Jump to content

Betty’s Post Camp Musings


BettyBoop
 Share

Recommended Posts

It’s almost Labor Day and that means two things.  No more wearing white and our hopes from the last six months are rapidly fading.  What looked like legitimate hope that our roster was being built the right way on both sides of the ball has been shattered by injuries.  For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.

It might have been a season to build on but in one fell swoop Carl Lawson is lost and so is our chance of having a decent enough defense to carry a rookie QB.  Without a pass rush our secondary will likely be exposed.  With our secondary exposed Wilson will be playing catch-up with an offensive line not ready for prime time.  Perhaps they will gel after the bye and the only hope will be to be on the right side of 46-43 battles.  The 2022 free agency and draft will likely have to focus heavily on defense.  Pass rusher, linebackers and corners will be a priority.  So will right guard and tight ends.  

Is all lost?  Maybe, maybe not.  Zach could emerge as a legit top tier QB.  Davis and Moore could become one of the most dynamic duos in the league.  Becton and AVT could be Brick/Mangold 2.0.  Michael Carter could become another Freeman McNeil.  Saleh and the CS could be what this team has been missing since the original Betty Boop was on air teasing young boys in her scanty outfits.  

Ah yes, what might have been.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's pretty clear the narrative that has emerged from our beat writers is:

  • The defense sucks and we're really going to miss Lawson
  • Zach is good when he has protection but has had some issues when the protection breaks down, which it has at times.
  • If our defense is a sieve and we're playing catchup (lack balance on offense) we're going to struggle.

I think our running game getting going is pretty key to the whole season. If we can't run the ball, it's going to affect everything else.

  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deep down we all know there is some rough sledding ahead.  The young pieces on offense should hopefully shine enough to pull out some games that come as a nice surprise.  I think we would all be happy with 6-7 wins and a narrative that our offense just needs a better defense.

I also wouldn't mind slapping the phins down in to last in the division straight in to drafting another QB.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

It’s almost Labor Day and that means two things.  No more wearing white and our hopes from the last six months are rapidly fading.  What looked like legitimate hope that our roster was being built the right way on both sides of the ball has been shattered by injuries.  For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.

It might have been a season to build on but in one fell swoop Carl Lawson is lost and so is our chance of having a decent enough defense to carry a rookie QB.  Without a pass rush our secondary will likely be exposed.  With our secondary exposed Wilson will be playing catch-up with an offensive line not ready for prime time.  Perhaps they will gel after the bye and the only hope will be to be on the right side of 46-43 battles.  The 2022 free agency and draft will likely have to focus heavily on defense.  Pass rusher, linebackers and corners will be a priority.  So will right guard and tight ends.  

Is all lost?  Maybe, maybe not.  Zach could emerge as a legit top tier QB.  Davis and Moore could become one of the most dynamic duos in the league.  Becton and AVT could be Brick/Mangold 2.0.  Michael Carter could become another Freeman McNeil.  Saleh and the CS could be what this team has been missing since the original Betty Boop was on air teasing young boys in her scanty outfits.  

Ah yes, what might have been.

 

 

With 2 veteran safeties the otherwise young secondary could surprise and be decent. With really good tackles the push up the middle could generate some pressure and be good against the run. I’m not willing to write off the defense yet. Everything though depends on Wilson developing into something special and then the rest will fall into place. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am hopeful with this team and most importantly the coaching staff. This team, especially offense, looks night and day better than last year - even with the likes of White and the Captain back there. The team is fresh and they are fighters.

I am most hopeful about finally having a head coach known for DEVELOPING talent. How many years, or decades, have we seen way too little of this. I think this season is going to be fun to watch. I think the team, especially on defense will look significantly better at the end of the season than in the beginning of the season.

That being said, we are an extremely young team with a lot of holes on both sides of the ball. IMO we have little if any talent and experience in the secondary and at TE. This is extremely important for winning games, especially TE for a young QB. I never thought this team was going to the playoffs this year even with Lawson - sure he would help protect this young and inexperienced secondary. 6 or 7 wins would be welcome.

I hope i am completely wrong and we get meaningful games in December, but that was a bad team last year; poorly coached with little talent. Also consider that last season was not good for rookies, we basically have two seasons of rookies (which is good as they weren't ruined by coaching last year). Realistically speaking, I think this team may be able to compete in 2022. Again, I hope i am wrong - will be more than happy to eat crow in December for this statement - please Jets, prove me wrong.

Either way, I am going to enjoy the season. I like the energy and watching some of this young players hopefully explode on the scene.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's pretty clear the narrative that has emerged from our beat writers is:

  • The defense sucks and we're really going to miss Lawson
  • Zach is good when he has protection but has had some issues when the protection breaks down, which it has at times.
  • If our defense is a sieve and we're playing catchup (lack balance on offense) we're going to struggle.

I think our running game getting going is pretty key to the whole season. If we can't run the ball, it's going to affect everything else.

3 bullets, two the same and the other I never heard as an issue.  Wilson wasnt touched in the preseason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

3 bullets, two the same and the other I never heard as an issue.  Wilson wasnt touched in the preseason

Playing against backups. The Packers and Eagles throttled our starting o-line in practice.

I'm not declaring it a crisis but those practice reports mean more than preseason games where these guys aren't even playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Playing against backups. The Packers and Eagles throttled our starting o-line in practice.

I'm not declaring it a crisis but those practice reports mean more than preseason games where these guys aren't even playing.

So were projecting that he'll get lots of pressure and wont be able to handle it off of practices?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I hate all the angst we have here over the Lawson injury. Yes he’s a good player, but he’s never been a great one. I’m not certain about his career numbers, but I think he’s played 5 seasons, and never had more than a handful of sacks.

@BettyBoop I’ll ask you one question here… If Lawson is that irreplaceable and dominant, how was it that the Bengal defense was so mediocre when he was there?

When I looked at our D, even before his injury, all I saw was an incredibly young and inexperienced secondary, a LB corps that is mediocre at best, and a DL that was better than most assuming QW continued to improve and Lawson was able to stay healthy (which is something he had no history of doing). Best case scenario was the Jets being a middle of the pack defense with Lawson.
Saying his injury cost us our season is very SOJF in my opinion. We’re not the only team that has and will lose a key player to injury, we just happen to have less depth and one of the least talented rosters in the NFL. That’s what will cost us this season.

Lets develop the QB, and the players around him on offense, then upgrade the defense next offseason.

Very good point.  Lawson shining in training camp doesn't necessarily make him LT on game day...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

biggest issue for me is the lack of work as a unit for offensive line due to injuries. That's going to be a problem in the early going.

This. The next time Becton and AVT line up together during a game will be the first time. Tough to build chemistry that way.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

This. The next time Becton and AVT line up together during a game will be the first time. Tough to build chemistry that way.

I was concerned about this as well, but even if they were both healthy they would have played 4 or 5 series together, against not blitzing, non game planning defense.  

I'm not really sure how much missing the pre-season games will matter.  

My real big concern is can they stay healthy?  Nothing about Becton gives me any level of comfort he can.

Know nothing about AVT other than he got hurt already - and we have NOOOO depth at Guard.  If AVT goes down - this is, essentially the same OL as the worst one in the NFL from last year.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that the Jets are planning to use Coleman, Mims and Perine a lot on this offense, but they let the younger guys get a lot of reps to help them along. 
 

I believe that Sherwood is a long way away from being a MLB. probably a year. If they start him and roll with the punches I believe that indicates that they see this as a developmental season, and we should keep that in mind 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So were projecting that he'll get lots of pressure and wont be able to handle it off of practices?  

What are you talking about?

Beat reporters have reported Zach has struggled with pressure in practice and that our o-line has had their asses handed to them in pass protection by the Packers, the Eagles, and our own defense.

I don't know what it's like to be such a homer than the mere mention of what is actually going on is some personal affront -- I'm just letting you know what is being reported by people who are seeing it with their own two eyes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What are you talking about?

Beat reporters have reported Zach has struggled with pressure in practice and that our o-line has had their asses handed to them in pass protection by the Packers, the Eagles, and our own defense.

I don't know what it's like to be such a homer than the mere mention of what is actually going on is some personal affront -- I'm just letting you know what is being reported by people who are seeing it with their own two eyes. 

Here is the thing though.

The OL has been terrific in the preseason games. They’ve run the ball well and both Zach Wilson and Josh Johnson had plenty of time. 
 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What are you talking about?

Beat reporters have reported Zach has struggled with pressure in practice and that our o-line has had their asses handed to them in pass protection by the Packers, the Eagles, and our own defense.

I don't know what it's like to be such a homer than the mere mention of what is actually going on is some personal affront -- I'm just letting you know what is being reported by people who are seeing it with their own two eyes. 

AVT has been injured, Becton with was going through something in practice more than likely it was Feeney.  
Until we see it in games it’s useless chatter.  Beat writers never said Wilson struggled with pressure.  His game was affected, yes, like every QB on the planet.  Yeah, it’s being a homer to say in three games we haven’t seen our QBs harassed.  Should be like real fans imagining how it will all be different, every game of 2021

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Salehery said:

Here is the thing though.

The OL has been terrific in the preseason games. They’ve run the ball well and both Zach Wilson and Josh Johnson had plenty of time. 
 

 

Not against starters.

I don't think it's overreacting to read the practice reports and summarize that we've struggled in protection which will likely happen against good defensive units.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy negativity !

Youd think carl lawson was reggie white if you just woke up from a coma.

Ok if you want some reality heres some more: before this season, hardly anyone here ever heard of carl lawson ( here comes the parade of “i knew him well what r you talking about ? You dont watch much football” types

The dude was and is a so so player. One notch above a jag at best. 
 

So jet fans make him out to be something they really wanted and hoped for and when he goes down, the season is over?

cmon now

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2021 at 12:29 PM, shuler82 said:

This. The next time Becton and AVT line up together during a game will be the first time. Tough to build chemistry that way.

well they got two weeks to get their signals straight.  if avt is the stud he's made out to be the left side will be just fine.  and if that happens then there's going to be a whole lotta places to run the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...