Yeboah will be cut - as he should be.

Paradis

I've hoped for Herndon to turn the corner the last 2 years, he'd have to have an incredibly dominant season for me to want to retain him after the season. For that reason Yeboah's upside as a 3rd TE is more interesting for me. I think is shakes down like

1) Kroft

2) Herndon (if Ertz is cut I think we bring him in)

3) Yeboah

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I've hoped for Herndon to turn the corner the last 2 years, he'd have to have an incredibly dominant season for me to want to retain him after the season. For that reason Yeboah's upside as a 3rd TE is more interesting for me. I think is shakes down like

1) Kroft

3) Yeboah

I don’t think Ertz gets past the Jags, the starting T.E on their Depth chart is Chris Manhertz, he had 6 receptions in 2020.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

I think me pushing back on emotional inflation comes across often as pompous or whatever. A lack of diplomacy on my end.

if this was an Xs and Os debate, I’d be more contemplative. I’ve had to concede disagreements to guys like @Chrebetfan80on more than one occasion ?

haha we all sound pompous when typing.  The best discussions have been the draft zooms and things like that where you can have real debates.  Those are the best breakdowns usually.  A lot gets lost in typing online unfortunately. 

We'll start a draft day podcast this year and put all our evals up haha

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I don’t think Ertz gets past the Jags, the starting T.E on their Depth chart is Chris Manhertz, he had 6 receptions in 2020.

As a vested vet, Ertz would not have to clear waivers.  Pretty sure he would immediatly become a free agent.  And he would not likely sign with us our Jags, I would expect him to go to a place he can win.  But I don't expect to see Ertz cut this week  If the Eagles are ready to move on, I would expect them to get a pick or player for him.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

As a vested vet, Ertz would not have to clear waivers.  Pretty sure he would immediatly become a free agent.  And he would not likely sign with us our Jags, I would expect him to go to a place he can win.  But I don't expect to see Ertz cut this week  If the Eagles are ready to move on, I would expect them to get a pick or player for him.  

Speaking of the Jags, think they just signed Devin Smith.

1) Kroft
3) Yeboah

Herndon & Yeboah are awful blockers. Wesco is a FB/TE hybrid.

10 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

So if we get DWC to put ALL of us on ignore, does that mean we don’t see his posts also, or he just doesn’t see ours?

I have always wanted a reverse ignore feature.  Allow us to decide if there are posters out there that we would prefer not to read our posts.  Would seem to be appropriate for a small number of posters out there.  There are certain topics you cannot discuss without knowing that a thread will be derailed. 

Seems to me when someone feels the need to put dozens of posters on ignore, the issue is with the ignorer and less the ignorees.

• Upvote 4

Has anyone noticed if Yeboah has played any special teams?  That is usually the route to the roster for young, bottom of the roster guys.  Unfortunately, NFL Game Pass no longer has All-22, so it is hard to ffigure out who is playing on ST at times.

If he doesnn't play specials, and he was playing in the 4th quarter of the last pre-season game, seems to me the writing is on the wall.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have always wanted a reverse ignore feature.  Allow us to decide if there are posters out there that we would prefer not to read our posts.  Would seem to be appropriate for a small number of posters out there.  There are certain topics you cannot discuss without knowing that a thread will be derailed. 

Seems to me when someone feels the need to put dozens of posters on ignore, the issue is with the ignorer and less the ignorees.

Totally agree.  It’s become brutal lately.   

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Just for record keeping purposes on my end, you were all about K. Toney being a thing, right?

The over drafted one?

Not any more than many others. I liked him well enough,  but I would say Pat Frieiermuth was more of a thing for me than Toney. By a long shot. (He's been called my man crush hahaha)

My WR's for this year had to do with not liking Waddle and Devonte Smith to have long careers as talented as they are.  I was more of a Rashod Bateman, Amon Ra St Brown and Tutu Atwell as a late rd steal kinda guy. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

This kid this. This kid that. (for you DWC)

can you say David Clowney? Kenny has bad hands. Good for him for balling out against the number fives on one of the worst defenses in the league. He’s not a natural receiver - but he is working on being a better blocker which is about where his future is. I think he’ll land on the practice squad but if you guys think we’re gonna hang onto him because of some hero ball moments, well that’s homerism in full bloom  

sign,

Tight End king. 

I think saying he has 'bad hands' and isn't a 'natural receiver' is pretty inaccurate. He's very unpolished, yes. He pretty much needs work in every aspect of his game because he is raw. But he is fast, athletic and has show he can catch the ball and make big plays. 

The Jets worked on blocking with him, in part so that he'd have a better shot to make the roster, have that foundation-imo. 

So, will he make the 53 with our current depth at TE? Unlikely but possible.

The TE position is wide open for anyone to step in and take the final roster spot. Kroft, Herndon and Wesco (FB) are locks. Griffin has the edge for that final TE spot. But, to me has not shown much. He's just a safer bet to fill in if Kroft or Herndon get hurt. Brown adds value on special teams- hasn't shown much otherwise. Yeboah is a riskier bet because he is raw. He hasn't done much until this game either.

It would be a surprise to see Yaboah make the team over Griffin even though I would personally prefer rolling the dice on a young player. Practice squad is the most likely scenario. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

If only that were true.,,, We would just need coach references. 

He's an athlete playing football, who (at the NFL level) has to demonstrate some inherent/natural ability at the position. If it was just about measurables or work ethic, we'd do a combine and call up trainers at the school. How does a guy like Logan Thomas switch back and forth from QB to TE? Waller?.... Why do guys like Ebron fail?... You have to be a natural at football at some point. He's not a natural receiver - and it's really hard for those guys to overcome that skill-gap - just ask the 100x C. Pattersons... 

There's 3 types of TEs (IMO)...

• all around naturals, like the guys Iowa and ND have been cranking out. 
  • The mostly blocker/jumbo TEs which are basically a thing of the past in the pros. If you look around the NFL, these guys are relegated to depth for about 1-2 years and if they can't "threaten" to catch the ball, they don't get on the field. Swing tackles are a better use of roster space. 
  • Receiving TEs.... which are basically a mix of Move/Joker TEs, AND oversized athletes pretending to be TE... The former comes in all shapes and sizes (Hernandez, Graham, Jonnu, Reed) but all share a common trait -- then are inherently football players who have a feel for manipulating LBs, finding separation, tracking the ball, and securing the catch.... The latter are just athletes who exploit matchups and broken coverages in College - especially in todays pass happy world. They get by because they're stud athletes. 

Which are you suggesting he is?  To me, his best shot is developing as a blocking TE as he's shown some grit in that department... but that's not enough in 2021 - and that's the reason for my skepticism. The jobs for blocking TEs who run 5 yard slants are short-lived bandaides. 

Anyway - i'll leave it at that. Kenny - prove me wrong and I'll buy your jersey with a smile

As a Derivative of watching and "studying" him I'm saying that he has the ability to develop into any one of them. He is a natural football player.  I don't know where that comes from. His "problem" was that he was not going to outshine the other WR's he was playing against for spots on the team. Rhule noticed that early but quite literally identified all of his football traits and essentially said "I have an idea for you buddy but it's not gonna be easy"  

Rather than saying "screw you pal. I'm ma WR"  he accepted the guidance and went to work changing his position. The reason he was courted by 10 or so college programs after that switch at Temple is because it was clear that he was ready to pop.  Lane Kiffin talked him into Ole Miss and here we are.  

He's got holes in his game still.  Calling him an average blocker can apply because he struggles with in line blocking still but Second level blocking is an area he excels at. He'll get it. Finding the seam is already his strength and his hands, while having trouble early in camp, are really not in question. 

Again, he's exactly the type of guy you keep around and develop. Especially in a season like this when young athletic TE's are not on the roster. 

He can fail sure, but that's where his hard work piece separates him from many others.  So we disagree and that's cool of course, but I was waiting for that game on Fri night and it happened.  The Hail Mary is what it is and count me as unimpressed with it as a reason to keep someone, but the rest of the game was good and falls right in line with his progression. 

I am not crafting an opinion after that game. I was calling for it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think saying he has 'bad hands' and isn't a 'natural receiver' is pretty inaccurate. He's very unpolished, yes. He pretty much needs work in every aspect of his game because he is raw. But he is fast, athletic and has show he can catch the ball and make big plays. 

The Jets worked on blocking with him, in part so that he'd have a better shot to make the roster, have that foundation-imo. 

So, will he make the 53 with our current depth at TE? Unlikely but possible.

The TE position is wide open for anyone to step in and take the final roster spot. Kroft, Herndon and Wesco (FB) are locks. Griffin has the edge for that final TE spot. But, to me has not shown much. He's just a safer bet to fill in if Kroft or Herndon get hurt. Brown adds value on special teams- hasn't shown much otherwise. Yeboah is a riskier bet because he is raw. He hasn't done much until this game either.

It would be a surprise to see Yaboah make the team over Griffin even though I would personally prefer rolling the dice on a young player. Practice squad is the most likely scenario. 

Except he really isn’t fast or overly athletic for a TE.  He’s doesn’t posses any burst or suddenness.   There was a reason he went undrafted and making the 53 was going to be tough for him if there weren’t injuries in camp.  With the expanded practice squad rosters and the flexibility of being able to move guys up and down this year, I would expect Kenny to be a lock for the practice squad.  I wouldn’t expect anyone claiming him off waivers and putting him on their 53 man either.    

• Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

As a Derivative of watching and "studying" him I'm saying that he has the ability to develop into any one of them. He is a natural football player.  I don't know where that comes from. His "problem" was that he was not going to outshine the other WR's he was playing against for spots on the team. Rhule noticed that early but quite literally identified all of his football traits and essentially said "I have an idea for you buddy but it's not gonna be easy"  

Rather than saying "screw you pal. I'm ma WR"  he accepted the guidance and went to work changing his position. The reason he was courted by 10 or so college programs after that switch at Temple is because it was clear that he was ready to pop.  Lane Kiffin talked him into Ole Miss and here we are.  

He's got holes in his game still.  Calling him an average blocker can apply because he struggles with in line blocking still but Second level blocking is an area he excels at. He'll get it. Finding the seam is already his strength and his hands, while having trouble early in camp, are really not in question. 

Again, he's exactly the type of guy you keep around and develop. Especially in a season like this when young athletic TE's are not on the roster. 

He can fail sure, but that's where his hard work piece separates him from many others.  So we disagree and that's cool of course, but I was waiting for that game on Fri night and it happened.  The Hail Mary is what it is and count me as unimpressed with it as a reason to keep someone, but the rest of the game was good and falls right in line with his progression. 

I am not crafting an opinion after that game. I was calling for it. 

I was waiting for it too. 

And he went out of his way to inbox message me in order to thank me for my support and belief in him. 

Screenshot_20210825-204836_Chrome.thumb.jpg.018608241a0e594132f108ffbe99cf3e.jpg

And so far @Green Bean

Our dude is a MAN OF HIS WORD. 

???

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Except he really isn’t fast or overly athletic for a TE.  He’s doesn’t posses any burst or suddenness.   

He is freakishly athletic and he's very fast for a TE of his size. 

He absolutely destroyed the elite SEC last year. 

Only 7 games but yet 27 receptions for 524 receiving yards @ an average of 19.4 yards per reception and 6 TD receptions. 

He destroyed the SEC and you know absolutely nothingness in regards to him (and its easy to tell too). 

11 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He is freakishly athletic and he's very fast for a TE of his size. 

He absolutely destroyed the elite SEC last year. 

So what makes him a “freakish” athlete?   Is it his 4.79 40?  His 34” vertical?  His 15 bench press reps?  None of these are considered “freakish”.   In fact they are pretty pedestrian.   

You are pretty much a joke around here and I’m probably going to regret even responding to you, but your nonsense is ruing this board.  You are predictable and moronic.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So what makes him a “freakish” athlete?   Is it his 4.79 40?  His 34” vertical?  His 15 bench press reps?  None of these are considered “freakish”.   In fact they are pretty pedestrian.   

"So unathletic". 

"So slow".

His tape completely disagrees with you. 

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

"So unathletic". 

"So slow".

I asked you a simple question, show me his freakish attributes and you can’t. What aspect of his game is “freakish”?  

Nothing in that highlight reel suggests freakish.  The ONLY reason you are flaunting him is because he is wearing a Jet jersey right now.  If he were playing for any other team in the league and someone suggested he was “freakish” you would have 30 posts proclaiming why he isn’t.  

Again, you are predictable, moronic and not based in reality.   

• Haha 3

I remember when mangini was here and he would talk about the most important announcement of the practice player of the week; every damn week he would talk about the practice player of the week and that player NEVER played in the game. No point being that guy if it never gets you playing time.

As a player you cannot control where you were drafted, or even when you get your chance to play; you have to make the best of your chance and Yeboah has done that. Last year, no matter how good a player was, Gase would play the veterans. The Jets are talking about changing the culture - if you get a player that does everything you ask, works hard and always gives his all and has tremendous upside, and most importantly, plays big when he gets a chance, you have to keep him over players that never step up. You want to change the culture, it starts with giving the players with talent, upside, and drive a chance.

Fans talk about Mimms shining against 3s, Yeboah the same. The truth is, if all you do is play against the 3s, that is all you can do. I remember watching players suck against the 3s; this was true about QBs especially, Geno, Hack, etc.

If you can't find a place on this team for Yeboah especially considering the total lack of talent at TE, then you will never build a quality, deep team. You want players to buy in, give the players that step up another chance, IMO. Hopefully the GM and the Coaches find a way to keep players like him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I asked you a simple question, show me his freakish attributes and you can’t. What aspect of his game is “freakish”?  

Nothing in that highlight reel suggests freakish.  The ONLY reason you are flaunting him is because he is wearing a Jet jersey right now.  If he were playing for any other team in the league and someone suggested he was “freakish” you would have 30 posts proclaiming why he isn’t.  

Agakn, you are predictable, moronic and not based in reality.   

Yup. I'm a Jets fan who raves about our talented players. And Kenny Yeboah is very talented.  He showed it at Ole' Miss against the elite SEC and absolutely destroyed both Florida and ALABAMA.

and then he once again, flashed his talents as a ROOKIE with 4 receptions for 100 yards and 2 TDs vs the Eagles and was the best player in the game. Of either team.

Joe Douglas and coach Saleh will agree with me when Kenny Yeboah makes the 53 (and I'll remind you of it).

I don't have an FSU avatar on a Jets forum. 

#GoClemson ?

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yup. I'm a Jets fan who raves about our talented players. And Kenny Yeboah is very talented.  He showed it at Ole' Miss against the elite SEC and absolutely destroyed both Florida and ALABAMA.

I don't have an FSU avatar on a Jets forum. 

#GoClemson ?

So no evidence of him being freakish?

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So no evidence of him being freakish?

▪︎ His film.

▪︎ His stats within the. ELITE SEC ala only 7 games but yet 27 receptions for 524 receiving yards @ an average of 19.4 yards per reception and 6 TD receptions. 

▪︎ His dominant performance as a ROOKIE vs Philadelphia ala 4 receptions, 100 receiving yards and 2 TD receptions. He was the best player on the field. Of any team.

(You should update to a Jets avatar).

• Thumb Down 1

He’s going to make the team. He’s got good hands, is tall as a ladder and would make a nice red zone target. And he’s got decent speed. Brown is a bum, Griffin never came back after his injury and Herndon is just an enigma. And let’s call him Yebo. Much easier to say and spell. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Herndon & Yeboah are awful blockers. Wesco is a FB/TE hybrid.

I don’t see how herndon makes the team, he adds nothing.  Wesco is a willing blocker and is the best FB option they have.  Kroft looked good last week and has experience.  Maybe yeboah pans out maybe he doesn’t but you can see he’s a more fluid athlete than herndon.  Plus herndon’s hands aren’t reliable anyway.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

▪︎ His film.

▪︎ His stats within the. ELITE SEC ala 7 games but yet 27 receptions for 524 receiving yards @ an average of 19.4 yards per reception and 6 TD receptions. 

▪︎ His dominant performance as a ROOKIE vs Philadelphia ala 4 receptions, 100 receiving yards and 2 TD receptions.  

(You should update to a Jets avatar).

Lol…stats?   Again, you’re so predictable.  Enjoy. 

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Lol…stats?   Again, you’re so predictable.  Enjoy. 

Guess you ignored his film.

His film is how he recorded those beast stats. 

Do you think his stats just "magically appeared" or something? ?It's called game tape. 

And I am predictable.  I'm telling you 100% he's making the 53 and coach Saleh and JD will agree with me. And I'll remind you about it. 

25 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

"So unathletic". 

"So slow".

I’m not sure take cam so that. Pretty sure if someone is freakishly athletic they measure that by his workout numbers. Yet, just because someone has freakish athleticism demonstrated by his numbers doesn’t mean they will be a good football player.  I e noticed that when someone may look like he’s freakishly athletic on certain plays and very well may be at that time? It’s the workout numbers and that superior athleticism that makes it more likely to happen on more plays and it’s the consistency that makes a great career. 

I will toss my two cents into the fray.

Yeboah became a pro prospect because he put up some good numbers in college so the pro scouts paid him a visit.  This is how it happens fellas.  You put up some tape and the scouts will appear and take their measurements and put you through the drills. 

At these sessions Yeboah demonstrated that he lacks decent wheels.  4.75 in the 40 is NOT good enough for H-back duty.  However, if the player has good hands AND enough size/weight then NFL teams can use him.  In college, the swift huge men of the NFL are rare.   You do not need the extra weight and power to play major college tight end.  This is why NFL teams find it necessary to develop inline tight ends.  Guys like Gronk who enter the NFL as devastating blockers are few and far between.  Most blocking tight ends need time to develop.  Which brings me back to Yeboah.

The scouting report said the guy's hands are excellent and he has good form as a blocker.  The scouts believe he has a future in the NFL BECAUSE his angular frame could "easily" carry another 20 lbs of muscle which would bring his weight closer to the 270 lbs that blocking tight ends in the NFL need to carry.  At draft time, he weighted 247 lbs and that is just not enough to be the inline tight end.  Unless you have speed to split the seam - 4.75 does not cut it - 247 lbs is not enough weight.   

Said Our Lads - who gave him a fourth round grade:

He has the "possibility of being an every down asset down the road" who has the frame "to add functional weight". 

A classic developmental project as a blocking tight end with inline starter upside.  I do not know about any of you, but I have seen everything in that scouting report in the preseason games.  He is a sure handed pass catcher with limited speed whose potential will be realized when he has added the functional weight necessary for the NFL trenches.

This is a long winded way of saying Yeboah can help us and become a real asset.  But to make the Jets, he will have to be the blocking tight end - he may not be ready yet fellas.  He is an ideal candidate for the practice squad.  I think he is likely to clear waivers.  While he had other offers as an UDFA - he spent camp with us and is of limited utility to other clubs because they would be starting from scratch.  They would have the same problem we have.  To have him make the club he will have to play.  A lot. 

He will be cut this year and added to the practice squad.  Next year, he makes the team and is a regular in short yardage, goal line and anytime we want two tight ends in the game.  A staple of the Shanahan offenses.  He has the hands, he needs to eat his Wheaties.  

His best chance this year lies in Brown's presence on the injury report.  I suspect the Jets are loath to part ways with Brown.  Oh, he will be cut too.   I fully expect the Jets to go down to 50 players and milk that #2 priority for all it is worth.   It is just that Brown can be cut and brought back again just like he has in the past.  But that 50 player line is also why I think it unlikely that Yeboah makes the 2021 Jets.  I confess, I AM rooting for him.  May he shut my mouth.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2