PFT: Deshaun Watson May be traded to Panthers or Dolphins this week

y2k8

For Week 1 and Beyond ... Please be the Panthers. 

Chatter builds of a potential Deshaun Watson trade

Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2021, 11:43 AM EDT

As noted earlier this morning, decision time is coming for the Texans and quarterback Deshaun Watson. The options are few. The one that has seemed the least likely in recent weeks could be the one that happens.

Multiple executives from teams not directly involved in the discussions tell PFT that there’s mounting chatter that Watson will be traded in the coming days.

The two finalists are believed to be the Panthers and the Dolphins. (The Broncos and Eagles also had been linked to Watson.) If it happens, it would turn things upside down for whichever team gets Watson.

It’s hard to imagine a team giving the Texans what they’ve wanted for Watson — three first-round picks and more. So either the Texans are taking what they can get (if a trade happens) or the Texans will accept a package tied to the number of games Watson plays over the next two or three seasons.

Between Miami and Carolina, the Panthers make more sense. Owner David Tepper has made no secret of his desire for a franchise quarterback. Sam Darnold could still become one. Watson already is. And Tepper, who once kept a set of brass balls in his office, seems willing to roll the dice, despite the lingering uncertainty surrounding Watson.

It needs to be remembered in every Watson story or discussion that he’s facing serious accusations. Those accusations could become adverse verdicts in up to 22 civil cases or a conviction on up to 10 criminal complaints. Any team that trades for Watson assumes the risk that Watson won’t be available to play — and they’ll also face very real questions about the willingness to bring to town someone who has been involved in such alleged misbehavior.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/28/chatter-builds-of-a-potential-deshaun-watson-trade/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If the Dolphins are even in the conversation at this point for Watson, they must not feel great about Tua. 

I don't think this is true.  I mean Tua may suck, but that's not the point.

Unless your current QB is named Mahomes or Rodgers...  Watson is an upgrade.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, DetroitRed said:

Why do you trade him when his value is at its lowest point?  

Maybe it's not.  Before most probably thought he wouldn't play this season.  Now with talk of the NFL not being able to do anything until the criminal investigation is over...  he may play all season.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Maybe it's not.  Before most probably thought he wouldn't play this season.  Now with talk of the NFL not being able to do anything until the criminal investigation is over...  he may play all season.

OK. I just would want multiple firsts in return.  Like 3

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

OK. I just would want multiple firsts in return.  Like 3

Don't forget Watson has clearly stated he won't play for Houston, so they're kind of limited with what they can demand.

Compensation tied to playing time seems fair imo.

Minimum a current "startable" QB, and a 1st.  Maybe another 1st or 2 if there's no suspension at all in next few years.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Don't forget Watson has clearly stated he won't play for Houston, so they're kind of limited with what they can demand.

Compensation tied to playing time seems fair imo.

Minimum a current "startable" QB, and a 1st.  Maybe another 1st or 2 if there's no suspension at all in next few years.

I would think they could say play or forfeit your pay at this point. His trade value is negligible until his legal problems are sorted out which isn’t happening until after the season it seems. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, docdhc said:

I would think they could say play or forfeit your pay at this point. 

True.  But that was the case prior to any of these non-football "issues".

Goes back to whether a team wants to get something in return for a top QB, or be in the position they are now (a horrible team).

They could get a decent starting QB for this year and at least some solid draft picks.

Watson likely is prepared to sit out indefinitely.  He really doesn't like Houston's ownership.

Im not buying any of this.  Sounds like his agent is leaking false news to drum up interest.  Its 2 weeks away from opening day.  U cant bring in a new starting qb now.

Tua has been tearing up the preseason and the players have been raving about his leadership.  U dont run a guy like that out of town for a scumbag.  I dont care how good watson is.

I think this is agent driven complete nonsense.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

For Week 1 and Beyond ... Please be the Panthers. 

Chatter builds of a potential Deshaun Watson trade

Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2021, 11:43 AM EDT

As noted earlier this morning, decision time is coming for the Texans and quarterback Deshaun Watson. The options are few. The one that has seemed the least likely in recent weeks could be the one that happens.

Multiple executives from teams not directly involved in the discussions tell PFT that there’s mounting chatter that Watson will be traded in the coming days.

The two finalists are believed to be the Panthers and the Dolphins. (The Broncos and Eagles also had been linked to Watson.) If it happens, it would turn things upside down for whichever team gets Watson.

It’s hard to imagine a team giving the Texans what they’ve wanted for Watson — three first-round picks and more. So either the Texans are taking what they can get (if a trade happens) or the Texans will accept a package tied to the number of games Watson plays over the next two or three seasons.

Between Miami and Carolina, the Panthers make more sense. Owner David Tepper has made no secret of his desire for a franchise quarterback. Sam Darnold could still become one. Watson already is. And Tepper, who once kept a set of brass balls in his office, seems willing to roll the dice, despite the lingering uncertainty surrounding Watson.

It needs to be remembered in every Watson story or discussion that he’s facing serious accusations. Those accusations could become adverse verdicts in up to 22 civil cases or a conviction on up to 10 criminal complaints. Any team that trades for Watson assumes the risk that Watson won’t be available to play — and they’ll also face very real questions about the willingness to bring to town someone who has been involved in such alleged misbehavior.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/28/chatter-builds-of-a-potential-deshaun-watson-trade/

watson no body wants him

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

True.  But that was the case prior to any of these non-football "issues".

Goes back to whether a team wants to get something in return for a top QB, or be in the position they are now (a horrible team).

They could get a decent starting QB for this year and at least some solid draft picks.

Watson likely is prepared to sit out indefinitely.  He really doesn't like Houston's ownership.

I’m surprised the city of Houston hasn’t burned that lawyer at the stake yet! Totally tanked the franchise for the next several years. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Carolina and Miami really dont seem to make sense to me as Carolina would need to move Sam + 3 firsts which would leave them with virtually no ability to improve the team as they also dont have a second round pick next draft.

Miami I get with Tua, but it doesnt seem like cutting bait with someone like Tua so soon is smart.

What does make sense to me is the Eagles - they just acquired Minshew who could backup Watson and they send Hurts and 3 first to Houston.  Houston then essentially tanks with Hurts at QB and ensures a top 1-2 pick and has a full chest of picks to build around a young QB.

No one is giving up 3 firsts for Watson now.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

inb4 Bill "Scumbag" Belichick swoops him and nabs Watson for a conditional 4th and 6th + Cam Newton, the lawsuit against Watson gets dropped, and the Patriots dominate the division for the next 10 years.

plus Zach Wilson gets syphilis

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I can't imagine any team trading for him at this point.  I would be shocked if anything happens until there's some clarity with his situation.

He can’t get suspended until after this season. Under the terms of the CBA he can’t be put on the commissioner’s BS exempt list until his criminal investigation (which is going nowhere) is over which probably won’t be until early next year

If Watson is suspended or put on exempt list during an ongoing investigation it can be inferred by an arbitrator that the investigation was unfairly prejudiced by Goodell’s dumb decision

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

inb4 Bill "Scumbag" Belichick swoops him and nabs Watson for a conditional 4th and 6th + Cam Newton, the lawsuit against Watson gets dropped, and the Patriots dominate the division for the next 10 years.

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if the pats trade for Watson.  The media will suddenly and coincidentally decide Watson did nothing and he’ll be ESPN’s hero in no time

Belichick is done with Newton.  Not only is he done he refuses the vaccine and then violates Covid-19 protocols

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t believe this. I call BS. He’ll be traded next offseason & he’ll sit out the year.

If the Texans were smart they would start him.  He’s not suspended.  He’s their player they are paying and they are further decreasing his trade value by making him sit out

1 minute ago, Albaniajet said:

If the Texans were smart they would start him.  He’s not suspended.  He’s their player they are paying and they are further decreasing his trade value by making him sit out

They aren’t making him sit out. There was just a full blown investigation launched on Watson. It’s a lot deeper than football for Watson at the moment 

• Upvote 1