Carolina Fan: Your sloppy seconds...

25 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Feelings on the Anderson extension?

Had a good start to the year, but faded, and only ended up with 3 TDs.

This site was pretty mixed on letting him go.

Robby didn't fade. Bridgewater did. That's why he's gone.

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Building a team from Jets castoffs is like going for the chess club’s sloppy seconds.

Don't be dissing chess club women. The most wild woman sexually I have met was a geeky super conservative librarian looking girl that loved chess.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Darnold was cursed with absolutely horrific coaching and by far the worst assortment of talent surrounding him that any qb had to deal with.  Through it all he never complained and handled everything with aplomb.

My guess is he'll look much better this year and the jaded haters on this board will attribute his success to McCaffrey and your OC.

Darnold will be just fine.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, genot said:

Here we go1973114634_giphy(21).gif.7beef46169a15a0e370cab2ee917e547.gif

Even if you have some faith Sam can be good, still an idiotic move considering delta between the option and the franchise tag.  The Panthers are betting $20M to maybe “save” $7M with no odds. Holding onto the franchise option would’ve also given the Panthers a season to evaluate. Plus, they could always resign him. The only way he plays under the terms of the option is if his play in 2021 hasn’t earned it. Very dumb move.

I think Sam's biggest challenge last season was being hit on the 3rd step of a 3 step drop before he had even had time to look up.  I don't think I have ever seen a line play worse than the Jets did for the first 8+ games last year, to the point that Sam was shellshocked.  Play after play with the middle of the line just falling in on him is rough.  Once he started having no time to do anything, his game fell apart.  He could put it together , maybe, but all in all I think he's a blitz away from a pick-6 every time he drops back.

• Upvote 1

Darnold can play better than he did with Gase. He does have athletic talent but was lost on the field. He needs a coach that is a terrific teacher and needs a system that can overcome his flaws. It could emphasis the run game to make the passing game easier. I think he can play better, maybe decent enough to make the playoffs if the team was loaded with talent. But I can't imagine him ever being a great QB. You have to be able to outwit the D on the field to be great, and I can't remember a case of him doing it in 3 yrs. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Don't be dissing chess club women. The most wild woman sexually I have met was a geeky super conservative librarian looking girl that loved chess.

Well slap my ass and call me “Poindexter.”

11 minutes ago, Origen said:

I think Sam's biggest challenge last season was being hit on the 3rd step of a 3 step drop before he had even had time to look up.  I don't think I have ever seen a line play worse than the Jets did for the first 8+ games last year, to the point that Sam was shellshocked.  Play after play with the middle of the line just falling in on him is rough.  Once he started having no time to do anything, his game fell apart.  He could put it together , maybe, but all in all I think he's a blitz away from a pick-6 every time he drops back.

This has been thoroughly debunked many times— @Jetsfan80

Also doesn’t explain how Herbert and Burrow were somehow able to look like competent QBs as rookies with putrid OLs. Chargers were ranked dead last in pass blocking, IIRC, and Burrows knee ligaments were spaghettified.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

Even if you have some faith Sam can be good, still an idiotic move considering delta between the option and the franchise tag.  The Panthers are betting $20M to maybe “save” $7M with no odds. Holding onto the franchise option would’ve also given the Panthers a season to evaluate. Plus, they could always resign him. The only way he plays under the terms of the option is if his play in 2021 hasn’t earned it. Very dumb move.

I was watching Sam's rookie highlights. I know it's highlights. He made a bunch of quick release throws in the pocket. Those throws had a lot of zip and we're very accurate. To me this is his chance to step it up from his rookie year. He had NO chance when Gase was hired. Because of Gase, his lack of proper tutoring. And the pathetic group of people he relied on to get open and run correct routes. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SR24 said:

It’s actually pretty refreshing knowing our offense this year isn’t going to be Darnold rolling out to the sideline and then forcing a 3yd pass to crowder on 3rd and 9

As opposed to rolling out and running OB for a loss?

45 minutes ago, Pac said:

Darnold was cursed with absolutely horrific coaching and by far the worst assortment of talent surrounding him that any qb had to deal with.  Through it all he never complained and handled everything with aplomb.

My guess is he'll look much better this year and the jaded haters on this board will attribute his success to McCaffrey and your OC.

Nothing isn't true here. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, genot said:

I was watching Sam's rookie highlights. I know it's highlights. He made a bunch of quick release throws in the pocket. Those throws had a lot of zip and we're very accurate. To me this is his chance to step it up from his rookie year. He had NO chance when Gase was hired. Because of Gase, his lack of proper tutoring. And the pathetic group of people he relied on to get open and run correct routes. 

Yeah I hear ya but my point is the 5th year option still doesn’t make sense 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Pac said:

Except this completely ignores reality and history. Darnold “haters” have already proven they are willing to change their opinion of him based on his performance on the field. We all started loving him. Meanwhile, those who still support him have done so unwaveringly, ignoring reality all the while. It is infinitely more likely that the OL, coaching, CMAC getting hurt, no true WR1, no pass-catching TE, etc ad infinitum will be among the myriad of excuses foisted to excuse yet another terrible season by Sam. Same as it ever was.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I hear ya but my point is the 5th year option still doesn’t make sense 

They could have a backup in Sam. They could have what we drafted him to be. A franchise QB. They probably wanted to show Sam that they believed in him, and wanted to take some of the pressure off him. To them it was worth the risk. We'll see

6 minutes ago, genot said:

They could have a backup in Sam. They could have what we drafted him to be. A franchise QB. They probably wanted to show Sam that they believed in him, and wanted to take some of the pressure off him. To them it was worth the risk. We'll see

$20M backup. Lol. 

They already had two ways to keep him under team control after this year if he played well: franchise tag or new contract.

Instead they put $20M guaranteed on the table when they didn’t have to that now must be paid even if he sucks eggs.

If he’s amazing, they’ll resign him long term after this season anyway. The only way he gets paid that $20M option is if he doesn’t earn it by playing well.

It is one of the dumbest football decisions that I can remember in recent history.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

$20M backup. Lol. 

They already had two ways to keep him under team control after this year if he played well: franchise tag or new contract.

Instead they put $20M guaranteed on the table when they didn’t have to that now must be paid even if he sucks eggs.

It is one of the dumbest football decisions with the information available at the time that I can remember in recent history.

Darnold is the NFL equivalent of dog waste.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Darnold is the NFL equivalent of dog waste.

A lot of people disagree with you. I certainly do. Your tio sure of what the outcome will be. with regards to Sam, you and others, who i enjoy posting with, have entered the DWC school of posters. With regards to Sam, and Sam alone 

Just now, genot said:

A lot of people disagree with you. I certainly do. Your tio sure of what the outcome will be. with regards to Sam, you and others, who i enjoy posting with, have entered the DWC school of posters. With regards to Sam, and Sam alone 

Stop.  Your Darnold love does not fly here.  He proved he sucked in spades.   Go to the Carolina if you want to laude or discuss the  the guy.  Your words on Darnold's potential mean less than zero.

200.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Yeah well 95% chance he continues to suck is good cause for confidence

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Robby's last 100 yard game was week 5.  Both DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel had 3 100 yard games after week 5.

Anderson was outperformed by two other WRs.

Good points made. They changed coverages to slow Robby down. ?????I know reading Panthers forum they complained about Bridgewater not being able to get the ball downfield beyond a certain point.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Stop.  Your Darnold love does not fly here.  He proved he sucked in spades.   Go to the Carolina if you want to laude or discuss the  the guy.  Your words on Darnold's potential mean less than zero.

200.gif

Are you serious. I don't think so. If you are, you must know this thread. Was started by someone else. Every tbread since he was traded about Sam was started by someone else. Probably a dozen or more. Am i right?

Just now, genot said:

Are you serious. I don't think so. If you are, you must know this thread. Was started by someone else. Every tbread since he was traded about Sam was started by someone else. Probably a dozen or more. Am i right?

As a Darnold fan, you might appreciate this.  And I'll share it with the Carolina OP and others as well.

I'm getting up there in age, so this stuff does not happen every day.  Anyway, the other night in bed, my wife goes full spur of the moment and asks me if she could please me in an "oral fashion".  Without missing a beat, I said, "You're such a great wife and my sweetheart.  But no, I'm okay.  No need.  In case you haven't heard, Sam Darnold is no longer a Jet."

Then, I kissed her goodnight and slept like a baby.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pac said:

One thing we can't blame the Jets for is Sam Darnold being a turnover machine. That's all on Sam Darnold himself.  

Where were the Jets when Sam Darnold had 17 High School Fumbles in comparison to Zach Wilson who had 0 High School fumbles?

Or better yet...

Where were the Jets back then as Sam Darnold was surrounded by 4-5 star recruits @ legendary USC?

Sam Darnold @ USC tossed 22 INTs and fumbled 20 times (14 lost) for a total of 36 turnovers despite only 27 games. 

I wish I would've known this crap about Sam heading into the draft but I didn't. I went into the Rose Bowl game a big time Saquon Barkley fan (threads on JN to prove it) and walked away a Sam Darnold believer. He tricked us all. Because of one Rose Bowl game.  

Does anyone really believe going to Carolina will magically cure him of his turnovers that's plagued him @ High School/USC/NYJ? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Guess who else sucks on bad teams? Bad QBs.

"Situation bad" does not automatically equal "QB good."

Archie Manning played on bad teams. He didn't suck i never said Darnold, away from the Jet's will become a pro bowler. All i said was, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he doe's well elsewhere. He was in a terrible soot here the last two years. Terrible.