When did the jets become a “good situation”?

k-met57

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

1) Is it possible that the situation, while obviously very important, is a tad bit overrated and that Wilson is just good? 

2) Is it possible that it is way too early for any of this?

I remember all this talk when REX was coach.   he only had 2 winning seasons and that went away quickly…..    

• Upvote 2

Weird.  I dont necessarily pay attention to the talking heads but it's unavoidable for the most part and I've yet to hear anyone say the Jets are a good situation. Vegas has us winning 6 games, tied with the Jaguars and 1 game better than the Texans and Lions.

Long term? Who the F knows.  We have no clue how this coaching staff is going to work out and there is a huge question mark on if JD is actually good at his job.  The reality is, the roster is terrible, bottom 5 in the league easily.  I'm personally prepared for a long ugly season so its confusing to me how you can make any long term predictions in August but hot takes have to be heard....daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, genot said:

The hiring of Saleh, and his hiring of well regarded group of coaches, was key. Especially Lafleur who is running a proven system, with a QB who fits it very well.

Rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie DC.   We know nothing about this coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Weird.  I dont necessarily pay attention to the talking heads but it's unavoidable for the most part and I've yet to hear anyone say the Jets are a good situation. Vegas has us winning 6 games, tied with the Jaguars and 1 game better than the Texans and Lions.

Long term? Who the F knows.  We have no clue how this coaching staff is going to work out and there is a huge question mark on if JD is actually good at his job.  The reality is, the roster is terrible, bottom 5 in the league easily.  I'm personally prepared for a long ugly season so its confusing to me how you can make any long term predictions in August but hot takes have to be heard....daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On paper, the defense looks abysmal to me, so I'm with you. 

I will be extremely impressed with Saleh if we end up having anything approaching a good NFL defense. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

1) Is it possible that the situation, while obviously very important, is a tad bit overrated and that Wilson is just good? 

2) Is it possible that it is way too early for any of this?

I have been thinking this too. Maybe Wilson would be what he is anywhere. I mean every season the top rookies sort of almost become obvious from Day 1 of camp across the league. Elijah flashed instantly. Wilson flashed instantly. We'll never know on the nature/nurture things but it seems like Wilson is just a different level of talent.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Saleh has a stellar reputation. With players, and with organizations around the league. LaFluer is running a proven system. A system he learned from Kyle Shanahan. Who has been well respected for years. 

People answering your question are missing the point that Wilson’s situation is being touted as why he’s looked good. The situation is actually is a big question mark. Wilson’s individual shine is propping up new narratives about “situation”. 

So in the end, it’s a safer take to claim Wilson is in a better situation than to analyze that Wilson might’ve been a better prospect than Lawrence. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Mina Kimes has better football takes then a vast majority of her male counterparts.

Agreed, IMHO, Mina is great and can cover virtually anything - sports, wall street, film - would be great person to have around for a conversation. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

People answering your question are missing the point that Wilson’s situation is being touted as why he’s looked good. The situation in actually is a big question mark. However, it is Wilson’s individual shine that is propping up new narratives about “situation”. 

So in the end, it’s a safer take to claim Wilson is in a better situation than to analyze that Wilson might’ve been a better prospect than Lawrence. 

Exactly.

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Mina Kimes has better football takes then a vast majority of her male counterparts.

Agree to disagree. They are all horrible. Orlovsky is ok but he is too afraid of his own shadow to say anything less then positive (still reeling from the lazy black QB thing).

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I dont normally complain about these things, but all i heard in April and May was how the Jets were the worst and SF was the best landing spot for young QB’s. Zach Wilson has 2 good games, Lawrence plays like the poor mans Mac Jones, Fields gets blown out of his cleats and all I’ve heard this past week is how Lawrence and Fields are in worse situations then Wilson and thats why Wilson is the better long term player. Literally the only guy in sports media that gets it is Chris Simms.

secondary point….Mina Kimes is terrible.

ok done.

Where to start?

The owners (finally!!) hires a capable GM.  The GM has a mediocre first draft with the old guard's scouting group (thus, beating the past 2 gm's hands down).  He puts  in place his scouting department and produces what appears to be a very strong 2nd draft (early, early ,early...but promising).

The GM then trades Jamal Adams for Manhattan Island.  Oops, scratch that.  For 2 #1's and a #3.  New GM manages cap exceptionally well.

Ownership is so awed that they decide (finally!!) their GM knows more about football than they do.  Give him real power.

The rope holding Coach Boat Anchor is cut from the Jets ship of state.  What appears to be a very fine coaching staff is hired.  Jets have instant credibility.

So, yes, the Jets have become a good place to be.  Doesn't mean we are going to win 7 games this year, but look out in 2022.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

I dont normally complain about these things, but all i heard in April and May was how the Jets were the worst and SF was the best landing spot for young QB’s. Zach Wilson has 2 good games, Lawrence plays like the poor mans Mac Jones, Fields gets blown out of his cleats and all I’ve heard this past week is how Lawrence and Fields are in worse situations then Wilson and thats why Wilson is the better long term player. Literally the only guy in sports media that gets it is Chris Simms.

secondary point….Mina Kimes is terrible.

ok done.

Actually Colin Cowherd has never said that about the Jets. He says the opposite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Except the first two preseason games this group chock full of rookies performed rather succinctly as a football team. Haven’t seen that here in a bit. But yeah, no f-ing idea if they even survive this season. Oooof 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Icer said:

No one thinks the Jets have a better situation than the 49ers

Everyone knows the Jets are in a better situation and have a better future than San Fransisco. 

• San Fransisco has no available 2022 Salary Cap Space (our $61M vs. their $7M).

Screenshot_20210826-204328_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cf134db5ad8c2641237a84132ecbc56b.jpg

San Fransisco has 0 1st round picks over the next two years compared to our Jets who've got 3 1st round picks over the next two years. 

No NFL GM would ever trade the Jets current situation for the 49ers awful current situation. 

30 minutes ago, genot said:

Saleh has a stellar reputation. With players, and with organizations around the league. LaFluer is running a proven system. A system he learned from Kyle Shanahan. Who has been well respected for years. 

A stellar reputation means nothing.  Todd Bowles has a stellar reputation.  Everyone learns a system from someone but LaFluer has never run a system.  We dont know anything about how the team will perform under these guys.  It's great to be excited about them, I'm am very excited.  I really like the structure and approach but I have absolutely no idea how this is going to pan out.  Nobody does.

• Upvote 1

Correct. 
And we have won 2 preseason games. People need to calm down and let the season play out. It's like people haven't watched the Jets before. 

The Jets faithful have watched Jets football and more importantly Jets QB play. They have witnessed crappy QB play for the past 13 years, you could say the Jets faithful are experts at watching it. So watching Zach’s QB play is foreign to them. Something they only witness with other team’s QB. With Zach at QB, the Jets look like they have solved the QB position, as long as the coaching staff don’t screw it up. He has all the tools, the intelligence and a QB friendly offensive system to be a top QB in this league and it’s not just the Jets faithful who think this, many scouts and evaluator feel the same way.

And I’m all in.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The minute the short sighted lol jets tools realized that mr generational was going to have to go to jacksonville and the moment Zac Wilson started looking good.

The fools had to change the narrative to support their stupid earlier comments.

And yeah Mina kimes is awful, she may not have started out being awful but she has fallen into the same state as many of the national media.

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The Jets faithful have watched Jets football and more importantly Jets QB play. They have witnessed crappy QB play for the past 13 years, you could say the Jets faithful are experts at watching it. So watching Zach’s QB play is foreign to them. Something they only witness with other team’s QB. With Zach at QB, the Jets look like they have solved the QB position, as long as the coaching staff don’t screw it up. He has all the tools, the intelligence and a QB friendly offensive system to be a top QB in this league and it’s not just the Jets faithful who think this, many scouts and evaluator feel the same way.

And I’m all in.

I like what I see from Wilson, and I agree, he has a lot of talent, all the tools. etc.

But history has taught me to tread lightly when it comes to the Jets. 

• Haha 1