Is this the most unheralded starting defense in Jets history?

Salehery

You’ve Quinnen Williams, CJ Mosley, Marcus Maye and Rankins. 

joyner is a mid tier FA

Other than that it’s a ton of question marks. 

Sherwood, Nasirdeen, Bryce Hall, Bless Austin, Bryce Huff, JFM, Foley, Bless, Guidry-all late round guys, camp bodies, UDFAs

• WTF? 1

31 minutes ago, Salehery said:

You’ve Quinnen Williams, CJ Mosley, Marcus Maye and Rankins. 

Other than that it’s a ton of question marks. 

Sherwood, Nasirdeen, Bryce Hall, Bless Austin, Bryce Huff, JFM, Foley-all late round guys, camp bodies, UDFAs

JFM is a beast and I don't know too much about everyone just yet but some of these kids like Hamsah Nasirildeen and Bryce Hall can become absolute NFL STARS and as an FSU fan and crazed for ACC Football I freaking loved those two ACC blue chip prospects.  

Quinnen Williams, C.J. Mosley, Marcus Maye, Lamarcus Joyner, Sheldon Rankins and Jarrad Davis (he'll be back) as our veteran leaders. 

With...

Folo Fatukasi (D-Line).

John Franklin-Myers (D-Line).

Bryce Huff (DE).

Jabari Zuniga (DE).

Hamsah Nasirildeen (OLB).

Jamien Sherwood (OLB).

Bryce Hall (CB).

Bless Austin (CB).

Javelin Guidry (Nickel Back).

Brandin Echols (Nickel Back).

Michael Carter (Nickel Back).

Jason Pinnock (CB). 

Blake Cashman (LB).

I'm fired up about all of these kids because Football is a young man's game.

And I believe this Defense especially our CBs are super talented, inexperienced but yet extremely talented and you forgot to mention one mans name...

Coach Robert Saleh.

They'll be mistakes of growing pains along the way due to youth but I believe this will become a top 5 Defense and this Defense is going to play FAST and play on ? and most importantly being led by coach Saleh/C.J. Mosley/Quinnen Williams (and that's a heck of a trio).

58 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Utterly laughable stuff.

Did you guy even watch the games? @T0mShane has infected the minds of everyone with his nonsense.

Half the defense was turned over, biggest lie told on this board.  Mangini left Rex with Kellen Clemens and Chansi Stuckey.  lol

• Upvote 1

It’s like anything else. If the offense comes around then the defense job is much easier and even if the players aren’t that we’ll known they’ll do pretty well.  But even as they are there are players that will have some good recognition besides maye or Williams, etc.  some of these no name players have made some good plays. The big key is can they do it week in and week out?

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Half the defense was turned over, biggest lie told on this board.  Mangini left Rex with Kellen Clemens and Chansi Stuckey.  lol

18th ranked defence in points allows. 16th ranked in yards. Rex bested the league in both.

Mangini’s defence allowed 23 passing TD’s, 14 INT’s and 6.1 net yards per attempt.

Rex allowed 8 TD’s, had 17 INT’s and allowed only 4.6 net yards per attempt.

Same units though. Totally. Morons.

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

But give him credit he took those players and made a top 5 Defense. Like Parcells took a 1-15 team to a respectable 9-7 with same players 

Parcells took a pretty good roster with a starting QB and proceeded to blow their chance to make the playoffs with one of the worst HC game management decisions we may ever see.  He was spectacularly stuborn in his hate of O'Donnel.  

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Parcells took a pretty good roster with a starting QB and proceeded to blow their chance to make the playoffs with one of the worst HC game management decisions we may ever see.  He was spectacularly stuborn in his hate of O'Donnel.  

True but point is that the took the same team that went 1-15 to 9-7 

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Unheralded?

19789999.jpg.bf271bf1d95060ad6fe0b13d3fa7afc2.jpg

Look at the starting defense 

DT-Quinnen Willliams-3rd overall pick

DT-Sheldon Rankins-Mid/Top tier FA

DE-John Franklin Myers-Claimed off waivers 

DE-Bryce Huff-2nd year UDFA

OLB-Jamien Sherwood-Day 3 rookie 

MLB-CJ Mosley-Big ticket FA

OLB-Hamsah Nasirildeen-Day 3 rookie 

CB-Bryce Hall-Day 3 2nd year player 

SS-Marcus Maye-2nd round pick/franchise player 

FS-Larmarcus Joyner-mid tier free agent 

CB-Bless Austin Day 3 third year player 

Slot-Javelin Guidry- 2nd year UDFA 

3 hours ago, CSNY said:

But give him credit he took those players and made a top 5 Defense. Like Parcells took a 1-15 team to a respectable 9-7 with same players 

He did, for two years we had one hell of a defense but we started fading 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

It wasnt with MOSTLY Mangini players?

Denying it is the laughable part here

It wasn’t, at all.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2009_roster.htm

He actually had less than Rex and Herm. 3 Mangini era starters on defence - Harris, Revis and Pace. Even if I’m kind and include Kris Jenkins who played 6 games there’s still as many from Herm’s regime  - Pouha, Ellis, Thomas and Rhodes.

Rex brought in Bart Scott who was the emotional leader of the team and who along with Leonhard helped transition to Rex’s dominant scheme. He took a unit that was barely top 20 the previous year and turned it into a unit that was top 20 all time, at least it was at the time 17th best ever I believe.

The lengths the Mangini apologists will go to overstate that useless prick’s role on Rex’s teams are just embarrassing. The most pathetic reaching you’ll ever see to make a point with no basis in reality. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The lengths the Mangini apologists will go to overstate that useless prick’s role on Rex’s teams are just embarrassing. The most pathetic reaching you’ll ever see to make a point with no basis in reality. 

Good to see the REAL Mangini being exposed [yet again]. He took a Herm Edwards team and made the playoffs once. Also lobbied for the worst Jets draft pick of all time, Vernon Ghost-on (sp). Yeah, he was on the Supranos and looked stupid in that too.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It wasn’t, at all.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2009_roster.htm

He actually had less than Rex and Herm. 3 Mangini era starters on defence - Harris, Revis and Pace. Even if I’m kind and include Kris Jenkins who played 6 games there’s still as many from Herm’s regime  - Pouha, Ellis, Thomas and Rhodes.

Rex brought in Bart Scott who was the emotional leader of the team and who along with Leonhard helped transition to Rex’s dominant scheme. He took a unit that was barely top 20 the previous year and turned it into a unit that was top 20 all time, at least it was at the time 17th best ever I believe.

I dont care when they started their Jet careers, most of the defensive players on Rexs squad were on Manginis the year before.  I wasnt crediting Mangini as if he were a GM.  Im saying Rex wasnt the GM who made the 2009 team what it was.  He brought in Scott and he brought in Leonhard.  

14 hours ago, varjet said:

I was more optimistic before I watched the defense tonight play. 

I was disappointed with the performance against the Packers. But, when you don't have all your guys and it's a new defense, it's not the worst. Many of these things can be corrected AND the starters should make a big difference.

That said, if we have a potent offense and a Chiefs-like defense, I'm happier...i'm tired of losing games 31-17. If we lose 41-35, at least there was some excitement.

2 hours ago, Salehery said:

Look at the starting defense 

DT-Quinnen Willliams-3rd overall pick

DT-Sheldon Rankins-Mid/Top tier FA

DE-John Franklin Myers-Claimed off waivers 

DE-Bryce Huff-2nd year UDFA

OLB-Jamien Sherwood-Day 3 rookie 

MLB-CJ Mosley-Big ticket FA

OLB-Hamsah Nasirildeen-Day 3 rookie 

CB-Bryce Hall-Day 3 2nd year player 

SS-Marcus Maye-2nd round pick/franchise player 

FS-Larmarcus Joyner-mid tier free agent