have been moderate around here. The rain is supposed to continue into tomorrow. The power grid around us is from the 50's. After Sandy (we lost power at least 11 days)  we did see trucks for several years doing work cutting trees etc. But we still get a lot of power outages in this area. Anyways go Jets and PSEG.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I live in Nassau County not far from Suffolk border. Looks like the storm went further east when hit landfall.  On the local news they were talking about Montauk. Since last night we have intermittently gotten strong rains then it goes down to light rain and then increases but like another poster mentioned winds have been moderate around here. The rain is supposed to continue into tomorrow. The power grid around us is from the 50's. After Sandy (we lost power at least 11 days)  we did see trucks for several years doing work cutting trees etc. But we still get a lot of power outages in this area. Anyways go Jets and PSEG.

Have they been burying the power lines in L.I. or standing pat with above-ground pole-lines?

One of the great things about down here is lots of new generally = underground utilities, including power and interwebs,  Much less frequent outages, even in bad storms.

Glad to hear the storm seems to have gone east, seems that's helped most of L.I. out a lot.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Have they been burying the power lines in L.I. or standing pat with above-ground pole-lines?

One of the great things about down here is lots of new generally = underground utilities, including power and interwebs,  Much less frequent outages, even in bad storms.

Glad to hear the storm seems to have gone east, seems that's helped most of L.I. out a lot.

Where I live above the ground pole lines and old ones too. So far this time we didn’t lose power. Before the storm started we thought 100% we’d lose it. 

I've been in Florida since 1998-1999 so I know the destruction these storms can cause.  Never underestimate or over look. Stock up on plenty of water and food that doesn't need to be cooked in case of a power outage. Backup generator is always a luxury. And take your car to higher ground to avoid flooding and a ruined engine and most importantly; board up all windows and if a big tree in the yard be at a place within your home where it won't fall right on top of you. Be safe NY because NY homes aren't built for hurricanes as Florida roofs aren't built for blizzards. 

• Upvote 1