My Guess at the 27 players the Jets will cut to get to 53

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Totally Wild Guess

** Remember Jarrad Davis has to be on the 53 man roster before going on recallable IR

1. Mike White QB - Jets go with  behind Wilson
  2. James Morgan QB  - Jets go with  behind Wilson << PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  3. Josh Adams RB - Tough tough cut<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  4. DJ Montgomery WR
  5. Lawrence Cager WR  << PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  6. Vyncint Smith WR - Berrios wins the final WR spot<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  7. Jeff Smith WR - Tough Cut<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  8. Ryan Griffin TE
  9. Daniel Brown TE (Jets keep the promising Yeboah over the solid vet)
  10. Conor McDermott OL OR James Murray (Depending on McDermott's injury) 
  11. Cory Levin OL<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  12. David Moore OL<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  13. Isaiah Williams OL << PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  14. David Hermanns OL<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  15. Tanzel Smart DL<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  16. Aaron Odoye DLHamilcar Rasheed DL<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  17. Jabari Zuniga DL - Can they justify putting him on IR?
  18. Kyle Phillips DE (Moved to Reserve PUP)
  19. Del'Shawn Phillips LB<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  20. Camilo Eifler LB
  21. Isaiah Dunn CB<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  22. Elijah Campbell DB
  23. Jason Pinnock CB - 5th rounder gets the axe<< PRACTICE SQUAD TARGET
  24. Lamar Jackson DB
  25. Ashtyn Davis DB (Moved to Reserve PUP)
  26. Bennett Jackson DB

Vincent Smith is a questionable cut.  I would love to keep David Hermanns and Tanzel Smart, but if I were to keep one of the two, I would keep Hermanns.  But you are probably correct about all 3 players.  Tough cuts IMHO.  

I pray that they cut Zuniga.  I hope he gets picked up by another team, but I doubt it!

• Upvote 2

Morgans on the 53, chances are good that we lose him if we try and sneak him to the PS.

Hopefully Josh Johnson stays.  He has live arm and can play if needed, has game experience.  He can help Wilson with the inevitable hard times he'll have to navigate.   

Whites gone

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Some tough cuts there. I think in the past, the first 53 man roster looks a bit odd as GMs try and wiggle around trades, trying to make sure guys make it to the practice squad etc. So I could see a scenario where fans are like, why do we have X amount of players at this position?

Vyncent Smith is intriguing. Feels like half the board thinks he should make the team and the other half has him getting cut. He’s the closest thing to a tossup we have.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Some tough cuts there. I think in the past, the first 53 man roster looks a bit odd as GMs try and wiggle around trades, trying to make sure guys make it to the practice squad etc. So I could see a scenario where fans are like, why do we have X amount of players at this position?

Vyncent Smith is intriguing. Feels like half the board thinks he should make the team and the other half had him getting cut. He’s the closest thing to a tossup we have.

Where do you have Yeboah?

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Vyncent Smith is intriguing. Feels like half the board thinks he should make the team and the other half had him getting cut. He’s the closest thing to a tossup we have.

Thing about smith is that when will he really see the field when mims and moore are healthy.  I know injuries always occur and that crowder has a year left, but these smiths are a jag.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Perine and I really don't think Tevin Coleman is all that good. 

Coleman has results in this offense and a relationship with the coaching staff. He’s safe. Perine would be the guy who goes- similar style to Adams, but from all reports has looked good in camp.

from watching 30 years of preseason football it’s usually the guys out there in mop up time of the last preseason game who don’t survive the roster cutdown 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Morgans on the 53, chances are good that we lose him if we try and sneak him to the PS.

Hopefully Josh Johnson stays.  He has live arm and can play if needed, has game experience.  He can help Wilson with the inevitable hard times he'll have to navigate.   

Whites gone

I think Morgan goes to PS. Remember if he’s picked off our squad by another team he has to stay on roster the whole year and what team would want to guarantee that? He is still just a project. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Coleman has results in this offense and a relationship with the coaching staff. He’s safe. Perine would be the guy who goes- similar style to Adams, but from all reports has looked good in camp.

from watching 30 years of preseason football it’s usually the guys out there in mop up time of the last preseason game who don’t survive the roster cutdown 

Colemans relationship with Saleh may in fact save him but his entire career he's put up JAG numbers. 

Perine is gone I think. 

Josh Adams is a bruising RB who will get those 2 yards when you need them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Ala little John Flowers... that’s why I was torn. Because knowing how the final preseason game is played. I wanted him to get the carries. But knowing that’s generally how that works. I feel as though he certainly did enough throughout last year and this preseason. It would be a major mistake cutting this kid

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Colemans relationship with Saleh may in fact save him but his entire career he's put up JAG numbers. 

Perine is gone I think. 

Josh Adams is a bruising RB who will get those 2 yards when you need them. 

It wouldn’t shock me. Perine is interesting. He looked like he was running in mud last year but stories came out that he played through ankle injuries, and has apparently looked better in camp. Saleh referred to him as their bruising short yardage back.. so if there was a decision to be made it comes down to those two. I like Adams, mostly because we’ve seen it in games.

6 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I think Morgan goes to PS. Remember if he’s picked off our squad by another team he has to stay on roster the whole year and what team would want to guarantee that? He is still just a project. 

A team like the Jets that is in a massive rebuild and can afford to keep a raw young  QB talent instead of a 5th RB or 8th DB that have significantly less upside.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I don't think that is true.  He must be paid as a player on the roster for 3 weeks, and take up a roster spot, even if he is cut.

• If a practice squad player is signed to another team’s active roster, they will receive a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team. Their roster spot will also count against the 53 for three weeks even if they’re released before then.
  • Sympathy 1

One thing to keep in mind, in his extended interview late in the game last night, JD sounded anything but a guy that is going to give up on so many of the young guys, especially draft picks. He mentioned more than once that this is really a team of 1st and 2nd year guys who because of COVID are going through their first camp. Also mentioned that they” love their QB room.” Food for thought.?

• Upvote 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Adams has been the more effective 'big' back for the past two seasons.  Consistently better.  I see no reason to lost Adams while keeping Perine other than draft status, which is a stupid reason.  Stick Perine on the PS and if he goes, he goes.  Adams is the guy you want when you need to run out the clock or get 3 yards on 3rd down on the ground.  

This is the way.

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Vincent Smith is a questionable cut.  I would love to keep David Hermanns and Tanzel Smart, but if I were to keep one of the two, I would keep Hermanns.  But you are probably correct about all 3 players.  Tough cuts IMHO.  

I pray that they cut Zuniga.  I hope he gets picked up by another team, but I doubt it!

WRs are tough.  I see positive things to V. Smith, J. Smith, Cager and Berrios.  And we will only roster one, possibly two of them.

Jeff Smith was money on the Jet Sweeps last night.  Absolute money.  You need that play.

Vyncent Smith gives you speed and hands, but he overlaps with Berrios and Moore.  I think he's a better WR than Berrios, and if they can fill the PR/KR slots another way, I think I could see keeping him over Berrios, but it's close.

Cager is your red zone guy.  Maybe that's Mims but we haven't seen it.  And Davis is also tall but you need at least one more guy to go into the corner and play jump ball.  I don't see him making the 53, but I would love to see him hang around and maybe develop into that guy by next year, or later this season if we have some inevitable health issues.

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I don't think that is true.  He must be paid as a player on the roster for 3 weeks, and take up a roster spot, even if he is cut.

• If a practice squad player is signed to another team’s active roster, they will receive a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team. Their roster spot will also count against the 53 for three weeks even if they’re released before then.

Thanks for clarifying that

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I think this is right.  Even so, I honestly do not see ANY team taking Morgan off our PS.  There's nothing about him so far that stands out from a dozen other guys just like him, even with that admittedly nice rainbow he threw at the end of the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Vyncent Smith is intriguing. Feels like half the board thinks he should make the team and the other half has him getting cut. He’s the closest thing to a tossup we have

He seems to do all the things you need: fast, not small, plays specials both as a gunner and as a returner.

• Upvote 2