Season Ticket Holders Screwed Again.

BxPete

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Look at a team like the Bills, their fans have experienced the same cadence, just backwards.  We started the last 11 years with deep playoff runs, faded, and are rebuilding and on the rise.  The Bills started the last 11 years awful, had a blip playoff appearance or two, rebuilt, and now are making deep playoff runs.

Pick any other NFL team without a franchise quarterback akin to Rogers, Brees, Brady, or Manning in that span, and the Jets are right where they are supposed to be.  This league is about teams who lose a lot, draft well, get hot, and go for the brass ring once every decade or two before falling back into oblivion. 

No Jets PSL owner in 2010 expected 30 years of greatness.  That's not what this sport is about.  The concept is you'll suck for 10 seasons, be mediocre for 10 seasons, be elite for 10 seasons, and win that 1 Super Bowl in your 30 year license period.  This is a marathon, not a sprint.  11 seasons in the PSL books, 19 to go.

SAR I

The Jets have SUCKED for the past 60 years dude! 

• WTF? 1

10 hours ago, BxPete said:

I don't know if any of you other season ticket holders have noticed, but the Jets are essentially prohibiting us from selling later season games if we are on an auto-payment plan. Personally, I can not afford to shell out the cost of season tickets in one shot. I have always been in the auto-payment plan. I moved away from the city but go to as many games as I can. I kept the tickets to keep a family tradition going. Like many of us, I have never made money on these tickets. The the thought that any season ticket holder could is laughable. 

The Jets are not treating these auto-payments, now broken up in 9 installments, as games paid for. As if we were buying each game individually, instead of a payment plan. This makes no sense logically since games are priced "dynamically" and we pay in equal installments. I couldn't sell any games after the 5th home game. This has never been the case and I have been in an auto-payment plan for 12 years.  I wrote the Jets to ask what was going on:

"Hello,

My tickets are on an automatic payment plan. My payments on the plan are
 current from what I can see. I sell most of my Jets tickets as I do not
 live in NY right now and can only go to a few games a year. I listed
 several games and then couldn’t anymore. It said I had to pay an unpaid
 invoice. Is there a new limit on how many games we can sell if we are not
finished with the automatic payments?"

They responded with the following:

"Thank you for your email. You will only be able to post/resell tickets that are paid in full. Right now, you are able to post tickets through the Buffalo Bills game.
Should you have any additional questions, please let us know."

This is another slap in the face to the blue collar Jets fan.  As we all know it gets harder to sell games as the season drags on and the losses pile up. Only way to get close to face is to sell early. Doesn't matter if you are current on your payments, they consider the auto-payments you have yet to pay as unpaid games. So you can sell your own tickets despite having your very own shiny "license" to the seats. This is the last straw for me, if the policy doesn't change back to the way it was, I'm dropping the tickets. I got them 12 years ago when I got back from Iraq with another veteran, we've had some great times, but they don't care about the fans. All lip service. 

Stick It In GIFs | Tenor

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BxPete said:

This is just not the case. Tickets listed before the season starts usually sell and sell close to face, while tickets dumped right before a game are rock bottom. I think it’s because people are buying them as gifts then or they really want to see the Teams that are out of conference and don’t come to NY as much. Sell about half usually.  I go to, give to family or donate to the United way the ones that don’t sell before the season. 

Meant to say Jets are now ( not not) treating these plans as individual games. Ok fine, let me choose my games and you can sell the rest Jets. Of course they would never do this because they would never get as much as they could from a STH.

My main problem is this is a new restriction with no notification to warning to STH. They also have zero update about covid or what they would do if NJ locked down again. Just started up the auto drafting accounts again.

and the Jets say not to make extra payments in the portal because they will probably charge you twice.

at least give the flexibility to say you made 5 payments you sell/transfer any 5 games, instead of locking the sells in sequentially. 

And I’ve had these for 12 years and have kept despite moving to 2000 miles away. Not sure how I’m not in it for the long hall.

When the Jets were a good team, and indications are we may be heading in that direction, the closer we got to kickoff the more desperate local fans got who didn’t have tickets and wanted to go.  Your strategy seems to be “I need to sell the tickets in August because we are going to suck and I’m never going to be able to sell them in December“.  

If that’s the case, pay for the tickets right now and sell them right now.  You get your revenue in August, so there is no hardship this way.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

The Jets have SUCKED for the past 60 years dude! 

Since MetLife stadium opened, the Jets have been #1 in attendance in the AFC and #2 in the entire NFL.  Season-ticket holders like going to games because they get to spend time with their friends and families. Winning would be great but there is more to the experience than record.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah. Pay for them up front and you can sell them.  But you think the Jets should front you the money and then allow you to sell them before theyre paid off?  

You used your car as an example, can you sell your car before you've finished paying it off?  Nope

Umm yes you can

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why would anyone buy PSlL’s/season tickets and sell them in the first place. 

Read the thread. I moved away in my situation but still go to games and give some to family. Others can’t go to every game every year. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Since MetLife stadium opened, the Jets have been #1 in attendance in the AFC and #2 in the entire NFL.  Season-ticket holders like going to games because they get to spend time with their friends and families. Winning would be great but there is more to the experience than record.

SAR I

I respect it but part of our attendance probably has to do with our capacity. 

The Jets are sellers of a product. No antipathy whatsoever to season ticket holders selling tickets to opposing fans. If you want green and white in the stands, put a better product on the field. People love to throw around “loyalty.” Yeah, well the team has a responsibility in this equation also. Jets football isn’t just about losing. They are terribly boring. I can’t even sit through a full Jets game without flipping. Screw them until and unless they offer at minimum an entertaining product. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Umm, no you cant.  

You might need a title.  The bank own the car, you dont and cant sell it

You can sell a car with a loan on it whenever you want. If there is positive equity you pay the loan off with the buyers money, if there is negative you pay the balance.

the car payment analogy was more an example of why people don’t always pay for everything up front. They are different based on the agreement. What you are allowed  to do and what your obligations are when you sell your car is stipulated in the loan agreement.

As I have said before I have always been able to sell or transfer in the past. There is nothing about restricting the ability to sell or transfer in the installment payment agreement now or before. They are required by law to notify buyers if changes. They have not

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BxPete said:

You can sell a car with a loan on it whenever you want. If there is positive equity you pay the loan off with the buyers money, if there is negative you pay the balance.

the car payment analogy was more an example of why people don’t always pay for everything up front. They are different based on the agreement. What you are allowed  to do and what your obligations are when you sell your car is stipulated in the loan agreement.

As I have said before I have always been able to sell or transfer in the past. There is nothing about restricting the ability to sell or transfer in the installment payment agreement now or before. They are required by law to notify buyers if changes. They have not

Yeah you can sell it, all you have to do is pay the car off first.  

Thats not the analogy to what you want to do.  You want to sell tickets you havent paid off.  Until you pay those tickets off, theyre property of the Jets.  

I totally get why some would like to pay their ticket off over time, I wouldnt but would have when I was younger and money was an issue.  

It's not hard to understand why a business giving you an interest free loan would not want you to take the collateral for the loan and sell it before you've paid for it. It's also not hard to understand that the team wants PSL owners primarily filling their own seats because if you can afford a PSL you're more likely to spend money in the stadium than somebody who bought your ticket for $50 in the parking lot. 

I get that it sucks that they've changed their procedures but you bought a luxury item with a commitment to spend a lot more money over thirty years from a billion dollar business. You shouldn't be that surprised that they treat this like a commercial interaction. Only fans talk about loyalty like it's a blood oath between team and fan. You're a consumer of their product and your loyalty is driven by a marketing campaign to keep you consuming their product. If you can afford to make that luxury purchase and want to do it then great but if you can't or won't then the business is just not going to have that much sympathy for you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

PSL Source has 375 listings for Jets PSL's at an average of 3 seats each, total of approximately 1,125 seats for sale.

There are 55,000 PSL seats in MetLife Stadium.

The only people who have a problem with PSL's are the people who don't have PSL's.

SAR I

the listings does not tell the true story for sure

I just walked away from my psls (they were fully paid). There is no value for them and no real secondary market for them. I could not even given them away-fans are happy to either watch on tv or the more popular option of just buying good seats to the few games u may want to go to. 

I had season tickets in our family since shea -then at the "meadowlands" then bought psls- over a 40 year run for me since I was kid

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

PSL's are a 30 year commitment and it looks like we got 3 fun seasons (2010, 2011, 2015) 8 bad seasons, and are about to begin a 10 year run of greatness that will put us in several home playoff games, multiple AFC Championship Games, and a Super Bowl.

The reason championships feel so good is because of all the time, commitments, and challenges one has to go through in order to get there.  Ask me what it was like to be at Madison Square Garden for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals after growing up on Long Island in the 80's.  It's going to be glorious.

SAR I

5-0 baby.

14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Hard to argue with the jets on this one.  What happens if you sell all the tickets and don’t finish your payments ?  

Same as me buying tickets to concerts and because Covid and "caring artists" they cancel.  I am out several hundred and no refund.  It will be a cold day in he!! before I buy another ticket to anything.  The OP is making the smart choice getting rid of them because you can't depend on any live event happening.

• Thumb Down 1

57 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the listings does not tell the true story for sure

I just walked away from my psls (they were fully paid). There is no value for them and no real secondary market for them. I could not even given them away-fans are happy to either watch on tv or the more popular option of just buying good seats to the few games u may want to go to. 

I had season tickets in our family since shea -then at the "meadowlands" then bought psls- over a 40 year run for me since I was kid

Not that I was ever going to sell my PSL’s anyway, but they have great value in perks from the Jets.  The VIP events at Florham Park and MetLife are awesome.  

SAR I

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

It's not hard to understand why a business giving you an interest free loan would not want you to take the collateral for the loan and sell it before you've paid for it. It's also not hard to understand that the team wants PSL owners primarily filling their own seats because if you can afford a PSL you're more likely to spend money in the stadium than somebody who bought your ticket for $50 in the parking lot. 

I get that it sucks that they've changed their procedures but you bought a luxury item with a commitment to spend a lot more money over thirty years from a billion dollar business. You shouldn't be that surprised that they treat this like a commercial interaction. Only fans talk about loyalty like it's a blood oath between team and fan. You're a consumer of their product and your loyalty is driven by a marketing campaign to keep you consuming their product. If you can afford to make that luxury purchase and want to do it then great but if you can't or won't then the business is just not going to have that much sympathy for you. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

And on this count it makes no sense. They can’t sell the PSLs, this is why they ran through the entire waitlist in year one and offered PSL owners additional seats without paying a new PSL in recent years. 

it’s a “luxury” item they can’t sell and I have already bought. I am a guaranteed sale at full price, including a sh*tty pre-season game you can’t give away. They are not going to be able to sell that PSL again. There going to have to sell those tickets individually and, just like me, they will not be getting face for them anytime soon. 

but your right it’s a two way street and they just lost a customer. I’m general customer service=brand loyalty=more money.

Thank you for all of this discussion. If I do nothing (I'm a fan of this option in life in general), I have 4 payments left. Little bit less than a game's worth each, it seems. So, by Oct 1, the problem space here will be really small. I'll either pay early or simply take no action and let this work itself out.

For what it's worth, I feel zero guilt or remorse selling some tickets. I went to nearly every home game for nearly 20 years, then I flew back for a few more games after having moved. I've also given away far more tickets to friends and family than I've sold. That said, these tickets ain't cheap, so I will likely try to sell most of the ones I can't make this year (lmk if anyone is interested; I have nice LSL seats!).

Is stubhub still the best marketplace for sellers? Things still seem better integrated with Ticketmaster. I minimally need to do something about this last preseason game. And I do appreciate that, for a final preseason game last minute, there may be little financial difference between "selling them" and giving them away :)

Buying season tickets is a huge investment in time and money to go to the games.  If you don't have the time or the money to invest get out.  It's easy to buy seats for individual games and even if you pay more for a particular game you aren't invested in future games that you may not want to go to.  The team doesn't owe you a guaranteed return for your tickets on a secondary market. 

When I bought season tickets in AZ I had the time and the money to invest.  They wanted 3 years paid for up front.  I didn't renew and never sold a ticket. I went to several games buying individual tickets to games after I gave up the season tickets.  There were always seats available to buy individually.

You shouldn't be a season ticket holder.  They get to set the terms you get to say yes or no.  

15 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Hard to argue with the jets on this one.  What happens if you sell all the tickets and don’t finish your payments ?  

16 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

You get what you paid for. 

Since the Jets had so many defaults on PSLs, it doesn’t surprise me that the Jets organization has taken a stronger stance on financing their own STH. You have the right to a ticket, but if you haven’t paid for that ticket - in which the Jets have been kind enough to reserve you a specific seat all season to pay as you go - why should you be able to possibly profit off the more in-demand games. 

It’s not screwing STH over, it’s merely giving you what you’ve paid for and not allowing you to possibly sell off/profit from tickets you haven’t paid for. My tickets are paid in full and I can resell/gift/ donate them whenever I want. 

Agree. 

I'm also with the Jet son this one. 

I will say that I have always hated the concept of PSLs, but that is a separate argument. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Cornfed said:

Interesting. I'm in the same boat, having moved out of NJ a few years ago. I kept my tickets and made a few games per year before the pandemic. Still hoping to make a game or two this year, but we'll see.

If I recall correctly, the Jets encouraged folks to get on the monthly plan. And it's just your total bill spread out over time; there's no interest. Maybe they did this to make managing cash flow easier for them? I took it since I've heard it said that, if someone is offering you free money, you take it. In other words, I hold on to the money longer with no penalty.

This makes sense for the Jets to do as noted above in case folks defaulted. That does tie sellers' hands a bit, though. I'm guessing we can just pay off the balance early if desired, right?

There’s no interest on the monthly payment plan 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

There’s no interest on the monthly payment plan 

Nice. Little bit of free money. Do this every time someone offers and it'll make a small difference over a lifetime if you're a person, or a huge one if you're a business!

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah. Pay for them up front and you can sell them.  But you think the Jets should front you the money and then allow you to sell them before theyre paid off?  

You used your car as an example, can you sell your car before you've finished paying it off?  Nope

You can but the lien holder gets paid first.  Same with a house.  Don’t see this as the same thing.  The Jets aren’t lending season ticket holders money to buy season tickets.  They have an installment plan and they are protected by not releasing tickets before they’re paid for.  Seems sensible for both sides.  If you bought season tickets to sell and make a profit you have to buy and own them before selling.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Not that I was ever going to sell my PSL’s anyway, but they have great value in perks from the Jets.  The VIP events at Florham Park and MetLife are awesome.  

SAR I

I had seats for 40 years in our family as noted even in shea as a kid. I have priceless memories of going to the games which total over 300 including  many road trips too. The PSLs (as noted owned them) were not what they were initially portrayed as and they constantly changed the terms on them. An example the parking-the vip parking was going to be a great perk only for the prime seats and special lanes in and out-sounded great then they let anybody buy them . I had a few games where I could not get there early and there were not spots-how could that be my special vip lot was filled-I know how because they let anybody get the green tickets. One by one the perks were gone. It always bugged me too that I was paying for preseason tickets when the guy next to me could get in for ten bucks but I was paying full price.

PSLS would never fly these days the jets go lucky in the timing-the  world was good the economy was good. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

You can but the lien holder gets paid first.  Same with a house.  Don’t see this as the same thing.  The Jets aren’t lending season ticket holders money to buy season tickets.  They have an installment plan and they are protected by not releasing tickets before they’re paid for.  Seems sensible for both sides.  If you bought season tickets to sell and make a profit you have to buy and own them before selling.  

Right I think is said it to him in another post, you can sell but the bank wont give you title until they've been paid.  Like the Jets will let him sell his tickets.  Once they've been paid.  I dont get whats so hard to understand, until they're paid for the tickets are the Jets property.  Seems pretty fair to me, I wouldnt complain

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Right I think is said it to him in another post, you can sell but the bank wont give you title until they've been paid.  Like the Jets will let him sell his tickets.  Once they've been paid.  I dont get whats so hard to understand, until they're paid for the tickets are the Jets property.  Seems pretty fair to me, I wouldnt complain

Ok if you want an example that works better I can sell my iphone despite having a year left on the installment payments. I just have to keep paying the installment payments or else its theft. Whether I am prohibited with the Jets boils down to the agreement. I used to be able to transfer any game and now I can not. And its no where in any new agreement or notification. And according to the Jets Legal Documents and terms  "The Jets reserve the right to terminate or modify these instalment plans. The Jets will provide notice as required by law. " Well they have not done what they are required to do by law. Maybe if they had provided that notification that they were required to do , I could have planned accordingly and not had to carry an extra couple of grand on my credit card at the last minute to pay off the invoice. That's just plain old customer service to a loyal customer and fan. I don't get what's so hard to understand.

No worries. Last season as a season ticket holder. I asked for a refund for this season but I couldn't get one because I already donated the joint practice with Philly to the United Way. Lol....those are $95 face going for $12, total joke. I paid the PSLs in full so they got their pound of flesh out of me, but I'm done. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/nfls-psl-scam-made-even-uglier-by-coronavirus/

18 minutes ago, BxPete said:

Ok if you want an example that works better I can sell my iphone despite having a year left on the installment payments. I just have to keep paying the installment payments or else its theft. Whether I am prohibited with the Jets boils down to the agreement. I used to be able to transfer any game and now I can not. And its no where in any new agreement or notification. And according to the Jets Legal Documents and terms  "The Jets reserve the right to terminate or modify these instalment plans. The Jets will provide notice as required by law. " Well they have not done what they are required to do by law. Maybe if they had provided that notification that they were required to do , I could have planned accordingly and not had to carry an extra couple of grand on my credit card at the last minute to pay off the invoice. That's just plain old customer service to a loyal customer and fan. I don't get what's so hard to understand.

No worries. Last season as a season ticket holder. I asked for a refund for this season but I couldn't get one because I already donated the joint practice with Philly to the United Way. Lol....those are $95 face going for $12, total joke. I paid the PSLs in full so they got their pound of flesh out of me, but I'm done. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/nfls-psl-scam-made-even-uglier-by-coronavirus/

Oh jeez, dont you get it?  Youre wrong and no one agrees with you

You asked and the simple as can be reason was given to you, you dont own your tickets, you cant sell them.  Know why I'm right?  Because you cant sell your tickets.

BTW, You take your iPhone, decide to leave Verizon for another carrier, you have to pay for the phone, you arent allowed to continue to make payments to Verizon.  You can sell it and not tell them, continuing to make payments and they wont unlock it.  Youre just going to keep bringing up other lease type deal that dont make your case

Everyone has a different take on PSLs.  We have one here who swears they were "investment gold".  Obviously hes not sharp with finances.  But whoever signed up for them and believed they would be an "investment" needs they head examined.