Rod Gilbert- RIP

faba

? RIP

Hadfield, Ratelle, Gilbert 

One of the best lines ever. I was watching hockey as a 6 year old even before football or baseball. Used to play street hockey in the east village and used black electric tape as the puck. Love my Rangers. And Gilbert was as exciting as any player I’ve ever seen.  7

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

? RIP

Hadfield, Ratelle, Gilbert 

One of the best lines ever. I was watching hockey as a 6 year old even before football or baseball. Used to play street hockey in the east village and used black electric tape as the puck. Love my Rangers. And Gilbert was as exciting as any player I’ve ever seen.  7

Maynard I couldn’t agree more with this post. Growing up in Richmond Hill , Queens I also played street hockey with the electrical tape puck, watching hockey on channel 2 on Saturdays with “ Peter Puck” which if you recall was the animated puck that was used to teach kids that we’re watching the game of hockey. Gilbert was always my favorite Ranger but what made me a life long Gilbert fan was I remember when I was in fourth grade I was writing fan letters to some of Rangers such as Hadfield, Giacomin, Park and the only one that responded was Gilbert who sent me a autographed photo of himself which I kept for years and years. Then several years later was walking with a few buddies on Madison Ave and Gilbert was walking the opposite direction. Now me being probably 20-21 years old at the time I was too cool to be star struck and was saying to myself as he approached “ don’t bother him “. That lasted all of about 5 seconds and I started talking to Rod gushing about the photo he sent me when I was younger and how we still “ love him in the Blue Seats “ since by that time I was able to afford to split 2 season tickets with three of my buddies and we sat in the “ Blue Seats “ where the “ real Ranger fans were “ He was so gracious and we talked for what was maybe ten minutes or so right there on Madison. So Rod may you Rest In Peace and thank you for making a little kid feel like a special person 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Maynard I couldn’t agree more with this post. Growing up in Richmond Hill , Queens I also played street hockey with the electrical tape puck, watching hockey on channel 2 on Saturdays with “ Peter Puck” which if you recall was the animated puck that was used to teach kids that we’re watching the game of hockey. Gilbert was always my favorite Ranger but what made me a life long Gilbert fan was I remember when I was in fourth grade I was writing fan letters to some of Rangers such as Hadfield, Giacomin, Park and the only one that responded was Gilbert who sent me a autographed photo of himself which I kept for years and years. Then several years later was walking with a few buddies on Madison Ave and Gilbert was walking the opposite direction. Now me being probably 20-21 years old at the time I was too cool to be star struck and was saying to myself as he approached “ don’t bother him “. That lasted all of about 5 seconds and I started talking to Rod gushing about the photo he sent me when I was younger and how we still “ love him in the Blue Seats “ since by that time I was able to afford to split 2 season tickets with three of my buddies and we sat in the “ Blue Seats “ where the “ real Ranger fans were “ He was so gracious and we talked for what was maybe ten minutes or so right there on Madison. So Rod may you Rest In Peace and thank you for making a little kid feel like a special person 

Same here... Peter puck on NBC to try to get more fans in the game. THEN... they put that flame trail on the puck to help television viewers.

Hockey you either got or didn't.  Simple as that. 

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Same here... Peter puck on NBC to try to get more fans in the game. THEN... they put that flame trail on the puck to help television viewers.

Hockey you either got or didn't.  Simple as that. 

CPA correct it was channel 4. Loved watching those games and seeing all the greats of that era. Hockey to me is the best game out there. Nothing better than going to a car with a bunch of rabid fans all rooting for the team during a game tight game 7 in the playoffs watching end to end rushes and seeing tremendous saves by the goalies. Just so exciting to watch 

51 minutes ago, CSNY said:

CPA correct it was channel 4. Loved watching those games and seeing all the greats of that era. Hockey to me is the best game out there. Nothing better than going to a car with a bunch of rabid fans all rooting for the team during a game tight game 7 in the playoffs watching end to end rushes and seeing tremendous saves by the goalies. Just so exciting to watch 

In the 80's I lived on LI and was literally the ONLY Rangers fan in a bar during the Islanders run.   I specifically remember Esposito was the coach, Hanlon was goalie and me and 2 other Rangers fans got together screaming "Beat your wife Potvin".  I couldn't speak the next day. 

3 rabid Rangers fans in a bar full of Islander fans.   In 1994, I had 2 framed Rangers victory wall hangings. 1 is in my office, the other at home.

unnamed.jpg.77873f8bbd6c74110602ce185ca326e0.jpg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

In the 80's I lived on LI and was literally the ONLY Rangers fan in a bar during the Islanders run.   I specifically remember Esposito was the coach, Hanlon was goalie and me and 2 other Rangers fans got together screaming "Beat your wife Potvin".  I couldn't speak the next day. 

3 rabid Rangers fans in a bar full of Islander fans.   In 1994, I had 2 framed Rangers victory wall hangings. 1 is in my office, the other at home.

unnamed.jpg.77873f8bbd6c74110602ce185ca326e0.jpg

I too have one piece of memorabilia of which there are only 5 in the world according to my neighbor......   My neighbor who works for the NY TIMES was in charge of the printing presses at the time and he gave me one of the five original stencils ( I guess that’s what they call it ) of the front page of the NY TIMES the day they won the Cup  which I immediately framed and now it is proudly being displayed in my daughters apartment as she too is an avid Rangers fan. And the Potvin chant still rings loud and clear at every Ranger game to this day ?

• Upvote 1