Was Tony Romo Wrong About Zach Wilson......

Tony Romo thinks Sam Darnold has the 'it factor' and could be a breakout player in 2019. ... "I just think he's got that thing the great ones have," Romo said on Tuesday at the NFL on CBS Media Day. "The ability to process information very quickly, and his spatial awareness. Aug 14, 2019

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

Romo said similar things about Sam Darnold 

Tony Romo has one of the highest QB Ratings of All-Time. 

Tony Romo loved Sam Darnold the QB prospect but Tony Romo hated the crap HCs/WRs/RBs/TEs and Atrocious O-Linemen that Sam Darnold was "blessed with". 

Before trying to discredit Tony Romo as a QB evaluator can you please name and list me all of Sam Darnold's awesome supporting cast throughouthis his 3 years as a Jet?

HCs ____ Adam Gase ____ Answered for you.

OCs _____ Name all of them?

WRs _____ Name all of them?

RBs ______ Name all of them?

TEs ______ Name all of them?

O-Linemen _____ Name ALL of them?

Until you're able to fill in those Patrick Mahomes types of blanks I'll take your Tony Romo opinion with a grain of salt ?

Tony Romo knows the QB position. 

27 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I know.. I know.. I know...

I have been a Jets fan for over 50 years so I know about being a CRAZED Jets Fan!

I know.. and yes this was discussed in part the other day..

But I started to think after this GB game that.....Tony Romo gave Zach Wilson as high as praise as you can give anyone last week, comparing Zach Wilson to Dan Marino and quite frankly I thought he was nuts!!  NUTS!!!.....

BUT NOW!!!

After seeing Wilson play so easy easy I was like, 150 Plus QBR rating!!

"WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!!!"

I thought.. maybe.... "JUST MAYBE" we have something

Here is the statement again..

And while I don't see Marino .. I do see.... 

Spanky Oh Boy GIF - Spanky Oh Boy Little Rascals - Discover & Share GIFs

Perhaps....

Joe Montanna... :) 

Based off of just God given talent alone?

• Zach Wilson has an Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes type of A+ arm (you can't deny it).

• Chad Pennington type of pin point accuracy. 

• Dan Marino's quick release.  

You can not teach this type of sh*t. 

It's up to Zach Wilson to develop mentally and that still remains to be seen but he's an insane QB prospect and I'm ashamed of myself for ever wanting Trevor Lawrence over this kid. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Tony Romo has one of the highest QB Ratings of All-Time. 

Tony Romo loved Sam Darnold the QB prospect but Tony Romo hated the crap HCs/WRs/RBs/TEs and Atrocious O-Linemen that Sam Darnold was "blessed with". 

Before trying to discredit Tony Romo as a QB evaluator can you please name and list me all of Sam Darnold's awesome supporting cast throughouthis his 3 years as a Jet?

WRs _____ Name all of them?

RBs ______ Name all of them?

TEs ______ Name all of them?

O-Linemen _____ Name ALL of them?

Until you're able to fill in those Patrick Mahomes types of blanks I'll take your Tony Romo opinion with a grain of salt ?

Tony Romo knows the QB position. 

This post is brief for you good job. 

You can fill all those blanks I with:

Kid Fury Reaction GIF

Stop trying to give people  homework ?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Based off of just God given talent alone?

• Zach Wilson has an Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes type of A+ arm (you can't deny it).

• Chad Pennington type of pin point accuracy. 

• Dan Marino's quick release.  

You can not teach this type of sh*t. 

It's up to Zach Wilson to develop mentally and that still remains to be seen but he's an insane QB prospect and I'm ashamed of myself for ever wanting Trevor Lawrence over this kid. 

You are very excited about Zach. I am too .... don't get ahead of yourself though your already turning him into a mythical beast 2 preseason  games in. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

You are very excited about Zach. I am too .... don't get ahead of yourself though your already turning him into a mythical beast 2 preseason  games in. 

There are 3 things we can not deny about this kid. 

1.) A++ arm.

2.) A++ accuracy.  

3.) A++ quick release.  

This type of QB talent doesn't come around often.  

It's going to be all mental for this kid because if he develops mentally there's nothing stopping him. 

And fk Defense it's up to our Front Office to continue drafting 1st and 2nd round WRs, O-Lineman, TEs and RBs. I want JD to pull a 2020 and use our first 4 picks all on Offense come 2022s draft.

(and use our FA $$$ and all of our remaining draft picks on Defense). 

I'm tired sick and tired of not having a Franchise QB; and this kid is the chosen one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I know.. I know.. I know...

I have been a Jets fan for over 50 years so I know about being a CRAZED Jets Fan!

I know.. and yes this was discussed in part the other day..

But I started to think after this GB game that.....Tony Romo gave Zach Wilson as high as praise as you can give anyone last week, comparing Zach Wilson to Dan Marino and quite frankly I thought he was nuts!!  NUTS!!!.....

BUT NOW!!!

After seeing Wilson play so easy easy I was like, 150 Plus QBR rating!!

"WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!!!"

I thought.. maybe.... "JUST MAYBE" we have something

Thank you.  Those words jumped right out of your post for me.  I hadn't really articulated well what I think I've been seeing from Zach, but that's exactly it.  He's playing easy.  He's looked like a guy who has been doing this for a million years.  No big mistakes, cool and calm in the pocket, doing the right thing with the football.  Like a pro golfer practicing 10 ft putts.... it has just looked routine  so far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

1.) A++ arm.

2.) A++ accuracy.  

3.) A++ quick release.  

It's going to be all mental for this kid because if he develops mentally there's nothing stopping him. 

And fk Defense it's up to our Front Office to continue drafting 1st and 2nd round WRs, O-Lineman, TEs and RBs. I want JD to pull a 2020 and use our first 4 picks all on Offense come 2022s draft.

I'm tired sick and tired of not having a Franchise QB; and this kid is the chosen one.

Jets’ first pick next year will be an Edge Rusher, and they might even trade up to get their guy. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Thank you.  Those words jumped right out of your post for me.  I hadn't really articulated well what I think I've been seeing from Zach, but that's exactly it.  He's playing easy.  He's looked like a guy who has been doing this for a million years.  No big mistakes, cool and calm in the pocket, doing the right thing with the football.  Like a pro golfer practicing 10 ft putts.... it has just looked routine  so far.

This is it!!

And the other QB that I saw who I felt was easy as he played was Joe Montanna. 

Noooo I am not saying that Wilson is Montanna or will be, but I do see that EASY play that made Joe Cool very very special ….

Lets Go Jets!!! :)

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

1.) A++ arm.

2.) A++ accuracy.  

3.) A++ quick release.  

Same was said about Jeff George. Impending greatness frustrated by reality. I remember him being called the next Marino.

To quote the Tuna - “Let’s not put him in Canton yet”.

Just now, Ian Fleming said:

Same was said about Jeff George. Impending greatness frustrated by reality. I remember him being called the next Marino.

To quote the Tuna - “Let’s not put him in Canton yet”.

How many NCAA QBs have played Football throughout the years? Hundreds? Thousands? 

Because Zach Wilson's 2020 season ranks 6th All-Time. 

And he's showing us why. 

No Jets QB ever drafted outside of Chad Pennington has ever put up the statistics that Zach Wilson put up last year and if not for injuries Chad Pennington would've won us a SB as a top 5 QB.

This kid is special man and as an FSU fan I'm crazed for ACC Football and therefore I fell for Trevor Lawrence because I never watched any BYU football but I was wrong because this kid is more gifted than Trevor Lawrence. And I'm already thankful he didn't go #1 overall.

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

Dan Marino wasn't as smart and had a real gunsligner mentality.  I mean that in a good way.  

That isn’t true at all,  Marino was very smart and very good as a rookie.  Started the 6th game of the 83 season and never looked back.  Pro bowl as a rookie,  had the lowest interception ratio, led the conference in passing, 96 passer rating. 
In 84 he set the records for most td’s thrown in a season which Manning passed in 04, and most passing yards which Breese passed in 11.   
Dan Marino was smart and knew what he was doing, that’s damn good for a QB’s first season and a half as a starter! 

If Zack studies like they say he does, like Marino did, with Zack’s quick release like Marino, I think it may be a good comparison. 

Semper Fi

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

How many NCAA QBs have played Football throughout the years? Hundreds? Thousands? 

Because Zach Wilson's 2020 season ranks 6th All-Time. 

And he's showing us why. 

No Jets QB ever drafted outside of Chad Pennington has ever put up the statistics that Zach Wilson put up last year and if not for injuries Chad Pennington would've won us a SB as a top 5 QB.

This kid is special man and as an FSU fan I'm crazed for ACC Football and therefore I fell for Trevor Lawrence because I never watched any BYU football but I was wrong because this kid is more gifted than Trevor Lawrence. And I'm already thankful he didn't go #1 overall.

LMAO….  A Healthy Chad never won more than 10 games.    Your love for Zach is admirable, but I’ll wait until we win a few games.  But yes, kid looks very good.  

4 minutes ago, fastmover said:

That isn’t true at all,  Marino was very smart and very good as a rookie.  Started the 6th game of the 83 season and never looked back.  Pro bowl as a rookie,  had the lowest interception ratio, led the conference in passing, 96 passer rating. 
In 84 he set the records for most td’s thrown in a season which Manning passed in 04, and most passing yards which Breese passed in 11.   
Dan Marino was smart and knew what he was doing, that’s damn good for a QB’s first season and a half as a starter! 

If Zack studies like they say he does, like Marino did, with Zack’s quick release like Marino, I think it may be a good comparison. 

Semper Fi

Crazy how he never won more…. He was so extremely talented. Quick release, good field general.  yet the Bills put a complete team on the field in those years. 

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Crazy how he never won more…. He was so extremely talented. Quick release, good field general.  yet the Bills put a complete team on the field in those years. 

Don Shula was Marino limited Marino’s success. Shula never developed a consistent running game to take the pressure of Marino. He also never developed a defense capable of restraining the opposing offense.

Marino could put up large passing numbers in a game and throw 5 TD passes. But when the defense consistently game up 6 TD passes, he could not win when going up against good defenses of that era - the Bills and Broncos for example. 

The Jets seemed to be kryptonite for him more often than not, no matter how successful, or not, the Jets were at a given time.

Listen from the outside looking in , it's obvious the kid has a strong arm, he's very intelligent and has the physical attributes you look for.

That being said can he take a hit? Is he a leader of men? Can he handle adversity? Can he handle the media if things go wrong? These are serious questions that have no answers yet.

I want him to be the guy. I really do. But it's like when you meet a chick and you think everything's perfect, there's the platonic best guy friend, my best friend is my mom, or I have this really weird thing with my foot or an intestinal problem. LMFAO! We all have something right?

I really like what I've seen thus far but I am cautiously optimistic.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He win a lot, just not Bowls though.....  it’s a shining example of not building a complete team! Marino’s ability masked many shortcomings.   The Bills..... Jim Kelly.....4 Super Bowl losses...... crazy!  

Semper Fi 

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Listen from the outside looking in , it's obvious the kid has a strong arm, he's very intelligent and has the physical attributes you look for.

That being said can he take a hit? Is he a leader of men? Can he handle adversity? Can he handle the media if things go wrong? These are serious questions that have no answers yet.

I want him to be the guy. I really do. But it's like when you meet a chick and you think everything's perfect, there's the platonic best guy friend, my best friend is my mom, or I have this really weird thing with my foot or an intestinal problem. LMFAO! We all have something right?

I really like what I've seen thus far but I am cautiously optimistic.

watching Sanchez game 1 Texans gave me big optimism.  4 weeks later the real Mark showed up.  I have been engrained now to be more pragmatic…… I’m with you.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:
LMAO….  A Healthy Chad never won more than 10 games.    Your love for Zach is admirable, but I’ll wait until we win a few games.  But yes, kid looks very good.  

A healthy before injuries Chad Pennington in 2002 went 8-4 with 3,120 yards, a completion percentage of 68.9%, 22 TDs with only 6 INTs along with an ELITE QB Rating of 104.2. That was his 1st year ever starting and one of the greatest Jets QB seasons of All-Time. And then in the playoffs eliminated Peyton Manning 41-0.

There is nothing to "LOL HAHA" laugh about in regards to #10 before injuries because if Pennington wouldn't have gotten injured the AFC wouldn't have been just "Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning" it would've been Chad Pennington vs. Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning because a healthy Pennington was elite and once had a cannon ala Pennington to Randy Moss deep down the sidelines for 60+ yards in the air. 

I'm A+ super excited for Zach Wilson and his physical abilities and if you're not? Ok. Cool. Good for you man. But please can you stop quoting my each and every thought of excitement regarding Zach Wilson? I got your point the first couple of times and it still doesn't change my excitement level. 

You were "proud to be a Jets fan again" in 2018 so let me be excited to be a Jets fan here 2021 and to each our own.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

watching Sanchez game 1 Texans gave me big optimism.  4 weeks later the real Mark showed up.  I have been engrained now to be more pragmatic…… I’m with you.  

What does Mark Sanchez have to do with Zach Wilson man?

Mark Sanchez (2008-USC).

13 Games. 

241/366 (65.8%).

3,207 passing yards (8.8 yards per pass attempt).

34 TDs/10 INTs. 

16 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs. 

37 TDs combined and 3,223 Offensive Yards. 

QB Rating of 164.6. 

Vs. 

Zach Wilson  (2020-BYU).

12 Games. 

247/336 (73.5%). 

3,692 Passing Yards (11.0 yards per pass attempt). 

33 TDs/3 INTs. 

254 rushing yards and 10 rushing TDs. 

43 combined TDs and 3946 Offensive Yards. 

QB Rating of 196.4 (6th highest in NCAA history). 

Mark Sanchez's first career game vs. Houston wasn't even all that impressive man wow he threw 1 TD with 1 INT, 1 Fumble Lost, a completion percentage in the 50s and an average QB Rating of only 84.3; what was impressive was our Defense only allowing 7 points because 1 TD/1 INT/1 FUMBLE was meh. 

• Haha 1