Six in the Mix? Jets Should Have Half Dozen Rookie Draft Picks Starting Week 1

bvwo51zahoyswiql26ih.jpg

As the 2021 season draws closer, a combination of mounting injuries and impressive performances could (or should) lead the Jets to have six of their 22 week 1 starters come from their 2021 draft class with both sides of the ball well represented.

Head coach Robert Saleh said he expects wide receiver Elijah Moore and left guard Alijah Vera-Tucker to be ready for week 1 as the duo will look to support rookie starting quarterback Zach Wilson.  We won’t count running back Michael Carter among the starters, but it’s fair to expect Carter to carry a fair bit of the load out of the backfield.

On defense, Saleh told reporters that he expects rookie linebacker Jamien Sherwood to step in for the injured Jarrad Davis who isn’t expected back until around week six, giving Sherwood ample time to show what he can do.  Opposite Sherwood will be Hamsah Nasirildeen, who has been running with the 1’s from the day he was drafted.  Both linebackers are converted college safeties which will fit what the Jets are trying to do on defense as they look to get more athletic as a unit.

That brings us to the final rookie who should (but may not) get the starting nod at cornerback in Brandin Echols.  With so few pre-season games and not enough reps to go around, the sample size is small, but Echols has been the only corner who has made any plays while also earning praise throughout camp.

In the Jets pre-season opener Echols picked up a pass break up deep down the field against the Giants with a perfectly timed leap that allowed him to swat the deep ball away before picking up an interception this past week against the Packers.

Following the release of Corey Ballentine, There’s not much in the cupboard for the Jets at cornerback and outside of Bryce Hall and Echols, none have been all that impressive.

Robert Saleh has talked about the importance of letting the kids play and learn and it would appear that was more than just coach speak as Gang Green prepares to roll the kids out there and see what they can do.

The post Six in the Mix? Jets Should Have Half Dozen Rookie Draft Picks Starting Week 1 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/qWdhOwqwTwA

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

QB: Zach Wilson.  

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

RB: Michael Carter.  

WR: Elijah Moore.  

OLB: Hamsah Nasirildeen. 

OLB: Jamien Sherwood. 

Only time will tell on which one's make it and which one's don't but imo this 2021 draft class looks to have the potential to become an All-Time great Jets draft class. 

If our top 4 draft picks all flourish on Offense, Joe Douglass can provide coach Saleh with 3 Defensive players at DE Edge Rusher, Blue Chip CB and a smashmouth SS during our 1st two rounds.

(just plz draft Iowas Center for Mawae/Mangold Vol. 3).

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This is a great sign for the future but not a great sign for the present.

If I am JD and the Johnsons I am focusing on protecting Wilson, developing the offense and letting the defensive players play.  

It does seem like they finally get it.  Something they should have gotten 20 years ago.  

At this point, in today's NFL.  QB is pretty much the only thing that matters. 

I dont see how you could trust AVT in a starting role if he's not going to practice/play again before the season starts.  Moore obviously a little different because you can have packages/situational down and distance plays.  Echols shouldnt touch the field.  

I know we're riding high off preseason, rightfully so, Zach has been better than advertised but me thinks the regular season is going to be a reality check.

Just now, JiFapono said:

I dont see how you could trust AVT in a starting role if he's not going to practice/play again before the season starts.  Moore obviously a little different because you can have packages/situational down and distance plays.  Echols shouldnt touch the field.  

I know we're riding high off preseason, rightfully so, Zach has been better than advertised but me thinks the regular season is going to be a reality check.

AVT is due back today I believe. Although even if not I'd trust him with one arm before I'd trust Feeney. He'll start.

I think the offence is going to be better than it's been, which is isn't saying much but should be enough for now. I do think Moore may be a star in the making. Tough to buy too much into camp reports but with him it just feels a bit different, certainly feels like there's zero bust potential there. 

Obviously there'll be tough moments with such a young team, I think week 2 especially could be rough but so long as the young players look like they belong then it will be something to build on going forward. 

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

If your other option is Feeney then I'd rather start a trash can.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

AVT is due back today I believe. Although even if not I'd trust him with one arm before I'd trust Feeney. He'll start.

I think the offence is going to be better than it's been, which is isn't saying much but should be enough for now. I do think Moore may be a star in the making. Tough to buy too much into camp reports but with him it just feels a bit different, certainly feels like there's zero bust potential there. 

Obviously there'll be tough moments with such a young team, I think week 2 especially could be rough but so long as the young players look like they belong then it will be something to build on going forward. 

That's good to hear on AVT.  He needs the reps.  I wouldnt love the idea of him just jumping back into the starter job without some additional work.  Moore could be great long term but I think the deck is stacked against him this season, could be wrong but I wouldnt expect a break out performance with a rookie QB and rookie OC playing on a bad Football team in this division. 

I have extremely low expectations for this season, I'm just hoping for constant improvement and few flashes from the young bucks.

• Upvote 1