Crusher's Nightmare

@The Crusher Deep breaths.

(CNN)A dozen people have been hospitalized with salmonella and two dozen sickened as of August 24 in multistate outbreaks of two different strains of salmonella, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Wednesday.

Three dozen people have been hospitalized or sickened with salmonella after eating deli meats.

Three dozen people have been hospitalized or sickened with salmonella after eating deli meats. 

People who became sick reported eating salami, prosciutto and other deli meats that can be found in antipasto or charcuterie assortments before their illness.
"Investigators are working to identify specific contaminated products and determine if the two outbreaks are linked to the same food source," the CDC said.

"Until we identify which Italian-style meats are making people sick, heat all Italian-style meats to an internal temperature of 165°F or until steaming hot before eating if you are at higher risk," the CDC advised.
You are at higher risk from a severe salmonella sickness if you are 65 years or older, have a chronic health or immune-compromising condition, or take any medications that lower your immunity and your body's ability to fight germs. 
"Children younger than 5 years are also more likely to get very sick from Salmonella," the CDC said.

Multi-state outbreak

The case count of infections of both outbreaks is likely much larger, the CDC said, as it can take weeks for reports of illness to be alerted, counted and investigated. In addition, the CDC said, many people could have mild illnesses that are not reported.
A strain of salmonella called Typhimurium infected a group of 23 people from 14 states between the end of May and July 27, the CDC said. Laboratory testing found that 20 of these cases were resistant to common antibiotics such as chloramphenicol, streptomycin, sulfamethoxazole and tetracycline.
Nine people have been hospitalized, but no deaths have been reported.
The states involved in the Typhimurium outbreak are: Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Virginia, Maryland and Indiana. 

A different strain

Another 13 people were infected between early May and the end of June with a strain called Salmonella Infantis, which typically strikes children under 2. Those sickened ranged in age from 1 to 74 years; of those, three have reportedly been hospitalized. 
No deaths have been reported, and laboratory testing found no antibiotic resistance. 
The states involved in the Infantis strain outbreak include Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Texas, Minnesota and New York.

Symptoms of salmonella

Symptoms of salmonella usually begin within 12 to 72 hours of consuming contaminated food. These can include diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever that lasts between four and seven days, the CDC said.
Most people recover on their own, but those who experience persistent diarrhea may need to be hospitalized. In rare cases, the infection can enter the bloodstream and cause severe illness.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I like how they say to heat the salumi to 165 degrees.  lol  Who would ever do that?  Would ruin the point of a cured meat.

My mom use to do the fried pepperoni in leftover Sunday gravy as a snack back  in the day. Shit was fat kid giggle good. Also my Dad use to make a sandwich he called a steak bomb.. Pan fry green peppers, onions, thinly sliced rump roast, fried salami. Then hollow out half a loaf of good crusty Italian bread. Shove all that stuff inside with mozzarella and then put the bread cap back on and bake it a bit. Shit was good AF. but yea typically, heating cured meats is madness. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

My mom use to do the fried pepperoni in leftover Sunday gravy as a snack back  in the day. sh*t was fat kid giggle good. Also my Dad use to make a sandwich he called a steak bomb.. Pan fry green peppers, onions, thinly sliced rump roast, fried salami. Then hollow out half a loaf of good crusty Italian bread. Shove all that stuff inside with mozzarella and then put the bread cap back on and bake it a bit. sh*t was good AF. but yea typically, heating cured meats is madness. 

Oh yeah, no doubt I've made dishes where the salumi are cooked.  Been years, but I loved Saltimbocca alla Romana.   And salami and eggs is fantastic. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...