Sam Darnold looked more like 2018 Sam

Salehery

12 minutes ago, genot said:

Thats what QB's are trained to do, when thier not coached by Gase. Take what the defense gives you, and ket your playmakers get the extra yds. No Sam wasn't perfect. When he is perfect, maybe you'll give an objective opinion about how well he played

Or that's what you do when your playing against backups in soft zone in a pre season game. Lets see what happens when the games count

6 minutes ago, Icer said:

Or that's what you do when your playing against backups in soft zone in a pre season game. Lets see what happens when the games count

I know it's only pre-season. If he had a bad game. There would have been 100 posts pointing it out to prove they we're right. Last week people we're talking about Rhule hiding Darnold because he only threw 2 passes. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, genot said:

I know it's only pre-season. If he had a bad game. There would have been 100 posts pointing it out to prove they we're right. Last week people we're talking about Rhule hiding Darnold because he only threw 2 passes. 

he did what he was suppose to do against the backups, just like Wilson. if they didnt people should be very concerned.

dont worry after seeing how bad our defense was tonight, they cant tackle in the secondary or cover and Carolina has some good WRs, Sam SHOULD light us up in week 1. i hope not, but im very worried after this poor performance. 

and if he doesnt then he really does suck cause ours starting CBs are like other teams backups. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

he did what he was suppose to do against the backups, just like Wilson. if they didnt people should be very concerned.

dont worry after seeing how bad our defense was tonight, they cant tackle in the secondary or cover and Carolina has some good WRs, Sam SHOULD light us up in week 1. i hope not, but im very worried after this poor performance. 

and if he doesnt then he really does suck cause ours starting CBs are like other teams backups. 

I root for the Jet's. Hope we win week one. Im not going to trash a player because he didn't live up to expectations here, and is now playing elsewhere. He's doing things differently in Carolina, then he did here.it's fairly obvious.

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

19/25, 162 passing yards, 1 sack, 2 TD's/0 INTs QB Rating of 119.1.

But just like hundreds of Jets fans were telling me to temper my excitement over Zach Wilson's two A+ performances...

"SAM DARNOLD'S PERFORMANCE DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE IT WAS AGAINST backups AND PRESEASON GAMES ARE meaningless" AND HE'S NOW IN HIS 4TH YEAR AND HIS STARTERS PLAYED VS SCRUBS WHO WILL WORK AT MCDONALDS NEXT YEAR". 

SOUND FAMILIAR?

It's not the stat sheet. It's how he got those yards. He took what the defense gave. The scheme leaves a receiver close by so he can check down if he's under too much pressure or nobody is open downfield. It's what real coaches who belong in the NFL do. Unlike Adam Gase

Just watched Sam on NFLN. Unimpressed.  Happy feet, check downs galore. Didn’t take shots when they were there. A couple dropped picks. 

was admittedly relieved he didn’t look that good imo and more relieved we didn’t keep that wagon hitched and got what we did for him 

great kid. Game manager.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, genot said:

I root for the Jet's. Hope we win week one. Im not going to trash a player because he didn't live up to expectations here, and is now playing elsewhere. He's doing things differently in Carolina, then he did here.it's fairly obvious.

100% ? 

It’s a worldwide pastime of all sport lovers to do this, tf you lying for? ?

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Just watched Sam on NFLN. Unimpressed.  Happy feet, check downs galore. Didn’t take shots when they were there. A couple dropped picks. 

was admittedly relieved he didn’t look that good imo and more relieved we didn’t keep that wagon hitched and got what we did for him 

great kid. Game manager.

Definitely blows, the sad part is he was only able to manage the game against Walgreens workers. 

This is your 4th year Sam you should’ve been torching those backups

Matt Rule head will roll for passing on Fields and Jones ???

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

Sam still got happy feet, he’s not much better mechanically and plays scared. I truly think he’s been David Carr-Ed.

Right? That Carolina OL is pretty bad as well. Nonetheless it seems like going from Adam Gase to Joe Brady will impact is game positively, since they will try to protect him with all of the short routes.

2 hours ago, Gramsci said:

Right? That Carolina OL is pretty bad as well. Nonetheless it seems like going from Adam Gase to Joe Brady will impact is game positively, since they will try to protect him with all of the short routes.

The problem in Carolina is they have a bunch of Corvettes at WR and it's like they're making them ride the right lane bc the offensive line is trash and the QB is not great. If any team should've traded for Stafford it should've been them. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The problem in Carolina is they have a bunch of Corvettes at WR and it's like they're making them ride the right lane bc the offensive line is trash and the QB is not great. If any team should've traded for Stafford it should've been them. 

I'm not defending Sam but what has 33 year old Matthew Stafford ever won? 

• 12 year in the league with 0 All-Pro's and only 1 meaningless Pro Bowl (2014)?

• Career losing record of 77-90 as an overrated QB?

• An 0-3 career postseason record and has never won a single playoff game?

▪︎ This guy couldn't even win with Calvin Megatron Johnson who's imo one of the 3 greatest WRs I've ever witnessed play the game of Football alongside of only Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. 

The Panthers took a small gamble on a QB with a 2nd round draft pick etc.

But the Rams were absolutely stupid for sending two 1st-round picks along with another 3rd-round pick (and Jared Goff) to the Lions and all for what? For a 33 year old QB with 0 All-Pro's, 0 career playoff wins, a career losing record of 77-90 and for a QB who couldn't even win alongside of an All-Time top 5 WR in Calvin Johnson? Would you have given up all of that for Mathew Stafford? 

The Lions fleeced the Rams and Detroit's future is now brighter because of it too.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

• 12 year in the league with 0 All-Pro's and only 1 meaningless Pro Bowl (2014)?

▪︎ This guy couldn't even win with Calvin Megatron Johnson who's imo one of the 3 greatest WRs I've ever witnessed play the game of Football alongside of only Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. 

But the Rams were absolutely stupid for sending two 1st-round picks along with another 3rd-round pick (and Jared Goff) to the Lions and all for what? For a 33 year old QB with 0 All-Pro's, 0 career playoff wins, a career losing record of 77-90 and for a QB who couldn't even win alongside of an All-Time top 5 WR in Calvin Johnson? Would you have given up all of that for Mathew Stafford? 

The Lions fleeced the Rams and Detroit's future is now brighter because of it too.

The Lions even with Johnson were not exactly a powerhouse of a team and actually pretty shocked that Stafford’s record is “ only” 13 games below 500 as I thought it would be much worse. And let’s be fair to Stafford didn’t Johnson retire around 3 - 4 years ago in the prime of his career which also contributed to Stafford having a losing record. In my opinion Stafford is better than Goff and the Rams will be a playoff contender with him at QB 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Stafford has been playing for the worst franchise in NFL since he started his career. To base his quality on his accolades seems a bit excessive. 

He is has been easily a top 15 QB since he was drafted, playing on a bad team. His arm talent is elite and in a good system, I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes as one of the top 8 qbs in the NFL. 

The trade was pretty fair, considering that no one would take on Goff's contracts, thus the additional first rounder.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

It's the smart thing to do. At least he does adjustments in game to help his players, including motions and such. 

Going from Adam Gases archaic scheme to someone who actually knows what he is doing, will be very helpful. 

But I agree, I would have gone for Stafford, but not sure if they wanted to forfeit that much draft capital when there were other suitors. 

7 hours ago, doitny said:

I agree because we have all seen this in ore season. Yet, I’m pretty sure it was always  the Achebe and collective play of our secondary. We all know they are all very green, I’d expect them to look lost in a vanilla scheme. Hopefully Saleh has something up his sleeve for the secondary. 

• Upvote 1

Watching their game now on NFL Network and even though I like Darnold as a person,
the issues he had with the Jets are still there.  Going against PIT #2/#3 defense
he still misses open receivers away from the play and he still seems confused and
hesitates when his first option is covered.  As a 4th year QB away from the "awful
Jets" he should've dominated the competition he was going against

12 hours ago, fullblast said:

I’m content with the way things have played out, but man hiring Gase set this franchise back by like 5 years.

It actually pushed us forward 5 years.  He got rid of Mac, hired Douglas, showed Sam for what he is and showed himself for what he is.

New GM coaching staff and QB in 2 years.  None of it happens without Gase. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This isnt rocket science, take a QB with any talent, have a good play caller, decent blocking and decent WR's and they will succeed. The QB is not the be all end all of the team, they are 1 of 11, the most important 1 of 11, but still 1 of 11 nonetheless. Despite what the people who never played a down of football outside of Madden will tell you.

This is terribly inaccurate.

The QB position in the NFL is, without question, the single most important position in all of sports.

The level of play of your QB will ultimately determine the success of your franchise. 

The reality is pretty much the opposite of what you stated.   In today's NFL QB is pretty much the only thing that matters 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This isnt rocket science, take a QB with any talent, have a good play caller, decent blocking and decent WR's and they will succeed. The QB is not the be all end all of the team, they are 1 of 11, the most important 1 of 11, but still 1 of 11 nonetheless. Despite what the people who never played a down of football outside of Madden will tell you.

So why couldn’t Teddy Bridgewater find success for Carolina last year, you know, since it’s this simple.  He has talent too.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is terribly inaccurate.

The QB position in the NFL is, without question, the single most important position in all of sports.

The level of play of your QB will ultimately determine the success of your franchise. 

The reality is pretty much the opposite of what you stated.   In today's NFL QB is pretty much the only thing that matters 

Overly simplistic. 

Would Brady win without all the defensive stars they imported? Hell no. Would he have won without Antonio Brown or Gronk? Hell no.

So, no. not buying...

Basically, all this GOAT hype is just that, hype. I believe that these players are very good, but you just can't compare people from one era to another without the bias of the person showing. How could I really vote for Brady when a) Tampa is the Miami Heat of the NFL and b) I think his longevity is greatly assisted by rules that allow a QB to play into his 40s effectively. If Joe Montana started his career when Brady did, do we think that he wouldn't be as good or better?

And, if it were the case, that one guy really only matters? it would be a sad day for the sport wouldn't it..