Is pass rush help a given?

Dcronin

16 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Do we have $$ or assets to get someone to fill in the Lawson sized hole we now have??

Surprised it's been quiet for like 5 days on this. Thought we'd have someone by now. 

Who do you think we'll end up with?

They have young talent they're willing to give a chance too. Outside of that they'll wait for a good opportunity as opposed to go looking for a costly sub optimal one.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Do we have $$ or assets to get someone to fill in the Lawson sized hole we now have??

Surprised it's been quiet for like 5 days on this. Thought we'd have someone by now. 

Right now there is no one out there good enough to fill the hole that Lawson left in the Jets D.

I just don't see Douglas throwing draft picks at a meh ER just to do something.  if some one he likes gets cut, he'll claim them.  It's possible he trades some one like Crowder for a mid tier pass rusher.

Sad thing is it appears that Saleh's D requires a good ER to function properly.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Right now there is no one out there good enough to fill the hole that Lawson left in the Jets D.

I just don't see Douglas throwing draft picks at a meh ER just to do something.  if some one he likes gets cut, he'll claim them.  It's possible he trades some one like Crowder for a mid tier pass rusher.

Sad thing is it appears that Saleh's D requires a good ER to function properly.  

I don't know if it's so much pressure from the edge or pressure in general that is required. I know pressure up the middle is what used to destroy manning and destroys brady*?.

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

I don't know if it's so much pressure from the edge or pressure in general that is required. I know pressure up the middle is what used to destroy manning and destroys brady*?.

Pressure up the middle is always more disturbing to QB's, but it's usually the ER who get the sacks as the QB have to step back to avoid the the mid rush.

The Lawson, Williams combo seemed perfect. 

Jets tried everyone last night.  Couldn't bring much heat.  Even Huff, who I like couldn't  generate much.  Lawson is a big loss to this D.

We'll see if they can come up with something.  There's a reason ER's are the highest paid players after QB's.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I thought so too, but seems less likely everyday that’s go’s by. 

That’s hopefully JD trying to drive the price down on a FA pass rusher. The window is closing with the season upon us. A guy like Vic Beasley might have his salary dropping daily.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Pressure up the middle is always more disturbing to QB's, but it's usually the ER who get the sacks as the QB have to step back to avoid the the mid rush.

The Lawson, Williams combo seemed perfect. 

Jets tried everyone last night.  Couldn't bring much heat.  Even Huff, who I like couldn't  generate much.  Lawson is a big loss to this D.

We'll see if they can come up with something.  There's a reason ER's are the highest paid players after QB's.

When Q and Rankins are in the quarterback's face every other snap, the edge guys need to clean up when they roll out.  

Hopefully the secondary isn't playing so soft that they can dink and dunk us to death before Q can get home.  

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

That’s hopefully JD trying to drive the price down on a FA pass rusher. The window is closing with the season upon us. A guy like Vic Beasley might have his salary dropping daily.

Hopefully. I always got the feeling our approach to the secondary was predicated on having a pass rush and a defensive line that could stop the run. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hopefully. I always got the feeling our approach to the secondary was predicated on having a pass rush and a defensive line that could stop the run. 

That’s the only hope we have. Our back 7 is an area of great concern. Only  by collapsing the pocket do we stand a chance in the secondary.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

The edge rusher store has been closed but I did hear the shelves are empty.

We definitely have the assets, draft capital, but is the benefit this year, worth giving away the future. I lived in Dallas when the Mavericks traded away draft picks for an older Jason Kidd. So many people, especially the media, were screaming about how the Mavs gave away the future. But, they actually ended up winning a championship because of it. However, NFL rosters are much larger, and one person doesn't always make the change, excepting a Tom Brady type move. I don't see the Jets going and getting an available player or two that are going to change things significantly enough the next couple of years to justify giving up picks or major money.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

Who do you think we can just conjure up to fill Lawsons shoes?  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Some injuries you just roll with and next man up works

That one really hurt and next man up doesnt work

He was just killing it in camp and i was looking forward to finally having that 12-15 sack guy that other teams have to account for.  Such a bummer.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Barnett looks like a logical choice. Eagles have a couple of de to take his place. He’s young and has production. Eagles must be asking too much or Douglas is waiting for price to go down. Barnett is the only one I see that can help and not cost a high draft pick. But if I had my choice I’d sell the farm for Danielle Hunter. But that’s just a pipe dream.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

I have no idea, that's why I asked the question. I haven't been following the preseason that much. It's been glorious.

Theres no one available that anyone can get excited about.  Theyre all in the JD shopping thread. 

3 hours ago, Dcronin said:

We have plenty of both. I think the reason we haven’t done anything is that any of the guys available would push us from 5 wins to 6 at best, so it’s not worth pursuing 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe D admitted on the broadcast last night they are looking to add a pass rusher.  Someone will be brought in soon whether its a trade or someone who gets cut.

That’s almost a given, what people have to come to terms with and finally accept is that WHOEVER gets added as an EDGE for the ‘21 pass rush at this point before the season will NOT even replace 25% of what Lawson was projected to produce this year. Sucks, but such is life. 

We may get a young prospect that has tools and is cheap, that’s  about it; future draft capital is not worth sacrificing for a ‘21 band-aid. 

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

We have plenty of both. I think the reason we haven’t done anything is that any of the guys available would push us from 5 wins to 6 at best, so it’s not worth pursuing 

Why give up assets at this point. The Bills and Dolphins also have very deep lines and could cut a guy that would cost nothing. 

• Upvote 1