Per Schttps://forums.jetnation.com/topic/161170-per-schefter-jets-looking-to-acquire-a-pass-rusher/hefter Jets looking to acquire a pass rusher

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

ATL signed him to that deal in April of 2020.  Since then he's agreed to a pay cut and the Falcons voided his last year which means he is in his last year there.  He's obviously not the same guy he was in his previous contract year.  If you're so close to him, how could you not be aware of this?

I'm very close to Fowler we share a niece/great niece together our families have been close for over 10 years now and when we talk his contract isn't part of our conversations outside of me begging him to become a future Jet.  

Atlanta is not trading him. 

Screenshot_20210822-164707_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c2ef5ad9fb606bcb138237f90d134901.jpg

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

It was the opposite

The Colts shipped him to the Jets for a 7th after they switched to a 4-3 and he was completely out of place.

Anderson looked damn good his first year here but then was pretty much invisible afterwards.

Ah, okay, thanks.

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Since when are players involved in trade talks?? How would Fowler know if the Jets have called the Falcons? Just bc he doesn't think he's getting traded doesn't been the Falcons won't trade him. 

His contract is done after this season with the added void year.

He's has an $11 million cap hit coming off a 3 sack season and is currently backing up Steven Means at OLB. So yes, a backup player with an $11 million cap hit coming off a 3 sack season at 27 years old isn't worth much more than a 5th or 6th rd pick.

He's going to start for them this year just like he's started for JAX, Rams and Falcons last year. 

And he had an 11.5 sack season the year before with a Defensive TD and helped lead his D to the 2019 SB and at only 27 years old he'll never become traded for anything less than a 1st of at worst a 2nd round draft pick. 

I've bookmarked this thread and I'll be sure to remind you once Atlanta doesn't trade him away this year especially for no "5th or 6th round pick". 

Screenshot_20210823-122120_Chrome.thumb.jpg.51db2711dae84e7a158a7628331e920f.jpg

Do you not realize they can't afford Fowler + many of their other players?

Are you that unaware of Atlanta's salary cap hell come 2022?

And do you not understand that they're not going to trade him during 2021?

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I couldn’t disagree more here. If they do nothing at all at the position, they wouldn’t be saying that they’re punting on the season, they’d be saying that they trust the next guy up on the roster to get the job done. Or that they trust the coaches to get pressure another way. 

Giving up a second and fifth round pick AND paying a 31 y/o OLB $15M/year to put his hand in the dirt as a DE? Just no way. If JD is sniffing around, teams will definitely be looking at his extra draft picks, but he’ll be reluctant to trade them and he won’t for an Edge over 30 in a desperation move. It’s a bad idea, and it won’t happen. Getting a guy like Barnett would be a fine move, though, especially if you could do it for a player like Crowder. Adding a rotational piece works because the team has other rotational pieces on the roster to work with. Bringing in a young guy who can stick around a few years is a move for now and the future. Chandler Jones is an overpriced band-aid that’s unlikely to move the Jets into playoff contention this year. They weren’t there with Lawson, imo. 

We all saw the same game on Saturday right? They couldn't get pressure or get off the field vs a third string qb. The identity of Salehs defense is pass rush. Barnett would be marginally better than what we already have and he'll just be a rotational piece next year They could sign a guy to do that, I can't imagine thinking a guy who's had a 5 year year run of 10+ Sacks every year as a bandaid.  That puts us as a top 5 Dline next year. There's no big contracts coming up for a few years I really don't see this being that complicated of a move to make. I would rather sure up the pass rusher and take swings on corners in the draft on rookie contracts than the other way around. 

16 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

We all saw the same game on Saturday right? They couldn't get pressure or get off the field vs a third string qb. The identity of Salehs defense is pass rush. Barnett would be marginally better than what we already have and he'll just be a rotational piece next year They could sign a guy to do that, I can't imagine thinking a guy who's had a 5 year year run of 10+ Sacks every year as a bandaid.  That puts us as a top 5 Dline next year. There's no big contracts coming up for a few years I really don't see this being that complicated of a move to make. I would rather sure up the pass rusher and take swings on corners in the draft on rookie contracts than the other way around. 

True.

But....

Quinnen Williams wasn't playing.  He is a game changer.  Also, I don't know if Vinny Curry has anything left, but he may bring more pressure off the edge than we had on the field last week.  I'd like to see the defense with those guys on the field before I write off the season based on what we saw at Lambeau.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

True.

But....

Quinnen Williams wasn't playing.  He is a game changer.  Also, I don't know if Vinny Curry has anything left, but he may bring more pressure off the edge than we had on the field last week.  I'd like to see the defense with those guys on the field before I write off the season based on what we saw at Lambeau.

I loved Lawson too and I was fired up for a Defensive front 7 trio of Lawson/QW/C.J Mosley and felt distraught immediately following his injury. 

But then I realized.  He's never once led the Bengals to a winning season let alone the playoffs so why should I act and pretend as if 1 DE makes an entire Football team? 

90% never gave us a shot at the playoffs to begin with (with Lawson) so what's made them "change their minds" without him?

"Couldn't make the playoffs with him. Can't make the playoffs without him".

SOJ.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

True.

But....

Also i can see jd and saleh take a measured approach where they see how the first few games go and then decide if it’s worth going for it this season.  If they start out 0-3 why trade assets for a pass rusher, but if they start out say 2-2 they may be more inclined to do so.

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Too expensive to take on?

49ers restructured EDGE Dee Ford's contract.

Ford will make $24 million over the next two seasons. Previously, Ford had base salaries of $15.2 and $16.2 million for the 2021 and 2022 seasons, so it's a paycut for the injured veteran. It's still a bad contract all-around, but the 49ers figured out a way to lower his cap hit for now. The 30-year-old has appeared in just 12 games across two years in San Francisco. He's currently rehabbing a back injury.

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Too expensive to take on?

49ers restructured EDGE Dee Ford's contract.

Ford will make $24 million over the next two seasons. Previously, Ford had base salaries of $15.2 and $16.2 million for the 2021 and 2022 seasons, so it's a paycut for the injured veteran. It's still a bad contract all-around, but the 49ers figured out a way to lower his cap hit for now. The 30-year-old has appeared in just 12 games across two years in San Francisco. He's currently rehabbing a back injury.

The back injury would scare me. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/22/2021 at 1:34 PM, Lith said:

Mentioned this in the other thread, but I think it is likely that after seeing how the defense played yesterday, they are looking to upgrade the pass rush to help protect the young secondary and reduce the pressure on some of the rookie/2nd year guys that we are hoping to develop.

I also wonder what this might say about the health of a guy like Vinny Curry.  We have been hearing he would be back for week 2, maybe it is looking like he may be out a bit longer.

This news is more about curry's health and less about the results of the preseason game.  If Curry was going to be ready for week 1 there most likely would not be as pressing of a push to sign a passrusher right now.