Saleh: Jarrad Davis likely out until Bye Week (Week 6)

Lith

Cashman is a good player if he can only stay on the field.

IMO Sherwood has been playing lights out in the 2 games.   Of  course, as a rookie, there will be some bumps along the way, but I think Sherwood will grow into it very quickly.  Think the Jets will survive the loss of Davis pretty well, but Lawson is going to be a killer.

• Upvote 2

As I came to grips with Lawson, and now this news, part of me thinks this isn’t worst thing in world for where thebjets are.  I don’t think we will compete for any deep playoff run.  These injuries are killers in seasons like that ie vinny in 99.  To an earlier point, these injures will allow backups and young guys to gain valuable experience and be meaningful parts of a true competitive team next year and beyond.   The only position I wiill be concerned about long term for this franchise is o line bc I don’t want Wilson on his back too much.  But giving some younger lbs more time will pay dividends in the long run 

• Upvote 2

Bottom line is this team wasn’t competing for a super bowl this year. Yes these injuries suck and the defense looks like a big problem. However we have 2 first rd picks and 2 second round picks next year we can use to retool our roster. As long as Zach looks competent this is all we can hope 

• Upvote 2

So Saleh specifically mentioned that it was NOT a high ankle sprain, but Davis will be out 2 months with an ankle injury. 

New York Jets LB Jarrad Davis expected to miss about 2 months with ankle injury

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - New York Jetslinebacker Jarrad Davis is expected to miss about two months with a left ankle injury, another blow to their reeling defense.

Coach Robert Saleh, speaking to reporters Monday, wouldn't specify the nature of Davis' injury, except to say it's not a high ankle sprain. Saleh said they hope to have him back "around the bye week," which is Week 6 for the Jets.

A trip to injured reserve seems inevitable. As long as Davis is on the initial 53-man roster after the final cutdown on Aug. 31, he will be eligible to return after three weeks on IR.

Davis was carted to the locker room in Saturday's 23-14 win over the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. Two days earlier, in a joint practice with the Packers, defensive end Carl Lawson suffered a season-ending Achilles' injury.

Lawson and Davis were two of the Jets' biggest offseason acquisitions on defense. Lawson signed a three-year, $45 million contract; Davis, a former first-round pick of the Detroit Lions, signed for $5.5 million on a one-year deal.

"I don't think it's hard on me as much as it's hard on them," Saleh said of Davis and Lawson. "We'll figure it out. Someone will step up and we'll keep moving."

The situation is dire at linebacker. The only proven player is middle linebacker C.J. Mosley, who has played only two games over the past two seasons due to injuries and an opt-out for COVID-19 reasons.

Rookie Jamien Sherwood, a fifth-round pick, will replace Davis on the strong side in their 4-3 front. The weakside starter will be Noah Dawkins (15 career games), who started Saturday, or sixth-round pick Hamsah Nasirildeen, who had been getting the first-team reps in training camp.

Compounding the concern: Sherwood and Nasirildeen are both new to the linebacker position. They played safety at Auburn and Florida State, respectively. The Jets drafted them with the idea of converting them to linebackers because of their speed and coverage ability.

Speaking of Sherwood, Saleh made a loose comparison to San Francisco 49ersAll-Pro middle linebacker Fred Warner, whom he coached from 2018 to 2020. He meant from a size and position-switch standpoint.

"I want to make sure I say this right," Saleh said. "I'm not comparing him to Fred yet -- he's got a long way to go -- but Fred played nickel in college and was maybe 220, 225 his rookie year. [We] threw him in at Mike linebacker, started him Day 1 and he took off."

Saleh called Sherwood an "unbelievable communicator" with excellent instincts and intelligence. The Jets also have veteran Blake Cashman, an oft-injured backup.

The Jets are working out free-agent linebackers and they're exploring possible trades for a pass-rusher to replace Lawson, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday. Saleh sidestepped a question about a potential trade, saying he's focused on the roster.

"There's always going to be personnel discussions," he said.

In other injury news, backup tackle Conor McDermott (knee) is expected to miss significant time. Backup quarterback Mike White (ribs), defensive end Ronnie Blair (hamstring), guard Alijah Vera-Tucker(pectoral strain) and wide receiver Elijah Moore (quadriceps) are day-to-day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Icer said:

Bad teams dont have the depth to withstand injuries, so it's to be expected that this will be a tough patch. Still a few years out from being able to say next man up

Excuses already?

No Jets defense could be as bad as the one that was on the field the last half of the 2019 season, and they managed to win 7 games.

"Tough patch" my ass.  This team better win 8 games.  That's the mandate.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 5

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Excuses already?

No Jets defense could be as bad as the one that was on the field the last half of the 2019 season, and they managed to win 7 games.

SAR I

Mandate for who? There’s a rookie head coach and rookie QB. This is year one lol

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Excuses already?

SAR I

Mandate?  LOL

And if not you'll become a Giants fan?........................Again

Stop. There's no mandate from any one except the false one you're pushing. This is about improving in increments. I mean let's be real, even hitting the O/U total of 6 would be a huge step up for the Jets. If this team has an offense for the first time in a long time and moves forward on D, you take that happily and move forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Mandate for who? There’s a rookie head coach and rookie QB. This is year one lol

Adam Gase was in his first year and they were flying planes after 4 games.  

Joe Douglas and his staff have had 2 drafts and 3 free agency periods.   

Christopher Johnson announced a rebuild and “sucked for Sam” in 2017.

This ain’t no rebuild. Time’s up.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Time’s up.  

SAR I

Yup.  We lose 10-11 games this season?   Rookie QB/HC or not, JD is going to be on the hot seat.  This friggin' team needs to start winning.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, peebag said:

This is going to be a rough season all around the league as far as the injuries aspect goes.

Every season is a rough year all around the league for NFL injuries because it's Football. A violent sport. And gruesome injuries happen; this isn't pong pong. 

QB: Tom Brady. 

RB: Adrian Peterson. 

WR: Calvin Johnson. 

TE: George Kittle. 

OT: Tyron Smith.

C; Nick Mangold.  

G: David DeCastro. 

CB: Darrelle Revis.  

FS: Ed Reed. 

SS: John Lynch. 

MLB: Ray Lewis.  

Edge: Nick Bosa. 

DT/NT: Kris Jenkins. 

Etc.

Regardless of how great these guys were/are they all suffered season ending injuries throughout their playing careers and unfortunately 2021 won't be any different than any other NFL season.

Screenshot_20210823-135310_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8a77928ab05669b6317c577845c5bbc4.jpg

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Jet's defense is going to get run over this year. Hopefully we can run the football as well to compensate.

Have you seen our most dominant Football player in Quinnen Williams play this year?

And did we get ran on all over last year without Pro Boel and All-Pro C.J. Mosley @ MLB?

And if you think we'll get ran on all over you don't know anything about my FSU dude Hamsah Nasirildeen who's an even bigger tackling machine than Jamal Adams.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Excuses already?

SAR I

Come on, quickly, give us excuses again as to why Gase could only win 2 games.

You know when you went wild blaming it on injuries.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, RVAJet815 said:

Stop. There's no mandate from any one except the false one you're pushing. This is about improving in increments. I mean let's be real, even hitting the O/U total of 6 would be a huge step up for the Jets. If this team has an offense for the first time in a long time and moves forward on D, you take that happily and move forward.

I don't think he knows what that word means

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Christopher Johnson announced a rebuild and “sucked for Sam” in 2017.

This ain’t no rebuild. Time’s up.  

SAR I

So your saying Gase was a rookie HC?  

Says the guy who has a string of dumb pics of first year HC as his signature and who major complaint was we needed to get a HC with exp?

LOL, it really is a show reading your posts 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Come on, quickly, give us excuses again as to why Gase could only win 2 games.

You know when you went wild blaming it on injuries.

Peyton Manning was coaching Adam Gase (not the other way around).

manning-gase-saban-draft.jpg.8633616649dad209d6458ed9d437f35b.jpg

And speaking of Peyton Manning and Adam Gase did you see the picture of Adam Gase @ Peyton Manning's HOF speech? Disgusting.  Gase looked like a miserable prick even whem away from coaching ugh.

Peyton Manning also shouted everyone out except for Adam Gase too ?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Have you seen our most dominant Football player in Quinnen Williams play this year?

And did we get ran on all over last year without Pro Boel and All-Pro C.J. Mosley @ MLB?

And if you think we'll get ran on all over you don't know anything about my FSU dude Hamsah Nasirildeen who's an even bigger tackling machine than Jamal Adams.

Its an attacking style defense. The d-lineman need to penetrate and disrupt the QB.  Our second line of defense is way undersized. Quick slants, screens, and a good running scheme will be a problem for us. 

• Upvote 2