Tim Jenkins video on Zach Wilson

thshadow

1 hour ago, Mark78 said:

Already have more faith in Wilson at the helm than ever with Darnold.  Confident he will not make stupid mistakes and find open receivers 

I'll second that... I have not trusted a Jets Qb to default to the bone headed decision since Chad. We may have a Qb with something between  his ears for once.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I'll second that... I have not trusted a Jets Qb to default to the bone headed decision since Chad. We may have a Qb with something between  his ears for once.

Third.

The first time in 3 years that every time our QB drops back I'm not hearing "don't throw a pick, don't throw a pick, don't throw a pick, don't throw a pick" in my head before he throws the ball.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

One of the more encouraging things I am seeing from Zach is that his eyes and his feet are matched up.   As his eyes move, his feet are moving and that’s awesome to see because we saw disconnect with this early in camp.  The best throw he has made this entire camp was the throw to Davis on that broken coverage.   That play showed off his impressive arm talent.   

I think we also see that this coaching staff is doing exactly what it needs to do with a rookie QB, keeping it simple and not throwing a ton of stuff at him all at once.  We also see why this “system” is considered so QB friendly.  Some easy reads and throws on screens and receivers “schemed” open.  

Thank you for your correct observation about what a scheme and plan for a young QB can accomplish. Coaching and scheme count. It's critical when dealing with a young QB 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Already have more faith in Wilson at the helm than ever with Darnold.  Confident he will not make stupid mistakes and find open receivers 

Me too. I had unbridled HOPE for Sam which made me think he would become good, With Zach the subjective fan and the objective football observer see the same thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

One of the more encouraging things I am seeing from Zach is that his eyes and his feet are matched up.   As his eyes move, his feet are moving and that’s awesome to see because we saw disconnect with this early in camp.  The best throw he has made this entire camp was the throw to Davis on that broken coverage.   That play showed off his impressive arm talent.   

I think we also see that this coaching staff is doing exactly what it needs to do with a rookie QB, keeping it simple and not throwing a ton of stuff at him all at once.  We also see why this “system” is considered so QB friendly.  Some easy reads and throws on screens and receivers “schemed” open.  

DJ sees it the same way.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

That play where he looked off the safety and dropped a dime to Kroft.. the absolute laser to Davis on the comeback.. and the shallow cross where he created time to let that develop. I’m wet. 

Thats nothing like you expect out of a rookie, a rookie that many thought wouldnt make the move to the NFL because of BYU.  Fields has yet to look off his primary WR and move through his progressions.  I think hes hurt by playing later in games where backups cant contain his run giving him an option thats not going to be so available against starting defenses

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

DJ sees it the same way.

DJ is reading my stuff again…Lol.   I remember watching Trevor Lawrence in practice as a true freshman do this almost instinctively, it’s one of the first things I look at when watching a QB’s mechanics.  Doing this habitually will be the key for Zach, the game is going to get much harder for Zach in the next few weeks, hopefully he can maintain these mechanics.  

• Upvote 3

If his mechanics are instinctive, which they look like they are,  as opposed to trying to remember to be in proper throwing position, he should be ahead of the game. He has one of the quickest releases I've seen since Marino and throws an accurate ball to boot. Every time I watch him, I become more impressed.

On 8/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, sec101row23 said:

DJ is reading my stuff again…Lol.   I remember watching Trevor Lawrence in practice as a true freshman do this almost instinctively, it’s one of the first things I look at when watching a QB’s mechanics.  Doing this habitually will be the key for Zach, the game is going to get much harder for Zach in the next few weeks, hopefully he can maintain these mechanics.  

IIRC back in October/November last year, both of us had Fields, Lawrence, Wilson in that order, and it more or less stayed that way through the draft. If not you, then definitely for me. I know I was upset that we took Wilson over Fields.

All of that said, even given the caveats that come with preseason football, I'm certainly encouraged by what Wilson has put on tape so far. Hope he continues to prove me wrong!