My Guess at the 27 players the Jets will cut to get to 53

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I think this is right.  Even so, I honestly do not see ANY team taking Morgan off our PS.  There's nothing about him so far that stands out from a dozen other guys just like him, even with that admittedly nice rainbow he threw at the end of the game.

Forget that throw. The one he made rolling out to his left, across his body ,25 yards to Smith that hit him in the numbers. That’s what the coaches will remember. There’s only one other guy on this team that can do that, and it’s not White or Johnson.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

crowder was our best wr last year

Darnold had a bond with him. Wilson seems to have a bond with Corey Davis.

Again, why are we keeping a vet when we have all this explosive size and speed and we're in Year One? I'd be happy with Berrios/Vyncent Smith in the slot.

32 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I think Morgan goes to PS. Remember if he’s picked off our squad by another team he has to stay on roster the whole year and what team would want to guarantee that? He is still just a project. 

No chance IMO. 

Supposedly others were interested in drafting him, they'd pouch him, I wouldnt take a chance of losing a 4th round pick who's played in one camp

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

WRs are tough.  I see positive things to V. Smith, J. Smith, Cager and Berrios.  And we will only roster one, possibly two of them.

Jeff Smith was money on the Jet Sweeps last night.  Absolute money.  You need that play.

Vyncent Smith gives you speed and hands, but he overlaps with Berrios and Moore.  I think he's a better WR than Berrios, and if they can fill the PR/KR slots another way, I think I could see keeping him over Berrios, but it's close.

Cager is your red zone guy.  Maybe that's Mims but we haven't seen it.  And Davis is also tall but you need at least one more guy to go into the corner and play jump ball.  I don't see him making the 53, but I would love to see him hang around and maybe develop into that guy by next year, or later this season if we have some inevitable health issues.

Sorry, but Elijah Moore is your Jet Sweep guy and Corey Davis is your Red Zone guy. Cagr is gone. V. Sith to the PS if he survives waivers.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Forget that throw. The one he made rolling out to his left, across his body ,25 yards to Smith that hit him in the numbers. That’s what the coaches will remember. There’s only one other guy on this team that can do that, and it’s not White or Johnson.

He makes good throws.  He has a nice arm.  But he's just not consistent.  Still very developmental and not the guy you put into the game.  Johnson was totally that guy last night.  I know there are reasons he's a journeyman with 8 starts on 13 teams or something like that, but honestly, he was the best QB on the field for either team last night.  I'm not even sure I wouldn't play him over Mike White based on what I saw.  I'm fine with keeping Morgan over White because neither one is going to be 'the one that got away', but I'd keep Johnson plus one of them over keeping them both.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I don't see all the love for Josh Johnson.  A 14 year vet looking good in the last preseason game?  I don't think it means as much as you think it does.  He will be on his couch and ready if they need him.  The guy couldn't get on a roster when teams were carrying 90.  Who is going to poach him when they get to 53?  He knows the O and he doesn't know everybody else's.  We are fine to cut him.  He's not going anywhere for a couple of weeks.

I am a big fan of Jeff Smith and Adams, but to me their use last night screamed of letting them showcase themselves.  Vyncint looked pretty good and is excellent on specials.  I think he makes it,  Maybe over Berrios, who seems to be behind Cole in damned near everything. 

I like Pinnock and think they lose him if he is cut.  He looked better in run support than the two safeties we have at LB.  Those guys looked like they were on roller skates.  Hopefully when the starting DTs are in they can get to the LOS cleaner.

Yeboah made things tough.  I figured he'd go to the practice squad.  I think Brown is a good special teamer and made some plays that people forget about.  For instance he had a 1st down catch and at the half the announcers said they hadn't completed anything to a TE.  Maybe he was running out of FB, or a penalty was called?  Griffin is hurt and signed through 2022.  He's over 30 and I'd probably waive him injured, but it is tough to gauge their thinking on him.  Can't really see carrying him and Wesco.

• Upvote 1

Do Phillips and Davis count against the 53 if they stay on PUP, or only once activated?

Any word on severity of Perine's foot injury or Echols shoulder? I think that, if healthy, both would make the 53.

Yeboah just might have made the team. Brown could probably survive waivers and make the PS.

15 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Why are we keeping Crowder with all this young, explosive talent?!

Which explosive talent do you see us cutting that would help Wilson more than Crowder who while not what you would call explosive is aa reliable and sure handed as a WR we have.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Like him too, but where does he fit?  

Youre not cutting Johnson, Coleman, Perrine or Carter.

I would keep Adams over Perine without blinking.  Honestly, I think he might be the best RB on our roster right now as I haven't seem much from Coleman either.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He makes good throws.  He has a nice arm.  But he's just not consistent.  Still very developmental and not the guy you put into the game.  Johnson was totally that guy last night.  I know there are reasons he's a journeyman with 8 starts on 13 teams or something like that, but honestly, he was the best QB on the field for either team last night.  I'm not even sure I wouldn't play him over Mike White based on what I saw.  I'm fine with keeping Morgan over White because neither one is going to be 'the one that got away', but I'd keep Johnson plus one of them over keeping them both.

Morgan never got to play with the 2’s really in any game, and the one he did GB, he threw all of 3 passes. He is a rookie, for all intent and purpose. They will not give up on him. Johnson is #2 for sure,but if they do anything for QB, it will be to upgrade #2 and have nothing to do with Morgan. Think White will be odd man out.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Which explosive talent do you see us cutting that would help Wilson more than Crowder who while not what you would call explosive is aa reliable and sure handed as a WR we have.  

small, slow, old.

When you have Corey Davis, big and fast, maybe you don't need to rely so much on Crowder. And you have young up-and-comers in Berrios and Smith. That said, i've been high on those guys from last year. So I just think it's there time. 

Just now, section314 said:

Morgan never got to play with the 2’s really in any game, and the one he did GB, he threw all of 3 passes. He is a rookie, for all intent and purpose. They will not give up on him. Johnson is #2 for sure,but if they do anything for QB, it will be to upgrade #2 and have nothing to do with Morgan. Think White will be odd man out.

I'm completely fine with that.  If any of them play, things have gone horribly wrong anyway.

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Cager is your red zone guy.

I dunno, I had a Stephen Hill flashback when he caught that fade - in his belly...  Yes, it didn't matter on that play, but it would have been nice if he came back to the ball and tried to high point it...

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Thing about smith is that when will he really see the field when mims and moore are healthy.  I know injuries always occur and that crowder has a year left, but these smiths are a jag.

It comes down to special teams more than anything. Both Berrios and Smith play them very well and may make the team based on that more than depth WR.

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I would keep Adams over Perine without blinking.  Honestly, I think he might be the best RB on our roster right now as I haven't seem much from Coleman either.  

I agree, adams runs with more authority and has more big play potential.  Also we don’t know the extent of perine’s ankle injury and if it will sideline him during the regular season.  But with Coleman, carter and johnson, it’s unclear where Perine fits beyond perhaps a goal line situation and even then I’d prefer adams.

Just now, IntoTheGreen said:

It comes down to special teams more than anything. Both Berrios and Smith play them very well and may make the team based on that more than depth WR.

I hear you.  But if the jets have injuries to wr and they need to put in another one into the game as a wr to help wilson, I’m choosing berrios.  He can get open and now they have a qb who can hit him when he makes those cuts.  Berrios and darnold was a bad combo b/c darnold was never good at those precision passing routes.

21 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Do Phillips and Davis count against the 53 if they stay on PUP, or only once activated?

• Once a player practices during training camp, all PUP list options are off the table.
  • This designation is only for players who do not practice at all with the team during the summer.
  • Starting a player on the PUP list at the beginning of camp leaves it on the table as an option if there is a setback, and if he comes off the PUP list during the preseason, he can’t return.

When roster cuts roll around after the final preseason game:

(i) if a player isn’t medically cleared; and

(ii) if he was on the Active/PUP list during training camp,

then he can be transferred to the Reserve/PUP, which prevents that player from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season. Players are only eligible for PUP if they were on the Active/PUP list all summer and did not play or practice with their team at any point.

Once they are medically cleared, they’re allowed to practice immediately.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Coleman is the starting 1-2 with Johnson IMO.

I would keep Adams over Perine too.  In a second but hes a 2nd year player and a JD draft pick.  

22 minutes ago, phill1c said:

small, slow, old.

When you have Corey Davis, big and fast, maybe you don't need to rely so much on Crowder. And you have young up-and-comers in Berrios and Smith. That said, i've been high on those guys from last year. So I just think it's there time. 

Smith is a dime a dozen every single team in the NFL has type at the back end of their roster player.  Nowhere near as reliable as Crowder.  A QB needs reliable not a guy who catches 14-25 passes a year

Josh Adams should make the team imo.  He was one of the best players on the field last night. As for Yeboah I think a practice squad candidate. Agree on the Qbs they will carry two probably Johnson to back up Wilson and PS one of the other two guys. Morgan does look improved over last year but all summer he was behind White on the depth chart. Of course there will be waiver pickups.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Colemans relationship with Saleh may in fact save him but his entire career he's put up JAG numbers. 

Perine is gone I think. 

Josh Adams is a bruising RB who will get those 2 yards when you need them. 

Perine is as good as gold.  If it was any question, he would have been playing yesterday fighting for his football career.  I actually think that Perine has looked very good in preseason.  He will be staying.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Why are we keeping Crowder with all this young, explosive talent?!

you know what, i made this argument when they were talking about releasing him before he took a pay cut.

i said there was no room for him, but everybody here wanted him to help develop Zach.

well apparently from the preseason games which i believe he caught one pass, we dont need him to develop Zach. we should trade him, hes not the future here. let us keep one of the younger guys.