Your Favorite NFL Football Shows growing up?

ESPN NFL Primetime.

With Chris Berman ("Curtis my favorite Martin J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets Jets") and Tom Jackson.

image.png.4ee6f9a5050a3b1e1ba4affb6f612894.png

INSIDE THE NFL (HBO).

With Chris Collinsworth, Len Dawson, Nick Buoniconti, Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Glanville and then my favorite era of Inside The NFL was with Bob Costas, Chris Collinsworth, Dan Marino and Chris Carter.  

image.png.1874172975f1d9b54f6fdbda83b9e07c.png

Man. As a kid throughout the 1990's and into the early 2000s I used to live for these two shows (I think we all did). 

I used to be so excited for Sunday nights just to watch ESPN highlights on NFL Primetime and I'd always look forward to watching Inside The NFL especially once heading into the season where they'd all make record predictions and go over every teams schedule. I loved that sh*t. Was so intriguing. Those two shows were my absolute favorites. 

Any of you guys really miss these two shows or any other ones that were similar? 

• I haven't followed or looked forward to these types of shows in well over 10 years now but this year I think I want to get back into watching INSIDE THE NFL (never even knew it was still on air until tonight) but with a different cast I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy watching James Brown, Phil Simms, Brandon Marshall, Ray Lewis and Julian Edelman? 

Damn do I deeply miss those types of Football shows to look forward to watching and I don't know if it's just me (and the Jets being bad for so long) but as of late the one's I've watched have all reminded me of hacks within the form of talking tools etc. 

Can anyone recommend to me maybe 1-2 High Quality Shows that you think I'd enjoy because you enjoy yourself? If so thanks in advance because I'd like to check them out but don't even know where to look anymore. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

The old NFL films stuff from the 70s was incredible.  Every rainy day at camp we would get to watch one, including Football Follies, which was always amazing.  But stuff like this still gives me chills.

Yessss man thnx you so much NFL FILMS! that voice just brought back so many childhood memories thank you man.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, longsuffering88 said:

Inside the NFL on HBO was my bible

Remember when they would do the season predictions of every teams schedule and the pickem matchups every week?!? Those were the days man. 

I plan on watchung INSIDE THE NFL this year again I just seen on Wiki that it's still around (different people tho but still).

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Def inside the NFL. Dawson & buonoconti

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They were my 1st originals and freaking loved them as a kid but Bob Costas, Chris Collinsworth, Dan Marino and Chris Carter added so much energy and excitement they were my favorite grand slam.

58 minutes ago, PS17 said:

NFL Primetime with Berman and Jackson legitimately made me a football fan. Was my favorite part of Sundays as a kid. And sadly there will never be another. NBC and NFL Network highlights don’t come close. 

"Curtis my favorite Martin and J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets Jets" was LEGENDARY for us man!

Those Martin days were my middle school and high school years but loved that show since elementary school and it never got old.

Does Berman and Tom Jackson still do it together? I want to get into these shows again. 

Off topic but remember Sports Illustrated?

Every time at the grocery store my mom would be shopping and I'd be at the magazine section just reading as much SI as I could. And then when I was like 8 or 9 my mom got me both SI for kids and also the real Sports Illustrated and for many of years too I looked forward to them coming in the mail like crazy. 

My favorite part was preseason where every team would have an article written about them I'd immediately read the AFC East preview and then afterwards all of the other teams damn I once had a collection of hundreds of them but gave to my nephew in the early 2000s I'm so calling him tomorrow and asking for them back 🤗

I blame SI for making me the way I am today with sports writing. Sports paragraphs are in my DNA. And 1 line twitter filler isn't apart of my nature. Sports Illustrated got me hooked. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DLJ said:

ESPN screwed up royally getting rid of Berman and Jackson to appeal to a younger audience. I always looked forward to their commentary after football sundays. This is coming from a person who is a part of the generation they’re trying to appeal to, they need to bring NFL prime time back

ESPN has been in the toilet

Damnit man I had no idea Chris Berman and Tom Jackson were no longer together wtf.

I just went to YouTube and found this (one from last year but with no Tom Jackson 😪).

Chris Berman still makes it A+ exciting for us though and I'm coming out of retirement this year can't wait to watch Chris Berman every Sunday and he still has the SAME VOICE all these years later!

I'll freak the fk out the first time I hear him say MICHAEL MY FAVORITE CARTER or WHOOP or He could...go...all...the... way!

5 hours ago, DLJ said:

ESPN screwed up royally getting rid of Berman and Jackson to appeal to a younger audience. I always looked forward to their commentary after football sundays. This is coming from a person who is a part of the generation they’re trying to appeal to, they need to bring NFL prime time back

ESPN has been in the toilet

They also put too many former players as hosts, many of whom can barely formulate a coherent thought.  There are some really good ones (eg Steve Young), but my goodness some of the stuff we have to listen to.  There is something to be said for real journalists, who are selected for their insight and oratory skills and not just for the amount of clickbait views or b/c the public knows who they are... 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

The old NFL films stuff from the 70s was incredible.  Every rainy day at camp we would get to watch one, including Football Follies, which was always amazing.  But stuff like this still gives me chills.

I loved NFL films. The music and slow motion were great. Those runs by Campbell in this segment were so punishing.  OJ really kills it as well!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Off topic but remember Sports Illustrated?

Every time at the grocery store my mom would be shopping and I'd be at the magazine section just reading as much SI as I could. And then when I was like 8 or 9 my mom got me both SI for kids and also the real Sports Illustrated and for many of years too I looked forward to them coming in the mail like crazy. 

My favorite part was preseason where every team would have an article written about them I'd immediately read the AFC East preview and then afterwards all of the other teams damn I once had a collection of hundreds of them but gave to my nephew in the early 2000s I'm so calling him tomorrow and asking for them back 🤗

I blame SI for making me the way I am today with sports writing. Sports paragraphs are in my DNA. And 1 line twitter filler isn't apart of my nature. Sports Illustrated got me hooked. 

SI was great for ice skating fans.  Blecchhhh.

12 hours ago, PS17 said:

NFL Primetime with Berman and Jackson legitimately made me a football fan. Was my favorite part of Sundays as a kid. And sadly there will never be another. NBC and NFL Network highlights don’t come close. 

When Football was still mostly about fun.  +1

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

When Football was still mostly about fun.  +1

Football is still all about fun unfortunately our fan base hasn't been able to have fun lately (10+ years now too).  

When our Jets start winning or at least not an embarrassment these shows will become fun for us again man. 

2021 I'm going to make it a priority to watch Inside the NFL and Chris Berman NFL Primetime again because I think both Zach Wilson and coach Saleh will make us fun again. 

12 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

They were my 1st originals and freaking loved them as a kid but Bob Costas, Chris Collinsworth, Dan Marino and Chris Carter added so much energy and excitement they were my favorite grand slam.

To each his own, I thought they sucked.

@Defense Wins Championships

You just described my childhood as a football fan.  The Jets stunk but I didn’t care, watching Primetime with Berman and TJ was better than watching the games.  The show was fun but informative, no agendas…just fun highlights and insight.  I miss primetime greatly, no other highlight show has come close to it. And the music they played during the highlights was phenomenal!

Inside the NFL was also very good, the highlights had more of a NFL Films type of feel to them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Big Snell said:

Gonna give away my age here. I used to duck out of 5 o'clock mass after communion on Saturdays so I could run home and watch This Week In Pro Football with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshire. There are still a ton of episodes from the 70's that you could watch on YouTube.

Before cable TV, that was the best summary of the NFL bar none.  The music , I can still hear in my head.

33 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

@Defense Wins Championships

You just described my childhood as a football fan.  The Jets stunk but I didn’t care, watching Primetime with Berman and TJ was better than watching the games.  The show was fun but informative, no agendas…just fun highlights and insight.  I miss primetime greatly, no other highlight show has come close to it. And the music they played during the highlights was phenomenal!

Inside the NFL was also very good, the highlights had more of a NFL Films type of feel to them.

I'm going to get into watching both  NFL Primetime with Chris Berman (no more Tom Jackson but Chris Berman is still amazing) and Inside The NFL Again. 

Check out this video still the same music too I didn't even know this show was still around!