My Guess at the 27 players the Jets will cut to get to 53

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not really concerned with what you consider cool. 

That's the thread title. 

I've posted my 27 cuts and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. 

You must not have a strong enough pulse on our 2021 Jets roster in order to form your own thoughts but yet you're the type of fan who will nitpick others without knowing how to make your own cuts.

Cool. Good for you. Good night dude.

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Nice. 

I don't agree with all of it, but that's ok.  I think V Smith is a lock to beat out Berrios.  But I also thin we're keeping 7 WR's so they both make it in my projections. 

I also think Eilfler is a PS Candidtate but at that level I could see some major shaking up with some guys brought in from the cut downs. over 800 players are about to be cut. It's hard to think that some of them aren't better than what we're holding on to here. 

Ben Banogu from the Colts is someone I have my eye on. 

I’ll bet you a dollar that Smith is cut before Berrios

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

r.  Wilson's arm is fine, but I don't think it is in the same category as White or Morgan even if he does throw better.

Wilson just doesnt use 100% power much. He has the biggest arm of the Jets QBs easily. BYU had him throwing like 10 yard outs to the sideline of the opposite hash and he did it with extreme velocity.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

so you've been to all the practices ? or are you judging by a few plays in preseason ?

I've read the recaps of all the practices, watched all the videos from them, watched all the preseason games. 

If you did too, you would agree. 

Count me as someone who suspects that there will be a lot more cuts than people are expecting, and that there will be a lot of roster churn with castoffs from other teams.  We have an excellent waiver wire position and we are desperate for help in a lot of places.  So I expect there to be a lot of familiar names that might be gone.

I'm looking at TE, inside OL, edge, ST and yes WR and QB, and maybe even CB (some of our high round rookies might simply get cut).

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That's the thread title. 

I've posted my 27 cuts and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. 

You must not have a strong enough pulse on our 2021 Jets roster in order to form your own thoughts but yet you're the type of fan who will nitpick others without knowing how to make your own cuts.

Cool. Good for you. Good night dude.

It is a topic to discuss.  Sarge made his guess.  I added my comments.  Of course I don't have a strong enough pulse on the 2021 Jets roster.  Neither do you.  I know the players, but not how the coaching staff sees them.  Neither do you.  I was just pointing out that Berrios middling stats don't make him safe. 

His job will probably depend on specials.  If they need cover team guys Vyncint Smith is ahead.  If they feel they need punt returns Berrios is safe.  Personally, now that he is expendable, I'd consider Crowder for punt returns.  He's probably better than Berrios or Cole.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Why?  You trying to make some money off of this ? lol

Heres one for ya. They are both being kept because we're holding onto 7 wrs. ?

Have to get my money back from the upcoming Carolina trip.

I think the WR count depends on who they can pick up on waivers. I also think Berrios adds to his value because he returns punts 

On 8/29/2021 at 11:54 AM, Maynard13 said:

No way Adams gets cut. Perine gets cut before Adams. Book it!

36 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I disagree 

This might be the most polarizing of the potential cuts.  The other one is who of Berrios, J. Smith, V. Smith gets cut.  

Personally, I like what Josh Adams has produced more than what I've seen from Perine but my view of things is like looking at a mural through a drinking straw, while JD, Saleh and the rest of the people actually deciding are seeing the whole thing.  

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This might be the most polarizing of the potential cuts.  The other one is who of Berrios, J. Smith, V. Smith gets cut.  

Personally, I like what Josh Adams has produced more than what I've seen from Perine but my view of things is like looking at a mural through a drinking straw, while JD, Saleh and the rest of the people actually deciding are seeing the whole thing.  

Adams vs. Perine is a toss up. I can see why so many Jet fans want Adams to get that last RB spot over Perine. 

The WR position is pretty straightforward to me. If the Jets keep 6 and cut Berrios for V. or S. Smith it would be a tragedy. Not only has Berrios caught everything in camp and shown chemistry with the rookie QB but he contributes on special teams as a returner, stays healthy and plays like his hair is on fire.  

And I don't think Berrios being a slot receiver should hinder his chances of making the roster. Moore and Cole can both play on the outside if need be. If there were an injury, I don't think we will be in a situation where we will be stuck with a bunch of 'slot only' WRs because we ended up keeping Berrios over V.Smith.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Adams vs. Perine is a toss up. I can see why so many Jet fans want Adams to get that last RB spot over Perine. 

The WR position is pretty straightforward to me. If the Jets keep 6 and cut Berrios for V. or S. Smith it would be a tragedy. Not only has Berrios caught everything in camp and shown chemistry with the rookie QB but he contributes on special teams as a returner, stays healthy and plays like his hair is on fire.  

And I don't think Berrios being a slot receiver should hinder his chances of making the roster. Moore and Cole can both play on the outside if need be. If there were an injury, I don't think we will be in a situation where we will be stuck with a bunch of 'slot only' WRs because we ended up keeping Berrios over V.Smith.  

IMO, if they keep Vyncint Smith over Berrios it will be because of cover teams.  I don't think it would be a tragedy and depending on the makeup of the team it might be the smart move.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Berrios has produced more on the field than Smith. I've said it before, but Smith is basically David Clowney. All athletic ability, speed and potential without much production on the field.

Put Berrios on the field, and he produces despite not being the biggest or the fastest. Smith should be the better player, but it hasn't shown on the field.

If I have to choose between the two, I'm keeping Berrios.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, section314 said:

Also, isn’t Smith the fastest guy on the team?

One of them.  This team is loaded with speed.  Both Smiths can fly.  As stated, I think Guidry has the best recorded 40.  He was behind only Ruggs.  A 4.29 at the combine is probably as good as any pro day 4.25 (I think Smith ran 4.35 at his).

39 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Berrios has produced more on the field than Smith. I've said it before, but Smith is basically David Clooney. All athletic ability, speed and potential without much production on the field.

Put Berrios on the field, and he produces despite not being the biggest or the fastest. Smith should be the better player, but it hasn't shown on the field.

If I have to choose between the two, I'm keeping Berrios.

I get where you are coming from, but I don't know what to make of Gase's WR usage.  Smith was hurt in camp and never got much run at WR.  He wasn't targeted until the last week.  He had some production the year prior despite coming on board after camp.  The interesting thing is that neither of these guys ever lasted on the street.  Both were poached before they could sit on a practice squad.  Jeff Smith was on the practice squad his rookie year for the early weeks, but even after being basically unused in the preseason, but even he has been rostered since early Dec 2019.  It will be interesting to see what they do. 

• Upvote 1

So one thing we know is a lock: Ammendola is our kicker. He has done everything right it seems and him being young with an insane leg make this a no brainer.

I think we roll with the CBs we have.

I think Kroft is the only guaranteed true TE, I think we grab at least one off waivers. Yeboah will be interesting. I think Saleh will want Yeboah but JD may want to give Herndon another chance.

I think we keep 7 WRs.

I am thinking Morgan as QB #2 with Johnson signed to veteran PS

I could see an injury settlement for Hardee.

I think they keep Perrine over Adams.

I think they bail on Zuniga.

Seems like Echols is OK. Was not among those mentioned as injured today. He is starter by Game 3 if not game 1.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:25 AM, GreenFish said:

Some tough cuts there. I think in the past, the first 53 man roster looks a bit odd as GMs try and wiggle around trades, trying to make sure guys make it to the practice squad etc. So I could see a scenario where fans are like, why do we have X amount of players at this position?

Vyncent Smith is intriguing. Feels like half the board thinks he should make the team and the other half has him getting cut. He’s the closest thing to a tossup we have.

Players like WR V. Smith, QB White, etc. that are kind of on the bubble can be retained with their current injury situations by putting them on IR and possibly then bring them back after week 3, which this season is allowed for teams for any amount of players.