1997 Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator 4-12-0 0-0
1996 San Francisco 49ers Quarterbacks Coach 12-4-0 1-1
1995 Arizona Cardinals Quarterbacks Coach 4-12-0 0-0
1994 Arizona Cardinals Quarterbacks Coach 8-8-0 0-0
1993 Pittsburgh Panthers Tight Ends Coach 3-8-0
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, David Harris said:

What a shame about Knapp.  Steve Young touted him so high for ZW (not being insensitive about the loss of life of course).  

Cavanaugh was the QB coach for the 49ers in 1996. Knapp was on the staff then as an Offense QC coach and Young was the QB. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

He was our QB coach during the Sanchez years?

Not sure how to feel about that.

Coaches coach the players they get.  I'd be a lot more worried if he had been part of the group that drafted Sanchez.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Ravens OC: Ravens fans friends of mine had zero love for him as OC in Baltimore.

2008 -2012: QB Coach for Clemens, Sanchez. Hated him on the Jets. I believe  contributed to Sanchez's failure to develop.

2013 - 2014: QB Coach Chicago Bears - Jay Cutler

2015 -2016: QB Coach Washington - Kirk Cousins

2017 -2019 OC, Sr. OC for that legendary Washington offense.

Res Ipsa Loquitor.

The only good thing you can say is that he has a lot of experience.  Not very good experience, but experience. Ravens fans did not like him as OC back then. He did win a SB there.

As a Jets fan, one can only hope to get past the sickening sense of deja vu with Cavanaugh back.

8 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

He was our QB coach during the Sanchez years?

Not sure how to feel about that.

Like I said earlier, for all of his flaws, Mark had beautiful mechanics and footwork.  That was all Cavanaugh.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

6 minutes ago, addage said:

Coaches coach the players they get.  I'd be a lot more worried if he had been part of the group that drafted Sanchez.

I guess I shouldn't be too nit-picky about this hiring, considering the circumstances. More veteran wisdom around Wilson and this young coaching staff should be a good thing.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Safe to say every year there's 25-28 NFL fanbases that hate their OC. 

Wondering when Saleh's staff was announced if Knapp's OC record was as scrutinized. 

Cavanaugh is here to be a sounding board, offer up observations, provide his ideas and experience. It is still going to be Lafluer's (and to a lesser degree Benton's) decision what to do w/that info.

Thank you. Makes me feel better. As long as they are NOT putting Wilson directly under Cavansughs supervision I'm not yet on the ledge. No Jets fan should have any love for this guy's tome here before.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Thank you. Makes me feel better. As long as they are NOT putting Wilson directly under Cavansughs supervision I'm not yet on the ledge. No Jets fan should have any love for this guy's tome here before.

There is also Rob Calabrese who is the QB coach

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Rob Calabrese is the QBs coach and we know LaFleur is OC

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

So it was Cavanaugh's fault Sanchez didn't improve?  He was the QB coach.  No blame directed AT Sanchez and/or Schotty?

Do any of us know just how much coaches truly affect a players overall performance..

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Worst possible hire ever!!!!!!

he already Fücked up in developing Sanchez, how in the hell!!! Will he help Wilson?!?!!??

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Why do I feel like we hated and complained about this guy during his time here? 

If it means anything, I don't get this either.   

• Sympathy 1

As others have of course already pointed out, the initial reaction upon seeing Cavanaugh's name was hardly the greatest, based on past memories of his time with the team.  With that said, bringing a guy with a ton more coaching experience into the room isn't a bad thing for this group, and it's tough to completely ignore when he's been doing this in the NFL for as long as he has.

I'd still be less than thrilled if he were thrust into a high-level position, but as offensive assistant he is just one of a great many voices in the room.  If we come to think that alone is a problem, then it automatically brings into question faith in both Saleh and LaFleur, so I'm ok with giving this one the benefit of the doubt, particularly considering it's only an addition.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Good old grey beard to coach the lad 

he’s got lots of experience 

At losing, not having QBs or offenses IMPROVE under him, yeah…….lots of experience, AT SUCKING!

I was also skeptical of Knapp who’s record wasn’t that eye-popping either, but at least he’s been lauded by Steve Young. Who’s ever praised Matt “F’n” CavaNOT?!!!?

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

Safe to say every year there's 25-28 NFL fanbases that hate their OC. 

Wondering when Saleh's staff was announced if Knapp's OC record was as scrutinized. 

Cavanaugh is here to be a sounding board, offer up observations, provide his ideas and experience. It is still going to be Lafluer's (and to a lesser degree Benton's) decision what to do w/that info.

Its like baseball fans who think their team isnt hitting because of the hitting coach.

But you have to love the idea that the QB has nothing to do with failing, its the QB coaches fault

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Good old grey beard to coach the lad 

he’s got lots of experience 

Personally I think Cavanaugh is here to be a sounding board for
LaFleur & Calabrese as they develop the offense and Wilson

• Upvote 1