Gardner Minshew traded to Eagles; Mullens Released

Great trade for Philly.   I wanted Minshew 

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We should have made that trade for Minshew. Great value.

Mullens is as bad as it gets. Avoid.

I also said we should have traded for Minshew weeks ago.   I thought Mullens missed a bunch of easy throws last night.   Agree that we should look elsewhere for a backup QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jets are all in on Zach. We don’t need a guy like Minishew who’ll be gunning for his job. No distractions for Zach and staff. Ya, Ya, Ya if Zach can’t earn the job then he’s not worthy. We’re tied to him for the next 4 years. JD doesn’t back down on his boy

Don't agree, this is the Mark Sanchez way of thinking in which  the jets were so sure mark had poor confidence that they coddled the hell out of him and went out of their way not to have a valid backup.  (Brunnell at 38 years old)

Zac Wilson is our guy but no reason to just throw away the season if something happens to him.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Don't agree, this is the Mark Sanchez way of thinking in which  the jets were so sure mark had poor confidence that they coddled the hell out of him and went out of their way not to have a valid backup.  (Brunnell at 38 years old)

Zac Wilson is our guy but no reason to just throw away the season if something happens to him.

Rather just roll with Morgan. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Barkus said:

Not sure why Philly would trade for minshew since they have flacco and he looked good last night.

Good point. Minshew makes about 850k a year through 2022. Flacco makes about 3.5 on a one year deal but most of it was via a signing bonus. You wouldn't think they'd hold onto both of them. Philly is not the destination of Minshew that most people thought about. Maybe Flacco is now available esp after looking pretty good last night and they could recoup the pick they gave up for him although the price was very cheap. Also it's not inconceivable that Minshew could end up replacing Hurts if he struggles. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

Typical Cimini.  "Ty Johnson, fun 2 watch".  No mention of Adams, who was even more fun to watch.  Adams is the most invisible 5 YPC rusher I've ever seen.  Saleh talks about the RBs and forgets to mention him.  Writers don't mention him.  He just keeps blasting away.  I truly don't get it.

Adams is like Bilal Powell. No area of his game is a stand out. Just a workmanlike performer. 

• Upvote 4

Minshew has shown that he can't be the guy.  Mullens has shown that he can't be the guy.   If Saleh wanted him, they would have gone after him before the Eagles signed him.  That says a lot.   I don't see the point in getting either one of them unless they can help Wilson develop.  JJ has more than enough experience to fill that role.  Do you guys really want to win meaningless games if Wilson isn't under center?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Minshew has shown that he can't be the guy.  Mullens has shown that he can't be the guy.   If Saleh wanted him, they would have gone after him before the Eagles signed him.  That says a lot.   I don't see the point in getting either one of them unless they can help Wilson develop.  JJ has more than enough experience to fill that role.  Do you guys really want to win meaningless games if Wilson isn't under center?

You Play To Win The Game - Game GIF - Game You Play The Game To Win The Game Sports GIFs

Just now, Defense Wins Championships said:

Mullens stinks and stinks really bad. 

I remember debating against someone on here who was telling me that Joe Douglass needs to sign a veteran backup QB for Zach Wilson and how Mullens was the one etc. 

I couldn't have disagreed any more; Mullens stinks and stinks pretty bad. 

I was big on Mullens signing here after seeing him last night I changed my mind.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Have you looked at Minshew's numbers in the worst team in the NFL?

I'd say he has had 2 very good seasons considering the talent around him.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Have you looked at Minshew's numbers in the worst team in the NFL?

I'd say he has had 2 very good seasons considering the talent around him.

In 14 games, the kid had 21 TDs vs 6 INTs in 2019.  That's not a fluke.  I believe you take Minshew just for the possibility that he catches that magic again.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I remember debating against someone on here who was telling me that Joe Douglass needs to sign a veteran backup QB for Zach Wilson and how Mullens was the one etc. 

Agree.  Mullens is a one read clown who isn’t much better than Morgan

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

Minshew wants to start. They traded him somewhere he might have a chance to do that. He does NOT have that chance with the Jets.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

Why does Jaxonville care what he wants? If JD offered more, he’d be a Jet.

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yeah I prefer a QB2 with hypothetical upside not a know quantity JAG. It’s why I beat drum for Trubisky and then Minshew (and Tannehill before that).

My opinion maybe would be different if we were contenders.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Great move by philly. What a bargain. JD was sleeping?

Philly just traded away the FQB they drafted 4-5 years ago and spent a vast amount of assets to move up. Hurts was an afterthought. This is where you have a good old fashioned competition for starting QB. Best man wins and I think it will be GM. How good he actually will be will be interesting to see in NFC East. As long as he beats DJ regularly, I will be happy.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Yeah I prefer a QB2 with hypothetical upside not a know quantity JAG. It’s why I beat drum for Trubisky and then Minshew (and Tannehill before that).

My opinion maybe would be different if we were contenders.

Yeah, you beat the drum for two JAGS.  

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They have been a hot mess for some time.

Four years ago they won a SB, followed up by two 9 win seasons with their starting QB injured often, made the playoffs twice.

Not the kind of hot mess that some teams would like to have 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I would have made that deal with the Jags to get Minshew. As for Mullens the Jets had their chance to sign him in and they decided not to a few months ago. And our HC has experience with him from his time with the Niners. So maybe not interested. 

Mullens signed before the Jets traded Darnold. The Jets weren't prepared to do anything with the QB position at that time. 

FWIW, was listening to Anita Marks yesterday afternoon. She has some very good contacts around the league, and supposedly, Minshew was traded because he wants to start, was very vocal about it, and Meyer didn't want any clubhouse lawyers in the QB room looking over TL's shoulder, especially if he has the normal growing pains of a rookie.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Four years ago they won a SB, followed up by two 9 win seasons with their starting QB injured often, made the playoffs twice.

Not the kind of hot mess that some teams would like to have 

They were able to win the super bowl with their backup QB.  Something we are repeatedly told can't be done.  Through lack of chemistry and infighting they managed to destroy it all and finish last in the worst division I can remember.  They fought over credit for winning instead of sharing it and ruined a good thing five years too early. 

Imagine Doug Pederson.  WIns a super bowl and 4 playoff games in his last four years.  Tanks a game with Sudfeld for draft position and gets canned.  I guess that is what you get from people that think Chip Kelly was a good idea.

• Upvote 2