Gardner Minshew traded to Eagles; Mullens Released

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I think this is a serious possibility but that was a good trade for the Eagles. 

A 6th rounder for a guy at the very least can be a quality backup QB is an excellent trade.  His numbers last year project to 4500 yards, 32 TDs and 10ints on the worst team in the league.

Gardner.PNG

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Didn’t Josh Johnson look fine last night? 

I defer to y’all that have been following this more closely. But Morgan and White have no upside. Johnson looked capabale.  I don’t know anything about Mullins other than him knowing the system.

So did Flacco, but it didn’t stop the Eagles from trading for Minshew. 

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I defer to y’all that have been following this more closely. But Morgan and White have no upside. Johnson looked capabale.  I don’t know anything about Mullins other than him knowing the system.

I agree. Keep Wilson and Johnson. IR White and Morgan PS. 

a 5th for a 3rd string QB?  no thanks.

was saying all offseason the jets should have signed Bethard or Mullens - now's the chance.  johnson did look good last night though - he could at least maybe compete if he's forced to start ever.

i don't want to give up anything for a backup QB.  no sense in it.

3 minutes ago, docdhc said:

This year is all about Wilson’s development. If he’s hurt it won’t matter if Foles would win a couple of meaningless games. Johnson is fine IMO. 

I agree it's Wilson's year, but it would be nice to have the insurance of a quality backup quarterback who could keep the offense producing just enough to continue to develop the rest of our young offensive core.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Typical Cimini.  "Ty Johnson, fun 2 watch".  No mention of Adams, who was even more fun to watch.  Adams is the most invisible 5 YPC rusher I've ever seen.  Saleh talks about the RBs and forgets to mention him.  Writers don't mention him.  He just keeps blasting away.  I truly don't get it.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Typical Cimini.  "Ty Johnson, fun 2 watch".  No mention of Adams, who was even more fun to watch.  Adams is the most invisible 5 YPC rusher I've ever seen.  Saleh talks about the RBs and forgets to mention him.  Writers don't mention him.  He just keeps blasting away.  I truly don't get it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

And, Josh Johnson is very experienced.  5th round pick in 2008-2009 (that's not a typo.... the guy has been in the NFL since before the Financial Crisis. lol)   He's a classic journeyman QB who has played in almost every NFL system with like 4 different teams.  He was with the 49ers previously for most of 2020 (practice squad) so I think this staff knows what they have with him.

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, docdhc said:

This year is all about Wilson’s development. If he’s hurt it won’t matter if Foles would win a couple of meaningless games. Johnson is fine IMO. 

You have a ton of youth on offense you are trying to develop.

If Wilson misses games, you want someone in there who can still run a viable NFL offense, which helps all those other players continue to grow and Foles gives you that.  

42 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Not sure why Philly would trade for minshew since they have flacco and he looked good last night.

Minshew is a veteran who has both leadership skills and some talent.  He still has upside and, this will sound funny, I think he's the next Ryan Fitzpatrick in this League.  He'll move back and forth between backup and occasional starter.  He'll agitate front offices (in a good way) because he can win some games and constantly threaten to be a starter, but then you see his limitations and realize he's a bit like a Doug Flutie.  Flacco won't play forever.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

It is all about Wilson's development entirely but it's also about moving this organization forward and getting away from being a losing organization. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Minshew is a veteran who has both leadership skills and some talent.  He still has upside and, this will sound funny, I think he's the next Ryan Fitzpatrick in this League.  He'll move back and forth between backup and occasional starter.  He'll agitate front offices (in a good way) because he can win some games and constantly threaten to be a starter, but then you see his limitations and realize he's a bit like a Doug Flutie.  Flacco won't play forever.

Good analogy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I agree it's Wilson's year, but it would be nice to have the insurance of a quality backup quarterback who could keep the offense producing just enough to continue to develop the rest of our young offensive core.

Jets are all in on Zach. We don’t need a guy like Minishew who’ll be gunning for his job. No distractions for Zach and staff. Ya, Ya, Ya if Zach can’t earn the job then he’s not worthy. We’re tied to him for the next 4 years. JD doesn’t back down on his boy

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Irish discrimination.  Been happening for centuries...